SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion - COMPLETED!!!

Re: SirCharles77's Hasbro Millennium Falcon Conversion

Ok, more updates coming today as I finally have a few hours to do this!

After my last post I was completely done modeling and making changes. So now it's time to start painting!! Oh god!

Priming is completely done at this point, here are some shots of her all primed up.
Twp2pShxxIcCees_cH4TkYSwH3GX7coF5P7Tc=w840-h473-no.jpg

U4jkqr1WQNRGkaXisEjWGkFHiwBcprx804KTA=w840-h473-no.jpg

_6d7zPCpcCHPy-0r4NGOxVxNl4D-9EdD8WvL4=w840-h473-no.jpg

After priming I realized that my 3d printed parts were no where near smooth enough to match the plastic of the model. but I think they will still look good once weathered.
seDKDDcuEIf-n_c4ibAUXwk11O3C7ORwml6p8=w840-h473-no.jpg

To7IaHmyhp_hgTYrbWTFZjoUPeUzzKBuOe8Xk=w840-h473-no.jpg

Smaller parts all taped up and read to go.
eposML2gG5K2OKcae94_mmHQjDKzrO8k9ufyU=w840-h473-no.jpg

ArJBPsaApEpHaRy065N-Jjnzp2RY_AJaYqGUU=w840-h473-no.jpg

In the paint booth and drying.
A5AOE8dfpK99aGpc-oGyraJa9HScX2FlE_ezw=w840-h473-no.jpg

SvVNEd1suOjorO6ZrDiE0hWsM1bvUmQOS6TmY=w840-h473-no.jpg

Priming of the body is done for the bottom half. I learned alot on this one. First attempt on a large surface piece and I was holding the paint can too far away and I didnt clean the paint booth before I started painting so I ended up with some rough areas and some dust. Had to spend some time cleaning it all off and then sand it and add another coat overtop. Looks much better now and the top half turned out great. So lesson learned there!!
QtZ0fPfi-rIjVtnJxokVQp89fjeiiVpPI_zCQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

You can see some of the rough and dusty areas here.
kZPUA9X1gdep069pEFO3MWWx9Opp5ipG9HrRA=w840-h473-no.jpg

And Here...
Yn2bGtp8rD8-MPJktpgE25Kb7S0Zeoi7sieG0=w840-h473-no.jpg

yK3GL4wrXoXM_DOmIoCqzkSeNVmhbLMgvJEQ=w840-h1494-no.jpg

Cockpit turned out great first pass.
IHSrp-SskjxboAtTfr32ERUwHdyXK-cC5jl24=w840-h473-no.jpg

Top worked out much better!!
1XXn3gMRMV6I9z4UVQx7tOJYyhnVevSciCpqo=w840-h473-no.jpg

b7Ux70o3tBio6EqdRCypApxDxmPeHhQjc2EOU=w840-h473-no.jpg

CACkHfiE9wNMbDDLL4vL5_45WdVTx4zcuk5eU=w840-h473-no.jpg

5FFRWxpSpYIKnCnNx_mLwtQ8CygivXxE-D6CI=w840-h473-no.jpg

v9qM8vRZ1-4tPjyWZC8qpf2LJuz560m62NuzM=w840-h473-no.jpg

Next step was to mask off the outsides so that I could paint the insides flat black to block out the light. This was kinda painful to mask all of this off but the results are worth it.
J0HSH0XoXz533lPldNmgEaX-g2OQ0q_q8EgkQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

6wKPyC8CoLYB7EEtcxtp1SjCieiwVEUENi7xo=w840-h473-no.jpg

8-L2_kb08BZ9vXvOsvDN4mz9Ns7Hs2Pcm1uKc=w840-h473-no.jpg

Black Falcon looks BAD ASS!!! Even inside out! Someday maybe I will do a flat black Falcon model just for fun!
YqV4_YqRmuMRlne1_CZSyzOiF2P-GdYz-cxBM=w840-h473-no.jpg

Yl7uWiGo0QcDwqCCE_-oI6dRVbFsvnrKaPQD0=w840-h473-no.jpg

OK, that was a lot of pictures! Like 24,000 words worth!! At this point my next step is to get the base coat of Insignia White on. That will be coming next. Hopefully this weekend.

