Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
One of the things I love about enterprise is that the ship is such a reasonable size. Of all the different ships we've had, you can actually picture that ship and the interior as one

Considering the Enterprise from Enterprise is almost the same size as the original one from TOS (minus secondary hull, of course)... I never had any problem correlating the interior and exterior of that ship -- or the refit -- despite several instances of production folks making stupid mistakes. I also never had a problem lining up the interiors with the exterior of the one from TNG. Or Voyager. The Defiant's more of a headache for me due to them changing their minds midstream as to how big it is. But in general I've never had a problem with that in Trek.

the thing that has me wondering is their choice of writers. The only one that got me interested was the former TNT VOY writer. I can't remember their episodes, but at least ONE person from the old guard is good.

A Star Trek Novel writer? where any of those good?

Names? I can't be arsed to go looking right now. But yes, quite a few of the novels are good, and some are amazing. I would particularly recommend the DS9 and Voyager "Relaunch" series that pick up after the shows end (but only if you're familiar with and like said era/shows). I don't have all the Trek novels, by any stretch, but I do have a lot.

The only way that the new uniforms could work is if 10 years before Kirk means 10 years before he's born, anything less and Starfleet would be using the uniforms seen in the 2 pilots. Kirk was born in 2233, "The Cage" takes place in 2254 or 22 years after he was born and Kirk has just graduated from the Academy, he then assumes command of the Enterprise 10 years later in 2264, this means that during the years between "The Cage" and his assuming command of the Enterprise we've already seen the uniforms they had before the ones we know best from TOS. This means that the new series would have to take place around 2223 or 10 years before he was born otherwise they'll run into continuity issues with the uniforms since 10 years before Kirk takes command of the Enterprise is the period between "The Cage" and "Where no Man has gone Before" and the old style of uniform.

If they choose to ignore continuity and go with having Discovery taking place between 2254 and 2264 the only possible explanation for the uniform changes would be that they phased out the old "Cage" style uniform shortly after that incident having been in service for some years, switched to the new one only to switch back 10 years later before adopting yet another uniform just 1 year later. But that would make no sense, even with replicator technology, why would you change uniform designs 3 times within a 10 year span, going from old to new, back to the old, to a new one again?

The dates are a little off, but I've already gone on about that at length upthread. ;) In general, that's pretty much my point.

Just my 2 cents for the uniforms... I see no issue with them being different than TOS pilot. There were a few scenes that showed other Starfleet officers wearing different styled uniforms. There were also a few during TOS proper that had some other ship crew wearing older and alternate style uniforms.

So what I'm suggesting is that earlier in Starfleet history, there were a wider variance of uniforms... We can say even as far back as Enterprise, if we look at the variant uniform styles of the Franklin crew.

It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. One thing we see in Star Trek is they are positively fashion forward. I mean really? The same uniform for more than 3 years?! That's just fashion death!

We saw the crew of the Antares wearing the previous style of uniform, and just presumed they were only now on their way back in, and would get the new uniforms then. It had only been a couple months since Kirk and Co. were still wearing them. No one knows how long phasing in new uniforms in Starfleet takes. As for these "different uniforms"... Are you perhaps just thinking of the different uniform classes seen in TOS -- dress, duty, fatigues? Cuz in the series we only ever saw the two -- the one that was in use from at least 2254 to 2268, then the one that replaced it directly in that same year.

--Jonah

A show that was smarter than most of it's audience, and one of the best shows of recent memory.
That show was BRILLIANT.

I never heard of it before :/

I would have said before this that this wouldn't be a good bode for how longthis show would last if it was on a network, but if it was a SMART show.....that would explain the short season.

what was it about?

We saw the crew of the Antares wearing the previous style of uniform, and just presumed they were only now on their way back in, and would get the new uniforms then. It had only been a couple months since Kirk and Co. were still wearing them. No one knows how long phasing in new uniforms in Starfleet takes. As for these "different uniforms"... Are you perhaps just thinking of the different uniform classes seen in TOS -- dress, duty, fatigues? Cuz in the series we only ever saw the two -- the one that was in use from at least 2254 to 2268, then the one that replaced it directly in that same year.

--Jonah

No, I'm not thinking of the dress, duty, variants. LOL-I've been watching Star Trek since the 70's.

Yes, the Antares crew. Poor guys. Also Finnegan in what could presumably be an academy uniform. In the Cage, there was a scene with other officers where a couple different uniform variants. And I'm sure the uniforms involving Finnegan and the Cage officers were correct since they were pulled directly from Pike and Kirk's respective minds. Kirk had his wrap, and for all we know, may have been a uniform variant completely unique to his ship.

