Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

If there is a clone of Palpatine in the movies, that's worse than the Prequels IMO. That would be lazy. It was lazy when they did it in the Dark Empire series back in the 90s.

Agreed, I'd rather see either one of Luke's students turn or perhaps just another Sith come out of hiding than a Palpatine clone

I always felt early in the Jedi history, the Jedi had children. These children, born with Jedi powers, but weren't always eager to follow the strict Jedi code, follow the teachings or beliefs of their parents, and chose to abandon their teachings and went rouge and used their skills for personal gain. Over time, the Jedi were forced to deal with these rouges , and were no longer allowed to marry or have children themselves. The Rouge pseudo-Jedi, undisciplined and unchecked began to experiment with the dark side of the force and eventually formed their own sect called the Sith.

If the Sith could be created spontaneously, or Jedi could go rouge and begin to use the dark side of the force, with a strong enough leader, they could become a threat once more on an epic scale. I don't think they need Palpatine to reintroduce the Sith.

As I understand it, the PT masters were shot in 1080p HD digital. That means that, basically, you'll never squeeze more resolution out of them. The highest resolution you're ever gonna get is....1080p. There's no other source material.

Phantom Menace wasn't shot digital but 35mm like OT.

But you can still get higher res from 1080p shot digital material.

My sister emailed me a quote from the new Entertainment Weekly where they responded to the story about a new SW movie every year in 2015 with "'The Force will be with you always' is starting to sound like a threat." :lol

Having never read any of the books but hearing bits here and there... My feeling is that a member of the Skywalker or Solo clan will turn. Why he/she or both turn could be any number of reasons. Which leads me to my next thought. Despite how much we love the character, I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of Han Solo being killed. Why and how remain a mystery... But this tragic loss "could" be why a family member turns to the dark side. Think of the chaos!!! Not only would "we" be upset, but the pure raw emotion of such a loss could be critical and beneficial to the overall story!

Then again I could be way off and we'll see a twisted, haunting and mystical love story between Sy Snootles and Jar Jar Binks... Someone has to think of the children...

Phantom Menace wasn't shot digital but 35mm like OT.

But you can still get higher res from 1080p shot digital material.

You mean like this?

'Cause everything I've ever heard about this stuff says the above video is basically impossible. You can't add information to an image that isn't there to begin with. You can guess at it, but it's just making stuff up, basically. Upscaling software is really just high-tech guesswork, and the same way you can't turn a crappy 1990s 800x600 digital camera photo into a 2 megapixel image (much less a 4x5 large format image), you can't take a 1080p digital master and turn it into a 4K quality image. You can run "algorithms to enhance the z-axis" on it, but it's basically no different from an upscaled DVD run on your blu-ray player. If the information isn't there, you can't add it back in. All you can do is guess at what might have been there. I would expect that, even using high-end software, an upscaled image will end up looking artificial and "too smooth" to the human eye.

I suppose it's possible that Disney would go for something approximating "image continuity" and would intentionally "dumb down" the image detail in the OT just so that it matches whatever upscaling software they end up having to use on the PT, but that seems pretty silly to me. Basically, I don't see a reason NOT to restore the OT, outside of that. And then if they're gonna do that, they might as well just film all the new movies from here on out -- including the "new every year" films -- in 1080p forever, advancements in technology be damned.

But hey, if they want to do that, fine and dandy. I'm sure a piracy network will eventually be created to get 35mm prints redone properly. There are enough committed geeks out there who will want the OOT one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

No I don't mean like that. Don't kill the messenger! ;) I always laugh at stuff like that on CSI for example. Like you said if the information isn't there...
I just said you can upscale it. Never said it would look good or anything like that. Another reason why they should continue using film. Imax!

I don't necessarily disagree, but, that having been said, I think Disney sees much bigger profits in developing the franchise further. What do you think is going to make them more money, a new trilogy of films and a spate of standalone films, or re-releasing the OT on blu-ray?

Honestly, in spite of the confidence many people here have that Disney will release the OOT in some form, I would not be surprised if it wasn't even on Disney's radar. Mind you, I'm not saying that it is or isn't, only speculating.

I couldn't agree more! I think Disney is looking at the overall SW universe as a cash cow. And they can expand the SW universe into any direction they want. That's a good thing! Think about it... do we HAVE to stay with the Skywalker/Solo clans? Not at all. It was a Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far away... I'm sure there were other adventures going on... :) I would enjoy seeing some original stories with new characters with even more dark plot twists... :)

Back to topic... I think Disney knows what and how much the OT means to the original fans - most of us are still out there. The only thing I can think of that would prevent the release of "the" OT is part of the original agreement penned by Lucas/Disney states that the SE OT are now the official source files... And unfortunately, I can see that being the ultimate plot twist!

No I don't mean like that. Don't kill the messenger! ;) I always laugh at stuff like that on CSI for example. Like you said if the information isn't there...
I just said you can upscale it. Never said it would look good or anything like that. Another reason why they should continue using film. Imax!

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as snarky or dismissive. Looks like we're on the same page anyway. But that's also why I think they'll end up remastering what they can: the image quality will get progressively worse/weirder over time. And yeah, another argument in favor of film.