She's coming together slowly but surely!

Last edited:

So I decided I needed a good test piece to practice on. So I took a page from Kris Taylors playbook and I used some for sale signs to make a quick test piece.
-8t5y-NZOJkbBprP9IUSU4Xbnuq-kuOHYMR3I=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then I had to get caught up to the rest of the Falcon so here it is primed.
-c4Tovwj0UENZ3nOp4FWkTPsasl_6MOy5Ef6I=w840-h473-no.jpg

And then I did some preshading with oils and nuln oil. This wasn't nearly dark enough as none of it shows through under the base coat.
mmW578yYB9vOHNgQZXftptvn9WQ62dEQaHvKc=w840-h473-no.jpg

And added a base coat of Tamiya Insignia White.
Q0zuxZtD3X2XHesWLx3xTQVn57_Bxtc8oz6oE=w840-h473-no.jpg

I needed a good way to store small amounts of mixed paint for painting panels so I went to Michaels and found these guys. Works pretty great so far.
e8UTpFSPlVRTEA9ED79n1YjLy5CtIHLsy7NXo=w840-h473-no.jpg

Masked off a few areas to paint panels on.
FqOgSnrlIFLLxXprHitIwzHBWFzzK83VnKY4A=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here are all of the panels painted. I had some issues with the tape running. In order to get smooth surfaces with a brush I thinned out my paints with thinner to make them into more of a wash. This is great because it makes a nice smooth surface. The negative is that the wash runs into an cracks in the tape. I bought some mask paint to try next time to prevent this.
MB5JDQnLTGv9bkHrpU_wux4F3wTU3h3PKDuHk=w840-h473-no.jpg

Did some initial weathering with sandpaper to rough up some areas. Turns out this is a bad idea to do this before the oil in my next step!!
JYji5bL78gIas4zNV3du3bbhBcJnx4cicydpI=w840-h473-no.jpg

In progress using the fast drying oils to start the weathering process.
f4W02_ZYRw4Svq98W4ft00c57IA48igrJCnBA=w840-h473-no.jpg

Looks pretty good except that you can see clearly where the sandpaper scratched areas I didnt want it to scuff up. The oil got into those grooves and wont come out. So next time I will wait until after this step to do scuffing.
I0hvP9Cbwu69HwR0Vf8V3oeBL8lRfA6jDEVcE=w840-h473-no.jpg

Last step was doing a clear coat over this to lock in the oils.
Y8Zp2maMO0pKeaGfwRZwnwauHny1EZ8--m9Ys=w840-h473-no.jpg

Still more to come soon but wanted to get this posted.

And now you are 100% caught up with me!! HAHA

Last edited:

First pass at weathering streaks on my test panel. I used black and burnt sienna oils to get oil and rust streaks with some turps to streak them down. Then for the water stains I just dropped a large amount of turps and with a fine brush I mixed some burnt sienna into it. Then held it vertically and let gravity do its work. I think it turned out pretty good!!
2uhOMbkIon8ihggpxtptflgkBT2MqA4iZU0kc=w840-h473-no.jpg

Next was a pass with a straight edged piece of plastic for sale sign and some shaved pastels on a brush Was able to get those streaks you see on the Falcon with this. Again thanks for the idea Kris Taylor!!
jiXX6PyWjBlITspXP_ks3qOio19MPUMgfnr68=w840-h473-no.jpg

Finally I used some more pastels in various different colors to make some of the rust and oil streaks pop. Also, where I let the water run on the top right corner you will notice some extra water stains. These magically appeared as I lightly brushed pastels over it. Works pretty awesome actually! Also added some dark with a marker to the blaster marks to make them stand out better, some splattering with Nato Black and heavily diluted Burnt Sienna and finally hash marks!!
vUGLpFkXCTYpyXT9Ab-_iiID72lfMfxa_Xtz0=w840-h473-no.jpg

