Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters

I love it too... I still remember when I saw that first episode when I was a kid. So excited for the new series. And then it crawled by in the credits. Just awesome.

I love TOS E, TMP-E, and TNG-E... Those are my faves, and will always be the Enterprises that epitomized Star Trek, overshadowing every other design.

After that, I'd put Probert's concept E next, and the Excelsior E (in my head without all the crap put on it in Generations)....

I'm pretty stoked about Discovery- because it seems to be getting back to the root of Star Trek design and aesthetics. I'm optimistic about it.

The first CG Galaxy-class model was created for DS9 for the Dominion War episodes. It was notable for having a curiously darker "cobra head" than the rest of the ship, above or below. But yeah -- well after TNG. I don't think there was even a CG Enterprise in Generations.

Also, that Probert painting several posts up isn't his original concept for the -D, that's his "what-if" of the Enterprise refit from TMP. He got called in to clean up what Matt Jeffries and Joe Jennings had already designed, so this was his "if I'd been allowed to do it from scratch" exercise from 1979. This was his first concept painting of the new Enterprise that he did six years later...

Early-Enterprise-D-by-Andrew-Probert1.jpg

--Jonah

astroboy said:
So there was never a cgi D?

It just looked so damn sterile

Not until they did the Blu-ray conversion.

I'm not aware of a CG D in the Blu-ray, that has the original model photography composited into new backgrounds.

The first CG Galaxy-class model was created for DS9 for the Dominion War episodes. It was notable for having a curiously darker "cobra head" than the rest of the ship, above or below. But yeah -- well after TNG. I don't think there was even a CG Enterprise in Generations.

There was one CG shot done as a test, seen about half way into the movie.

_snapshot_00.57.42_2016.08.22_16.07.40_zpsxuumjvwl.jpg

I'm not aware of a CG D in the Blu-ray, that has the original model photography composited into new backgrounds.

It was mostly cleaning up the original filmed elements and recompositing them digitally to achieve a cleaner look, better contrast, more detail, and truer color balance. CG was used, though for a few shots where an original filmed element was missing. I know it was more than one, but the only one that gets specifically mentioned in behind-the-scenes stuff is an aft-view shot of the six-foot model for "Booby Trap" that was unavailable, so they used the CG model for that shot. But it was definitely sparing, and only when the physical element was no longer available.

There was one CG shot done as a test, seen about half way into the movie.

Ah, yes. That. I had forgotten. Or rather, I had managed to scrub it from my memory.

--Jonah

It was mostly cleaning up the original filmed elements and recompositing them digitally to achieve a cleaner look, better contrast, more detail, and truer color balance. CG was used, though for a few shots where an original filmed element was missing. I know it was more than one, but the only one that gets specifically mentioned in behind-the-scenes stuff is an aft-view shot of the six-foot model for "Booby Trap" that was unavailable, so they used the CG model for that shot. But it was definitely sparing, and only when the physical element was no longer available.

Ah, yes. That. I had forgotten. Or rather, I had managed to scrub it from my memory.

--Jonah

Give this man a carrot ;)

Also the CG Enterprise D, was made by the very talented Tobias Richter

Actually the latest clip from Fuller was that Discovery could take place in either timeline.

I'm still baffled at their delivery method. CBS expects you to fork over $5.99 (with ads) or $9.99 (no ads) per month for their subscription service. It looks like ST: Discovery will be their only original content (at least to begin with)... you'll have access to CBS' library of already aired content. This might be great if you're into CBS' catalog (and/or Trek)... but, that seems a steep price to pay.

Outside of the US and Canada - ST:D will be available on Netflix. We all know what Netflix is.

Am I the only one concerned about the fact that we're going to get a new uniform design, esp. since it's only 10 years before Kirk? Wouldn't that make the period that the uniforms seen in the original pilot rather short? Of course, that's predicated on what exactly they mean by 10 years before Kirk, 10 years before he was born, 10 years before he joins Starfleet, or 10 years before he gets the Enterprise?

Last edited:
Yeahh... *sigh* I keep wanting to be optimistic about this, but... *sigh* If its placement in the Prime timeline a decade before TOS is accurate, they need to use (newer, cleaner, better made) the uniforms from "The Cage"/"WNMHGB", they need to not reference Enterprise (one way or the other), they need to make the ship appropriate to the period (something Enterprise failed at)... And I just don't know that they give enough of a damn to realize any of this and do it. I recognize that they want to make their own mark -- but the way to do that isn't to shake the Etch-A-Sketch and overwrite what has already been established in favor of some pet design or idea they've got that just doesn't fit.