I couldn't agree more! I think Disney is looking at the overall SW universe as a cash cow. And they can expand the SW universe into any direction they want. That's a good thing! Think about it... do we HAVE to stay with the Skywalker/Solo clans? Not at all. It was a Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far away... I'm sure there were other adventures going on... :) I would enjoy seeing some original stories with new characters with even more dark plot twists... :)

Back to topic... I think Disney knows what and how much the OT means to the original fans - most of us are still out there. The only thing I can think of that would prevent the release of "the" OT is part of the original agreement penned by Lucas/Disney states that the SE OT are now the official source files... And unfortunately, I can see that being the ultimate plot twist!

I kinda doubt that's the case. Why would Disney buy a property that it couldn't completely control? I could see them CHOOSING to maintain the SE, but not shelling out billions of dollars to accept some limitation on the property itself.

I honestly don't think they'll kill the SEs. I think they'll continue making them. But I also don't see that doing so precludes them releasing a remastered version of the OOT. I mean, really, why does it have to be an either/or situation? the only thing I can think of is money reasons, but I can't see how they wouldn't make money off of a release of the OOT.

I mean, everyone out there, be honest: who among us WOULDN'T pay for a remastered, restored, archival OOT? Who here would say "Meh. I don't want or need that in my collection"? I bet everyone, even people who LOVE the SEs, would buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as snarky or dismissive. Looks like we're on the same page anyway. But that's also why I think they'll end up remastering what they can: the image quality will get progressively worse/weirder over time. And yeah, another argument in favor of film.

I kinda doubt that's the case. Why would Disney buy a property that it couldn't completely control? I could see them CHOOSING to maintain the SE, but not shelling out billions of dollars to accept some limitation on the property itself.

I honestly don't think they'll kill the SEs. I think they'll continue making them. But I also don't see that doing so precludes them releasing a remastered version of the OOT. I mean, really, why does it have to be an either/or situation? the only thing I can think of is money reasons, but I can't see how they wouldn't make money off of a release of the OOT.

I mean, everyone out there, be honest: who among us WOULDN'T pay for a remastered, restored, archival OOT? Who here would say "Meh. I don't want or need that in my collection"? I bet everyone, even people who LOVE the SEs, would buy it.

I only mentioned our not being able to see a digitally remastered OT is because of Lucas' constant picking and changing. We don't know what was in the contract... We really have no idea what's coming. But oh yes, I will be first in line to buy a copy if it becomes available. :)

Like several others, I'm not too crazy about the clone idea, it just seems out of place to me. I've also always had a problem with the way most clone stories are treated, to me it doesn't make much sense for a lot of villains to have clones since, in most places, it's just a duplicate of them but it's not them so whenever Villain Prime dies they're dead but their place is just taken over by their clone but they're still dead. For a Palpatine clone idea to work for me it would require the spirit/soul of Palpatine still living on somehow, maybe as something of a Force ghost ala Obi-Wan, Yoda, & Anakin but not quite as substantial or influential and in order for him to come back he needs a host body and for whatever reason it needs to be a clone of his. However, over the years all of his clones have been lost or destroyed until he finally comes across one last surviving clone that was "rescued" as a child and is being raised as some couple's own. The Republic becomes aware of this and now both the Republic and Palpatine are busily searching for this lost clone child and to make things really interesting, the Republic forces (possibly including Luke's or Han & Leia's) have orders to kill the child if all else fails in order to prevent the Emperor from finding the child and taking him over.

Like several others, I'm not too crazy about the clone idea, it just seems out of place to me. I've also always had a problem with the way most clone stories are treated, to me it doesn't make much sense for a lot of villains to have clones since, in most places, it's just a duplicate of them but it's not them so whenever Villain Prime dies they're dead but their place is just taken over by their clone but they're still dead. For a Palpatine clone idea to work for me it would require the spirit/soul of Palpatine still living on somehow, maybe as something of a Force ghost ala Obi-Wan, Yoda, & Anakin but not quite as substantial or influential and in order for him to come back he needs a host body and for whatever reason it needs to be a clone of his. However, over the years all of his clones have been lost or destroyed until he finally comes across one last surviving clone that was "rescued" as a child and is being raised as some couple's own. The Republic becomes aware of this and now both the Republic and Palpatine are busily searching for this lost clone child and to make things really interesting, the Republic forces (possibly including Luke's or Han & Leia's) have orders to kill the child if all else fails in order to prevent the Emperor from finding the child and taking him over.

That or gholas. But Frank Herbert's estate might have a few things to say about that.

The Republic becomes aware of this and now both the Republic and Palpatine are busily searching for this lost clone child and to make things really interesting, the Republic forces (possibly including Luke's or Han & Leia's) have orders to kill the child if all else fails in order to prevent the Emperor from finding the child and taking him over.

Whoever heard of killing children in a Star Wars movie...?! Unthinkable!! :rolleyes :facepalm

...I think Disney is looking at the overall SW universe as a cash cow. And they can expand the SW universe into any direction they want. That's a good thing! Think about it... do we HAVE to stay with the Skywalker/Solo clans? Not at all. It was a Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far away... I'm sure there were other adventures going on... :) I would enjoy seeing some original stories with new characters with even more dark plot twists... :)
They're probably saving stories like that for the "standalone" movies. After all, they can't all be movies about the backstories of established characters...I hope.

An EPISODE VII themed Disney intro made by yours sincerely:
1080p available

Quality really goes out the window when you upload stuff to youtube :thumbsdown
Disney.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The music you chose gives it a nice mood. :)

I still don't think you'll see Disney branding in front of this though. Like the Marvel films it'll still be a Lucasfilm intro, just no 20th Century Fox.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back