Here are a few close ups! Please let me know what you think! I am looking for feedback on what I can do better before I apply this to my actual Falcon model. For some reason I feel like it's too much weathering but I am not sure. Might be too close to it.
pqYSlU3ipoS0yS_s60qkqVT5cLirqo_EyHnf8=w840-h473-no.jpg

ciWsPebxg_M87hCpplj6kMYACt9GrZkuMfoY0=w840-h473-no.jpg

qfiOeKF6C5xx7VQLzEzultJKn-HyPMO5vEfag=w840-h473-no.jpg

74ffClbp2LgUB1wsv2-2oV3vRPTMcRFKEViYQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

vsPqZ-1darYYjPT5Box7bMipPM0vRd2diKGjA=w840-h473-no.jpg

The main thing I am missing is some good paint chipping. I haven't done a test of that yet. Not sure I understand the hairspray method. Curious to try it. Anyone know of any really good tutorials on how to do it?

Last edited:

Great work as usual. I always liked this video (except the loud intro) because it quickly covers 4 different techniques. I would definitely go easy on the chipping as it's very easy to overdo it. Were you just planning on the paint chipping on the colored panels?

Hey SC77,

Love the work your doing so far!

Check out this vid of a fellow modeler named Lasse who is painting his scratch built studio scale model of the Tantive IV. Not only is it just an amazing vid to watch but it shows some great tips and techniques :) WARNING: You're going to want the vid to keep going and going and going...

Also, save that practice panel! I would frame it up and enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/51995786

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Yeah probably. The non-painted panels will have some wear and tear but not likely any chipping.

Thanks for the video link! I will check it out!

Great work as usual. I always liked this video (except the loud intro) because it quickly covers 4 different techniques. I would definitely go easy on the chipping as it's very easy to overdo it. Were you just planning on the paint chipping on the colored panels?

You've made me wonder about the wear on the 'unpainted' panels, Sir Chuck. If composed of a homogeneous material, then scratches and wear would not typically show any difference in color (unless exposure alone made for a color change...) However, if there is any type of surface treatement, then wear effects could be applied. I suppose it all depends on just how far you want to get into the 'analysis' of your weathering goals, imagining the surface materials, surface history & any misadventures in detail.

For example, I might say the Falcon's 'skin' is composed of many layers that provide protection in depth. The outer 'armor plates' are to stop high energy impacts both kinetic and otherwise - of the larger variety. These replaceable plates (hence all the hand-cutouts on the edges) overlay the micro-particles layer which absorbs any of tiny stuff that gets through the outer plate, including any through the gaps. Beneath the impact protection would be the radiation shielding then the structural skin that provides support for the outer layers & the pressure/ life support envelope, which would be a separate (& readily accessible from the interior) layer. In addition to these basic considerations, you might also say there was a specialized functional layer that serves as part of the hyperspace drive (field projectors, TS bubble shapers, etc.) and even an EMF generator (as a form of active radiation protection.)

Since only the two outer layers really 'show', weathering is confined to those surfaces. Instances of the abalative damage would abound as would dents and scrapes along with other physical deformations (just like the ripped effect you've demonstrated so well...) though 'dents' might not be like with metal if you assume the armor has a structure like ceramic - more like cracks & chunks chipped off the surface. And so it goes... fun 'imagineering' the hardware & modeling the damage it sustains.

R/ Robert

So more progress lately. Been taking ALOT of pictures but I wont bore you with them all. Just a few of em!

Did some tests to figure out preshading and discovered that just painting a few areas of black isn't going to do the trick. I did this all by hand and then realized it wasn't enough.
FNObVvx-x99A9MWt7lPLso-LFRIRGcgcgCmM8=w840-h473-no.jpg

