SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion - COMPLETED!!!

Re: SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion

Oh one more thing I should point out, I have not done any of the side panels, the cockpit nose, radar dish, or the docking hatches yet. I am planning to do those next, just haven't gotten to them yet.

For red and yellow I am planning to use Tamiya XF3 and XF7. I plan to mix them with some amount of XF19. Following what Kris Taylor did in his DeAgo build since I felt his colors were pretty spot on.

For the bluish panels I am probably going to mask off the panels when I paint the insignia white so that the gray surface primer shows through and just use that. Then do a light coat of something over some of them to give em some variance. Not 100% sure yet.

For the light gray I am not sure yet. Still need to figure out what colors I am using for all of the grays really. Suggestions are welcome!

Awesome guide. What paints are you using for the red, yellow, light gray, and bluish panels?

OK hello again gang!! Hope I didn't lose ya all with it being so long since I posted an update but I've been busy building a wall...literally! In my backyard. And DAMN is that a lot of work!

Anyway, I have made progress since my last update so I wanted to post a bunch. This post is gonna get a little long with the pictures but it will get us up to speed on where I am at quick!

So first off, I have been doing a lot of cleanup work to get this bad boy ready to be painted. I got all of the parts cleaned up and ready for primer. Here is the collection of parts.
XI68J4MtDmAT5LZcrceKC501PAJx47JpZsLsY=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then I got all of the lights figured out. I had to adjust how I modeled it to make it work better a while back so I got them all printed and actually already painted these. The outside is black, and I painted the inside with a chrome paint so that it will help reflect light around in there which gives it a bit more of a broad light rather than a point where the LED is.
hLJo1Ng5mVEUMIUZ0SjeXP9fMbrF238ODU1dE=w840-h473-no.jpg

r-YDoSu97EyEMc9ABicvN4zvf3ig0GSD191Ug=w840-h473-no.jpg

FsltWHMHPK9-Wv1mJz3rIO2WSeBwhFLXy4oqs=w840-h473-no.jpg

This shows how it will shine light on the ground below it.
wNCueDapClUWh8KUQ9-QZs0EHRf9euQ5w5Qyk=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here are all of the light fixtures painted and ready to go in!
kUn1Fgwjao4F1uz0TlsprkmveC9OCiYvwqIBQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

Gonna leave that post there and do another one for the next update!! Stay Tuned!!

Last edited:

The next step was to assemble all of the parts that I 3d printed! Here is a pic of those assembled and taped and ready to be primed.
2711dDlhmMVckpLuxdjdSYoxQVSD8t-ViBdME=w840-h473-no.jpg

This is the engine assembly I printed all assembled and ready to be painted also.
LNomzL41JFWexOUi3aEMC7NirtkMtEnFRRQmM=w840-h473-no.jpg

p1On3y4BcwJ3JJZhHnJWdQ_1kpVj6e-TgiUMU=w840-h473-no.jpg

After that I started to glue on the panels that I made and cut out of plastic for sale signs. These were a challenge to glue on and not mess up. The glue I use dries VERY FAST!! So if I stick one down and don't get it into place almost instantly it can get stuck down in the wrong place and that is bad. It happened once but I was able to fix it. Luckily...it did not happen again!!
Here's the FIRST one I glued on!!
DDqN3l8NlrUFKf-nJ2uGeZiuRqzCzP74ga0Q8=w840-h473-no.jpg

I did the bottom first, figured it would be seen less so I could learn on it and then the top last.
2UgLXiveabw0gVHPQJ53X78MeR3Wl-ZIVTK4w=w840-h473-no.jpg

After adding all of the missing panels came time to do all of the little blisters...there were ALOT of these! I need to count but I know it was in the hundreds.
fYflvbYJu7llq82Xl-zrkfN2rl9yBhYTpS3NE=w840-h473-no.jpg

dpNTHcsTkqxPLVsBxCmR1spLy6k-H7MRIhldQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

More pictures of the top panels.
qVNNHCEgUojZPlld2dzbBrW441Fr6jnIH6Uo=w840-h1494-no.jpg

0ai2prqm3Znv4hDWTnDemq74uwzX7oyrUFkA0=w840-h473-no.jpg

Qp7SqlwZUclhFgL9TbLnrS_nJWK29hbGk9G00=w840-h473-no.jpg

More to come!!

Last edited:

Next up was battle damage!! First I used a pencil to draw all over the model using reference so I knew exactly where I wanted to cut and what shapes I wanted.

I grabbed a few of the pieces I cut off this baby and practiced on them. Each of these damages required a different combination of techniques.

