Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

PRFields

Spin-off of Star Trek: Discovery filming in 2024, and releasing at some point in 2025 on Paramount+.

Looks like it will be set in the 32nd century, similar to the final couple seasons of Discovery. The only actors attached so far are Holly Hunter in a lead role, and likely Mary Wiseman as Sylvia Tilly, as this has been set up for a while.

From the Hollywood Reporter article:

Hunter’s character will serve as the captain and chancellor of the Academy, presiding over both the faculty and a new class of Starfleet cadets as they learn to navigate the galaxy in the 32nd century.

“Starfleet Academy” will begin shooting in Toronto later this summer, featuring the largest contiguous set ever constructed for a “Star Trek” series, a central academic atrium that will span two stories and include an amphitheater, classrooms, a mess hall, and a idyllic walkway lined with trees.

With its focus on higher education — from the throes of budding romance to the pressures of academic achievement to the angst of painful self-discovery — “Starfleet Academy” is part of a wider strategy to expand what a “Star Trek” show can look like.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 3.42.52 PM.png

Didn't Gene Roddenberry state that it was a bad idea to do a Starfleet Academy TV series when someone asked him about it back when he was still alive? I'm asking because I remember reading an interview where he says that, but I can't be sure if I'm misremembering something.

Soap Trek: Academy

I suspect there will be a character that idolizes the role of Starfleet. A character who is all broody and edgy, forced into the academy because of their parent's. A character who is there, ordered by the courts because of some crime committed. Someone who is a complete Alpha douche.

There will be crying. Oh so much crying.

Back stories. LOTS of back stories.

I could be wrong. Maybe it'll be a good idea.

It's certainly a way for them to build the culture of the 32nd century. Something that will hopefully not look and sound like contemporary early 21st century Earth. New aliens and technologies. Pretty much all the things really lacking since Discovery flipped to the 32nd century.

Of course this only works if they actually have a world building concept firmly established, and a design team that can actually carry out that vision rather than just use the same generic sci-fi sets they already have.

Didn't Gene Roddenberry state that it was a bad idea to do a Starfleet Academy TV series when someone asked him about it back when he was still alive? I'm asking because I remember reading an interview where he says that, but I can't be sure if I'm misremembering something.
Probably. It started as a Harve Bennett idea.

I believe this is one of the “wise sages” they have selected to teach these students?

IMG_4503.jpeg

I am sure the curriculum is Pass / Fail.

Last edited:
I know that it seems that the Star Trek fan base is “aging out”, to studio executives, but Star Trek appealed to me at age 5…I didn’t need a “YA version of Trek” for it to catch my interest.

They really have no idea what appeals to audiences, to begin with, thus the reason why the fan base is no longer growing and is “aging out”. What they are offering is not appealing and it isn’t Star Trek.

what are they thinking? Why is Tilly on this show? Is there anyone who likes Tilly and want to see more of her? Her character is one of the main reasons people hate DSC. She‘s the prototype of absolute incompetence and mass Face palms.

I bet it is‘t even Starfleet Academy it‘ll be the Michael Burnham Academy for crying and getting promoted for being an absolute mess in person.

what are they thinking? Why is Tilly on this show? Is there anyone who likes Tilly and want to see more of her? Her character is one of the main reasons people hate DSC. She‘s the prototype of absolute incompetence and mass Face palms.

I bet it is‘t even Starfleet Academy it‘ll be the Michael Burnham Academy for crying and getting promoted for being an absolute mess in person.

Taking the place of the wise groundskeeper, Boothby, Tilly will be the wise lunch lady of the Academy Chow Hall…dispensing inspiring, life-changing advice and sloppy-joe’s in equal measure…

IMG_4547.jpeg

Last edited:

Her character is completely unbelievable. Her big "growth" in the series is confidence? I have absolutely no clue what her role is supposed to be in Discovery. Especially in this final slog of season. She's horribly disrespectful to anyone she FEELS slighted by. Her big contribution in the last ep as Rayner's chosen exec was to berate him for pacing and not sitting in the "chair". And this seasoned former Captain, now apparently a dog being retrained, pretty much thanks her.

Now she's what? Going to be delivering her quirky sage experience to students about how they have to connect with each other?

This upcoming series will be the same as Discovery. There'll be 10 "professional critics" that give it 100% rating. And 1000's of viewer critics giving it 30%. And it'll be deemed a success somehow.

I'm curious how they'll implement the 'Mentorship Program" Tilly mentioned in the Discovery series finale. Seems like that's a way to bring back characters from Discovery at random times. Probably some of the new bridge crew members that got an oddly large amount of lines in the last half of the Discovery season.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back