So instead I got a few more cans of Matte Black and did this!! Black Falcon looks SOO COOL!!! Might have to make a midnight black Falcon model someday just for fun!!!
DeoRmG1_tocCiY2dBHd_xQhRGgWH_7uecmwm8=w840-h473-no.jpg

g4li5rnARhygCkj-X4bSAWQfsQQgPPZ0T5A04=w840-h473-no.jpg

VXiJsFW4nzCpndmeAidMGYWWMYlKg-4MFCaWc=w840-h473-no.jpg

dqPTB1LxAji7gIgSSSv0e8M0ldAIuvZ86sPWQ=w840-h473-no.jpg

I painted up all of my parts in black and the top in prep for spraying with the base coat.
4bl_PnPm0J3fkSq7zTgGyYW9-Jof1O6uOQBFY=w840-h473-no.jpg

PzDYFE0B1Q0FFDroXMLp6Sb89Cl8NoZ0TlfEY=w840-h473-no.jpg

HbrvMtHpaR2mfphFp_GVAJvhRUzf9V-JoOb4E=w840-h473-no.jpg

And here is that base coat in Tamiya Insignia White!! Sprayed all of the panels at a 45 deg angle or so, never straight on. That way the paint always kinda shot over the crevices and holes. I am really happy with the depth it gave me!
OnqTdXKfnYUBd43i9-Wx-aD3TUeZKCW8khArk=w840-h473-no.jpg

LzFDK9jD6VzxvBUFEfxser7-e9Bc19EsteNrc=w840-h473-no.jpg

JHzmvco3F68syc6J48uTkj0-l3bv6Y_ecM_iU=w840-h473-no.jpg

omcGa1Snht6TTF0T01E0IXSWUGte2_FAyQU7Q=w840-h473-no.jpg

bEFX2ex3mi6kNu_e55jaYAevrrRNMZb78Byw4=w840-h473-no.jpg

Dk8RI3Km_Olupg8_TqHTZJzWIFn2LKRE_rzXc=w840-h473-no.jpg

NmCSiPnKvS9WHonNYrWugpZP_1hXF8bh5cE-E=w840-h473-no.jpg

udhSbqNjRwWo6qMZHhxx8pODdUGJOWH_vqefE=w840-h473-no.jpg

8e9Xi1HKu11EmUV1jmUu_mNfUlka5glmmRCFE=w840-h473-no.jpg

4nJgx-j72S0Dx9s61uGO6n3eyIF96DVda03Ww=w840-h473-no.jpg

JGKdYagAO3M5P6ju6nyeM0TR-vw4-k7X17fxw=w840-h473-no.jpg

I have more work but that's enough pics for this post!! Needless to say, I am now 100% basecoat complete!! Starting to do some initial base weathering work now before I start the assembly process. Hoping to have this Hunk of Junk finished in the month!!

Last edited:

is always nice to see progress on your build. Loving the blacked out theme.

SirCharles, what primer and paint you're using? sorry if has been answered before.

I was considering buying an airbrush mostly for the Hasbro Falcon and some future builds but now I might just hold off on that after seeing everything you've done with rattle cans and brushes. That test panel is absolutely perfect. How many cans of Insignia White did you end up using?

Thanks! I am using primarily Tamiya paints. I used Surface Gray Primer for the primer over an adhesion promoter. Then I used Tamiya Matt Black, and then Insignia White over that. I did use a little Testors Flat Black because I ran out of Tamiya but since it was going to be under the base coat it seemed like a non-issue. Would never attempt that on the base coat!!

is always nice to see progress on your build. Loving the blacked out theme.

SirCharles, what primer and paint you're using? sorry if has been answered before.

- - - Updated - - -

I will have to look again but I think I used about 4.5-5 cans total so far. Some of that is for testing though so the Falcon itself would be slightly less.

I was considering buying an airbrush mostly for the Hasbro Falcon and some future builds but now I might just hold off on that after seeing everything you've done with rattle cans and brushes. That test panel is absolutely perfect. How many cans of Insignia White did you end up using?

Hey thanks for asking! Yes I actually have been making lots of progress...just been super busy and not getting them posted. I hope to post an update in the next day or 2. Sorry for the delays!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

OK so last time I think I said I planned on having this Hunk of Junk done in about a month...well....life got in the way. So it's been over a month and a half and I am nowhere near done. But I do have progress!!