--Jonah

The only way that the new uniforms could work is if 10 years before Kirk means 10 years before he's born, anything less and Starfleet would be using the uniforms seen in the 2 pilots. Kirk was born in 2233, "The Cage" takes place in 2254 or 22 years after he was born and Kirk has just graduated from the Academy, he then assumes command of the Enterprise 10 years later in 2264, this means that during the years between "The Cage" and his assuming command of the Enterprise we've already seen the uniforms they had before the ones we know best from TOS. This means that the new series would have to take place around 2223 or 10 years before he was born otherwise they'll run into continuity issues with the uniforms since 10 years before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise is the period between "The Cage" and "Where no Man has gone Before" and the old style of uniform.

If they choose to ignore continuity and go with having Discovery taking place between 2254 and 2264 the only possible explanation for the uniform changes would be that they phased out the old "Cage" style uniform shortly after that incident having been in service for some years, switched to the new one only to switch back 10 years later before adopting yet another uniform just 1 year later. But that would make no sense, even with replicator technology, why would you change uniform designs 3 times within a 10 year span, going from old to new, back to the old, to a new one again?

Something I hadn't thought of yet: I seriously hope this ship isn't going to be stupidly huge.
One of the things I love about enterprise is that the ship is such a reasonable size. Of all the different ships we've had, you can actually picture that ship and the interior as one

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It unfortunately sounds like they're just going to ignore established canon and lumber around like a bull in a China shop. I wish they would get someone who cares enough to color between the lines and not scribble on the margins, the table, the floor, and quite possibly the ceiling.

Yeahh... *sigh* I keep wanting to be optimistic about this, but... *sigh* If its placement in the Prime timeline a decade before TOS is accurate, they need to use (newer, cleaner, better made) the uniforms from "The Cage"/"WNMHGB", they need to not reference Enterprise (one way or the other), they need to make the ship appropriate to the period (something Enterprise failed at)... And I just don't know that they give enough of a damn to realize any of this and do it. I recognize that they want to make their own mark -- but the way to do that isn't to shake the Etch-A-Sketch and overwrite what has already been established in favor of some pet design or idea they've got that just doesn't fit.

--Jonah

that's the case for any reboot these days.

don't t ake the extra care to get details right. just throw ideas a t a dart board and do whatever is cool.

the thing that has me wondering is their choice of writers. The only one that got me interested was the former TNT VOY writer. I can't remember their episodes, but at least ONE person from the old guard is good.

A Star Trek Novel writer? where any of those good?

Pushing up dasies writers? looking up on wiki, a show that barely lasted two seasons?

Perhaps the biggest insult. this CBS ALL access, that you have to PAY for, HAS COMMERCIALS? 12 MINUTES WORTH? probably unskippable ones too..

I know we complain an awful lot these days.. but that's only because so many people just don't do things right that you just kind of half to to vent....

I'm not feeling optimistic yet.

...Perhaps the biggest insult. this CBS ALL access, that you have to PAY for, HAS COMMERCIALS? 12 MINUTES WORTH? probably unskippable ones too...
To me, this says CBS doesn't have much confidence in whatever All Access is (or will be), so they're offsetting the lack of paying viewers with advertising dollars. I'm hoping All Access will be a complete failure and that they'll end up airing STD on either CBS or Netflix.

To hell with commercial breaks, it was mainly because of them I stopped watching live TV over five years ago.

Actually the latest clip from Fuller was that Discovery could take place in either timeline.

I'm still baffled at their delivery method. CBS expects you to fork over $5.99 (with ads) or $9.99 (no ads) per month for their subscription service. It looks like ST: Discovery will be their only original content (at least to begin with)... you'll have access to CBS' library of already aired content. This might be great if you're into CBS' catalog (and/or Trek)... but, that seems a steep price to pay.

Outside of the US and Canada - ST:D will be available on Netflix. We all know what Netflix is.

Epic awesomeness for people with no internet connection?? :unsure

It unfortunately sounds like they're just going to ignore established canon and lumber around like a bull in a China shop. I wish they would get someone who cares enough to color between the lines and not scribble on the margins, the table, the floor, and quite possibly the ceiling.

As seen on Mythbusters, that would not be an appropriate analogy :lol

Just my 2 cents for the uniforms... I see no issue with them being different than TOS pilot. There were a few scenes that showed other Starfleet officers wearing different styled uniforms. There were also a few during TOS proper that had some other ship crew wearing older and alternate style uniforms.

So what I'm suggesting is that earlier in Starfleet history, there were a wider variance of uniforms... We can say even as far back as Enterprise, if we look at the variant uniform styles of the Franklin crew.

It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. One thing we see in Star Trek is they are positively fashion forward. I mean really? The same uniform for more than 3 years?! That's just fashion death!

I might be late to the game on this but I'm very curious about the set design. TOS had such an iconic simplistic approach (due to budget) that I loved - very similar to Star Wars. There was no rhyme, reason or even a label associated to the greeblies - only when necessary. The issue I took with TNG, DS9, Voyager, etc etc was that all the set designs and instrument panels looked the same regardless of species. It was very frustrating to me visually. I hope they go back to TOS look and feel.

Just my two cents. Might be worth half that... ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back