This one was a combination of a dremel, exacto knife, and a old scraper I have from when I was in art school. You will also notice the burn marks on there. When this plastic is cut it tends to leave a bunch of little bits and stringy things that are a pain to get off. Applying a little fire to those can melt them down and it ends up looking kinda scortched which is what we want anyway since these are blasts from laser bolts right!!
tHhcqHo-XN23Nfi3lv-axno2fR79Q9ntGlw4Q=w840-h473-no.jpg

y1N9DhSrh0tvXSKh0MpZb37vAXcTqA3b4hB8c=w840-h473-no.jpg

These were basically all dremel with a little of the exacto knife to clean it up.
YIvQLOtUyWc8n44D5DIZiLrXtvnzH7j2KkIqo=w840-h473-no.jpg

rZz03_08Nxgjm5UYGK6UaVp71tlzQRJGOmpRg=w840-h473-no.jpg

D2H3AuDjUgLv_ObhHRVLX7xRbYRb-u70JXbiQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

MIRxdbfupAeQWGwvpMtynKogYj_3sFcKOzN8I=w840-h473-no.jpg

TjzecJhycR_RsCccmvGCtf3SdPlmos2tC9O3A=w840-h473-no.jpg

This one was fun! I used a soft tip on my dremel that was kinda the size and shape of these holes. I used that slowly with light pressure so that it generated a lot of friction. This slightly melted the plastic and allowed me to push it in a bit. That gave the initial shape. I then used the dremel with a sharp tip to cut away where I wanted it to look sharper and more damaged. Then at the end I shaved the tips of a few matches off and crushed them into a powder. I sprinkled this powder into the holes and ignited them. This caused it to burn the holes again giving it that nice scorched look.

Once that was done I used an exacto blade to cut out the final holes in the shapes I wanted and scratch it up a bit more around them. I think it turned out pretty good!! I like the looks of the scorch marks so much I may actually do that same trick again at the very end during the weathering phase of painting to get that burned look on it and then dulcote over it. We will see how it works on a painted surface. Gonna test that one out first.
Tq_B52sRKCSRFpk9X3ZFiJjRqbvBtZkL1H_B4=w840-h473-no.jpg

I used a similar treatment on the cockpit tube damage as well as just using an exacto to cut out that loose panel that you see here.
O6G4iVnzVCEFBn5qFU3C-Mzq5xFtEAyTq_bCE=w840-h473-no.jpg

Last edited:

Excellent guide, thanks for taking the time. Really helps rookies like me...:$.

Sorry if you mentioned this and I missed it, but would you mind sharing what glue you are using for the panels you made? I have side-lined my Falcon for the time being. I've been building/painting other models to build up my skills before working on my Falcon.

Also, would you see any problem with painting the panels before gluing them to ship? I plan on using your idea and cutting these panels and thought that it would be much easier to paint them first rather than trying to mask them.

Thanks

I did post the glue I used and here it is again!
wzBt003lf6kbUhkuzXd0XGw1O0E47H7o4ffAQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

Personally I wouldn't paint them first. I think it would actually be harder than masking later but more importantly I think it would make them look different because of how sharp the lines would end up being. But that's a matter of preference. Also, several of these panels are filling in gaps in whole panels so masking them before wouldn't actually result in the same look.
Excellent guide, thanks for taking the time. Really helps rookies like me...:$.

Sorry if you mentioned this and I missed it, but would you mind sharing what glue you are using for the panels you made? I have side-lined my Falcon for the time being. I've been building/painting other models to build up my skills before working on my Falcon.

Also, would you see any problem with painting the panels before gluing them to ship? I plan on using your idea and cutting these panels and thought that it would be much easier to paint them first rather than trying to mask them.

Thanks

Last edited:

That is some of the best studio scale scarring I've seen. Nice work!

It makes me wish that the deagostini falcon came as a blank slate

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks man that means alot to hear that from someone because I have seen some fantastic work on these forums when it comes to that scarring!! And this polypropylene is hard has hell to work with!!

That is some of the best studio scale scarring I've seen. Nice work!

It makes me wish that the deagostini falcon came as a blank slate

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OK, so another update is here!!

The next stage has been a lot of back and forth for me. I basically spent several hours combing over the 50gb of reference I have on the Falcon at this point looking for everything that I wanted to fix to make this Hasbro Falcon more accurate. What I discovered is that endeavor is a rabbit hole!!! There are SOO many changes that it would take me a year to find and fix them all. So instead I decided to pick the ones that I thought were the most easily fixable and the most obvious bang for the buck.

So here is a broad summary of what I did.