I did some finalizing on one set of pieces. The fans for the inside of the 6 exhaust vents on the back top. These are gonna be hidden a lot by the vents so I wanted to do some practice weathering on them just to get some ideas.

Primed with Tamiya Surface Gray Primer.
X9RBKRc7nJL12tmYnR6qPNlwH7k5mMOiHjYrg=w840-h473-no.jpg

Next I did a pass with German Gray to give them a base coat.
5i1u3hh8qTaBouknIw43x-0CdI3eGyRDZaeJ4=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then some rub n buff Pewter (LOVE THIS STUFF!!!) to give them a shiny metal look and some quick dry Lamp Black to add some black oil weathering to the crevices.
KKMfT5wf9bN17rzRamaXrjZbNprnqR1Um8ngI=w840-h473-no.jpg

Is2ViLdkN23ix2n8BlUTHYooZr2rYPn29WmJg=w840-h473-no.jpg

Finally I used some Burnt Sienna Oils with Turps, some shaved pastels, and a Tamiya weathering kit to give them some more wear and tear.
SVsAsavixW1-8gu1_Aa5MRLoEhZXUTwc3ABRs=w840-h473-no.jpg

Please let me know what you think! I am most worried about weathering the inside of the wells on the hull and I would love any tips and ideas you can pass along to make it look better!

More updates coming soon!

Last edited:

Forgot that in the middle of doing the vents I also finished up my engine assembly. (Painting wise at least)

Here is what I did with that.

Painted it all black just like I did with the hull. In this case its to help block out light even more as there are going to be bright LEDs insde this thing and I don't want them to leak through.
jTfUwMQpcCt9nTg6dBLXkSuJOZFU-fa5qe4Zs=w840-h473-no.jpg

Next I painted the inside with a chrome metal paint. This is to help bounce the light around the inside to get the most illumination possible from my LEDs.
BobYRSTx6iotMUJe2nIhdiB1WSZGUWI8IkB1M=w840-h473-no.jpg

Then I used the Rub N Buff Pewter again over all of the chrome I previously painted in it. This really shines it up and makes it reflective.
Fk6E9G_kJDb2ARRhFZSTvq5nRvNKEGfAIBOwM=w840-h473-no.jpg

sdDGOIMjZs557lT2Vc4-oAqrcyHS8AZOG8aCw=w840-h473-no.jpg

Painted the areas that will be visible on the outside with German Gray to give them a base coat.
4chYU6mjVZQVpWtGHUmKvgKErR3FwLbEaTI84=w840-h473-no.jpg

bk8-Yoip3iTywRct0ckD23TK-I7peNzuDmCPI=w840-h473-no.jpg

Masked off the grating on the lid and gave it a coat of Insignia White so that it matches the rest of the hull.
JiXuG8xPGC0GGXfm7rZW6dkJ1wHFeL5n8HaM0=w840-h473-no.jpg

mQEL61wyZiX-oZ5mxBuGEL4_FqYmDmE96r7W0=w840-h473-no.jpg

Lastly some more Rub N Buff to shine it up on the edges. Gives it a look like its metal that was painted and most of the paint is worn off now.
x0xxlEQ2Gz_1rUfgr5R6VI2nvhgcfAxBcgvIk=w840-h473-no.jpg

And some fast dry oils on the grating to add some dirt and grime.
WNXLuW8f4TTiUpkyULL1gb1qrMUhTSkyLAHw0=w840-h473-no.jpg

Those are now ready to go! Just need to assembly them when I install the lighting rig and glue them into the hull.

Last edited:

I love the work you are doing. How did you cut the notches in your hull panels? I want to replace the sticker locations with styrene, but I rue the thought of cutting all those little notches by hand.

Really moving along, Sir Chuck! One thing - be careful using paper towels as masks; they are made to be absorbant and so are subject to bleed through (I once had paint shoot straight through on an A-Wing model, but those were the really cheap kind...) I like using plastic bags, cut open into sheets or even intact. Even those require care because of pinholes that sometimes get in them. You can also use kitchen plastic wrap. But all plastic needs something to keep static under control, such as a water spritze. Water also can be useful with paper towels...

Regards, Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back