Star Trek: Starfleet Academy

He must be this kind of villain...

1718126482308.png

I really don't understand why Star Trek always has to have a villain nowadays. Some of the best episodes of Trek had no villain at all, but problems to solve.

1718130570425.png 1718130592009.png 1718130665270.png 1718130756316.png 1718130808687.png 1718130908812.png 1718130944672.png 1718130996685.png 1718131063704.png

In the interviews, creators are always saying stuff like, "Yeah, we're working to make sure we have a great villain this time," as if it's necessary. Star Trek is not superhero comics.

I really don't understand why Star Trek always has to have a villain nowadays. Some of the best episodes of Trek had no villain at all, but problems to solve.

View attachment 1829507 View attachment 1829508 View attachment 1829510 View attachment 1829513 View attachment 1829514 View attachment 1829518 View attachment 1829519 View attachment 1829523 View attachment 1829524

In the interviews, creators are always saying stuff like, "Yeah, we're working to make sure we have a great villain this time," as if it's necessary. Star Trek is not superhero comics.
Because of the writers, who clearly just paid attention to how to write in the format more than how to actually write a story when taking writing classes. XD

Because of the writers, who clearly just paid attention to how to write in the format more than how to actually write a story when taking writing classes. XD

I think some of the blame also falls on Nick Meyer, who gave us Wrath of Khan, which convinced studios that this is how you make money...forget the exploration crap, we need vendetta!

Wrath of Khan is an amazing, wonderful film. But it ain't Roddenberry's vision for Trek.

I think Khan is why we got Kruge, Sybok, Chang, Soran, Borg Queen, Ru'afo, Nero, Marcus & Khan 2, and Krall...with only the brief Roddenberryesque respite of The Voyage Home.

Forgive my whining, and thank god for TNG. :)

Last edited:
I think some of the blame also falls on Nick Meyer, who gave us Wrath of Khan, which convinced studios that this is how you make money...forget the exploration crap, we need vendetta!

Wrath of Khan is an amazing, wonderful film. But it ain't Roddenberry's vision for Trek.

I think Khan is why we got Kruge, Sybok, Chang, Soran, Borg Queen, Ru'afo, Nero, Marcus & Khan 2, and Krall...with only the brief Roddenberryesque respite of The Voyage Home.

Forgive my whining, and thank god for TNG. :)

Ronald D. Moore explains it here, how movie execs kept demanding "we need a Khan":
During an interview in the 2021 docuseries "The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek," longtime Star Trek screenwriter Ronald D. Moore spoke about how the success of "The Wrath of Khan" hampered the creativity of subsequent movies in the franchise. "I could easily make the argument that what 'Wrath of Khan' did was it permanently sent every Star Trek film down the same path," he said. "They all then, with the exception of 'IV,' went, 'We need a villain like Khan.' I can't tell you how many times I heard that. 'We need a Khan. Who's the Khan in this movie?' It all became about emulating that story."

Read More: The Wrath Of Khan Changed Star Trek Movies For The Worse In One Major Way - Looper

Moore also goes into detail of why Star Trek isn't necessarily a good fit for the movie format, even though they have made some good Trek films:
...Trek is, in some ways, an uncomfortable fit to the big screen I’ve kind of come to feel, even though I did two of them. I thought First Contact was a really good film, Generations not so much. And Wrath of Khan is an outstanding film. The Voyage Home works really well, and so on. It’s not that they’re not good movies, but it feels like the movies have to be spectacle. The movies have to be gigantic, action-adventure, lots of shooting, lots of things at stake – except for Voyage Home. And that’s not really Star Trek to me.

To me, Trek is a morality play. It’s a show about ethical dilemmas. It’s a science fiction show about “What if?” And it’s a character piece. The best parts of Trek don’t necessarily lend themselves towards the big screen. For instance, you couldn’t do “Data’s Day” as a movie, right? It was one of my favorite episodes. “The Conscience of the King” from The Original Series is one of my favorite episodes. That’s not a movie. So, the movie version always has to be hyped up and overdamped and they’re big giant roller coasters. And I don’t know that the roller coaster aspect is what attracts me to Star Trek the most.

So, if they asked me what to do with the movies, I don’t know. I’d want to reboot and start over and do something very different. And try a different flavor of Star Trek for the big screen. And not just make ‘Who’s going to be the “Khan” in this version? What’s the big, giant weapon that’s going to threaten the universe? Or anything like that. I think you’d have to find some sci-fi angle that made it more about: What are the roots of Trek? Why did people come to fall in love with it in the first place? And that’s a tall order.

Full interview:

Ronald D. Moore explains it here, how movie execs kept demanding "we need a Khan":

Moore also goes into detail of why Star Trek isn't necessarily a good fit for the movie format, even though they have made some good Trek films:

The biggest mistake Paramount made with the franchise is passing on Ron Moore to lead the franchise and handing the keys to the kitchen over to Bad Robot.

Not having a villain might work for Trek on TV but for a movie a villain, or at least some sort of antagonist is needed, in my opinion. A 2-hour movie exploring humanity doesn't really work, and you end up with something like TMP. But for TV I'd agree that a villain isn't really needed, at least not a regular villain, a recurring villain like in TNG and TOS could work.

Not having a villain might work for Trek on TV but for a movie a villain, or at least some sort of antagonist is needed, in my opinion. A 2-hour movie exploring humanity doesn't really work, and you end up with something like TMP. But for TV I'd agree that a villain isn't really needed, at least not a regular villain, a recurring villain like in TNG and TOS could work.

The villains of Modern Trek are the Standards of Quality and Good Taste…

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back