First off there were several spots where there were just blatantly missing parts. So I looked them up and modeled them and 3d printed the parts I needed and here is the result.
LHoxWYe6G_ItA8QZD9NKxbfI00wTdHvuk070E=w840-h473-no.jpg

I didn't take pictures of where they all go but here are a few shots of some of them.
cWKBwBU_1XLxX4UL1inMWgJLavMfUWOssUPM=w840-h1494-no.jpg

nXniIwD4_z8ldW-uegupt2Oruw82LeyVQYZo=w840-h1494-no.jpg

7K-qpuvPz39-75-B0vaMtW6Tz2DYQ3UU93Vg=w840-h1494-no.jpg

UaZStgkWlnrwbaS6yxNzxsJr6qg03xoxqkU5Y=w840-h473-no.jpg

W7jBGDInMGupmZb1yss78OVu7elkAYpFt9oY=w840-h1494-no.jpg

Then I noticed that these flaps on the underside by the rear landing gear were on the original model but missing on the current images of the 32" Studio model. I assume these broke off in storage of it and they have not added them back on. So I decided they should be there. These were actually cut out of extra 3d printed parts I had laying around. but they could just as easily been made from a styrene sheet.
RGkrU2uKptzJ_TsR5liiwo7dKsMU01HFORv3A=w840-h473-no.jpg

And this one...
Hp7NaRnXiEigg-moL5RGgn9pCLuAWnDMpiM58=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then I drilled out some holes where there were supposed to be holes...more than just these but I didn't take pics of them all.
oYIpXrqQO7k84aTrAfC79njGci_B_VG_Lyxn8=w840-h473-no.jpg

And I added a few paperclips to replace and fix some of the pipes that really needed to be better than the molded plastic ones they had on there. Again there were a lot of these to fix but I decided I didn't wanna take the time to do them all.
j2Jsw-mBo3nZJrlMS3-7-PgRygMn3y7BhjsBA=w840-h473-no.jpg

H4jPHt4YdLGm6pc29hQE7Mh5XhqexPsOE6dAc=w840-h473-no.jpg

Next I cut out the top gun turret glass so I could replace it with clear styrene painted black on the back side just like what I am doing with the cockpit.
n5vYl5MlImcO1AFhX9keMtCTK1Crv4kwS7c5k=w840-h473-no.jpg

D3DVNzJsXwpYTfNGLjpLGS_HUP6tMV5RUd010=w840-h473-no.jpg

And here are my glass parts templated and cut out. (BTW I have a rubbing of these templates if anyone is interested. I may post it later on here but don't have the time to clean them up right now.
w-eeHnetczANY8D5Qg2oxnW8JNGPXcEcuK-g=w840-h1494-no.jpg

I added some battle damage to the right docking port. You can't really see the depth of this in these pics but it looks really cool!
OZb0JijNGaQmq-dDog1YwH-2dWJUbp_aQQ3u4=w840-h473-no.jpg

BMRw0VGNIJvqFyBYchNF3dkxakTucm-3bBx7g=w840-h473-no.jpg

And added some tamiya putty to the back of all of the open damage so that they aren't completely see through holes. (I feel like i shoulda done more of a recessed solution for this because I had some nice hole shapes cut into this damage that I really liked and I might have lost it. I will know for sure when it's painted but it's not a big deal. Like I said before, this one is practice for the DeAgo model anyway. This learning is why I am doing it!!
cVz45jr3tG3J7JMIyR49kFyMsAV4U-1SbmzMg=w840-h473-no.jpg

JD-nk8pl5gJFEwVwP7hC_xi9os2_MHWIxW4OE=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then the last step in this stage was to glue it all on. Added the running light covers and engine vents.
usXzfg02M-1J_-J6jpbp7zqsZCb8n-6kT4e9Q=w840-h473-no.jpg

O8exRBZHkyEFhLSgADKHuAgZfrmXIg5YxSMmA=w840-h473-no.jpg

Njw1N6MimvS5C7ZZtBeOfOnETw5ommT1mEj-g=w840-h473-no.jpg

y7e-qeA1mrUvJr6NgzJeQ-57thVtvdFSbkN-U=w840-h473-no.jpg

AS1INCprrT5UVs4PvG0lUJ2VN-9TRQBViT9NY=w840-h473-no.jpg

_lxIQ3aLxshz1_BKLopjFyzzjvLxnBSqk0LZI=w840-h473-no.jpg

Basically at this point it's all ready to be painted!!! Thats is what I am doing now. I will add an update to this sometime soon. I have made some progress but still figuring a lot out.

Last edited:

Some really cool mods there SirCharles

Can't wait to see her lit

J

That's looking really nice cant wait to see the final piece! Thanks for putting though panel color/detal docs together!! gonna look through them and see if I missed anything!

The images on those links to Photobucket are saving as 647x1024 is the the highest rez, I can't really see the hatch marks in that image.

Thats weird...the images are 7800x4928 originally...not sure why they didnt upload like that. I will try to fix it at some point when I get a chance.

Sorry about that!

So I sent an email to Photobucket support and they changed their policy such that you can't access the full resolution images on your account unless you have a paid subscription...so that sucks!! Guess I won't be using them anymore for anything I want to store full size.

Here is a link to the full resolution images on Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7i0ao3mbpn60vy0/AAAvWRNkyNFM2P7nJkVS96oya?dl=0

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back