Those alone suggest enough in variances, and or transition in uniforms, or all of the above, that having the Discovery Crew wear a variation of the known uniforms to be completely acceptable.

I have no issues with this. Contemporary Armed forces and their respective branches have so many variances now. Changes occur regular enough.

It's no biggy for Discovery to have something unique. Hopefully nothing too crazy different though.

I never heard of it before :/

I would have said before this that this wouldn't be a good bode for how longthis show would last if it was on a network, but if it was a SMART show.....that would explain the short season.

what was it about?

Having the Pushing Daisies writers on board is just about the only thing that interests me about this new Trek.
It's pretty much a guarantee that the show will be smart, and the relationships interesting.

Here, watch the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEayMH7X3sc

old man les needs to just retire somewhere with that man stealing wife of his and ride off into the sunset.

how many shows are they goingto have on there that they don't already repeat constantly somewhere?

or arn't on netflix or amazon prime?

this thing needs to die before it's launched.

Having the Pushing Daisies writers on board is just about the only thing that interests me about this new Trek.
It's pretty much a guarantee that the show will be smart, and the relationships interesting.

Here, watch the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEayMH7X3sc

huh.

dead like me was the one with the lady turned grim reaper?

I saw first four eps of that show and it's pretty fun.

I don't know if i want to start one that only lasted 2 seasons and then want more again ;o)

LOL Chi McBride.

I like that guy. but his shows don't seem to last long. i think the longest run he had was his first show, that teacher thing on fox... boston public?

old man les needs to just retire somewhere with that man stealing wife of his and ride off into the sunset.

how many shows are they goingto have on there that they don't already repeat constantly somewhere?

or arn't on netflix or amazon prime?

this thing needs to die before it's launched.

I think next year when trek hit's the number will be 1. I'm with you, WTH wants to pay for stuff that's rerun ad nasuem by every network out there?

As for pushing dasies - LOVED IT!

I fell for Anna though :)

it was smart, but different - therefore it's like sci-fi on fox, not going to last long. Reading this, makes me hope it's no neftlix so i can rewatch :)

Except that's the entire benefit of a reboot, you can use or ignore canon at will. Ignoring previously established canon is only a problem when you're doing a sequel or prequel but not a reboot.

Not a problem at all, if you do science fiction. Just make a travel back in time and change everything. Look at new JJ Trek: I know, new actors play old characters, but actually it's not a reboot. It's a sequel ... At least from old Spock's point of view. ;)

Not a problem at all, if you do science fiction. Just make a travel back in time and change everything. Look at new JJ Trek: I know, new actors play old characters, but actually it's not a reboot. It's a sequel ... At least from old Spock's point of view. ;)
That's...
Actually that's a pretty good point. Nimoy does kind of make it a sequel.

Hey!

One note about the uniform issue. In pre TOS era each star ship had their own insignia, as seen in TOS: Doomesday. And In they Vanguard Novel Series it is claimed, that the Crew of Vanguard gets new Uniforms delivered by Enterprise in the first episode. That said, I would conclude that either all of Starfleet hat the Cage style uniform, which could lead to continuity errors, or each crew had their distinct style.

However we have seen that the Enterprise shield was used in the trailer, and as said, this was not the symbol of starfleet of the time. So to quote futurama ... " Screw history!"

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

That's one of those real-world/in-universe conflicts. Gene wanted each ship to have its own insignia, but in practice that only happened three times. The Anttares guys in "Charlie X", Commodore Decker in "The Doomsday Machine", and the two members of the Exeter crew we saw in "The Omega Glory". Everyone else either had the HQ insignia or the Enterprise delta. This is most notable in "Court Martial". Kirk runs into a bunch of friends at Starbase 11 he hasn't seen in years, all of whom are wearing the purported Enterprise insignia.

My best reconciliation is that the various insignia are for the various fleets within Starfleet. There are at least ten by DS9. The familiar logo is for the First Fleet, but eventually gets adopted as that of the entire Starfleet, replacing the old Starfleet logo:

2202281085_c9ebff4be3.jpg

original_starship_enterprise_hull_pennant_by_admiral_reliant-d8a53qd.png

--Jonah

This thing is starting to sound like a train wreck waiting to happen but I'm hoping it isn't. If it's on the CBS pay service only they're not going to get many buyers, it's stupid to have new costume designs with only 10 years to go before Kirk, and Whoopie being back is a deal breaker for me as i can't stand her.

Yep. She never fit in at all, plopped in as some kind of wizard woman, never worked for me. I pray they do not use her.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back