Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

a little more refinement on these guys.

attachment.php

Very cool work on the panels and box construction, they would look great vacformed and put to use.

Does it look like there may be an extra line/lip on the inside of the circular recess and possibly a curve around the inside edge to the panel's backing? If so, would it be too tricky to insert.

Hey Wavey,

I think you may be right about the additional circle inside that 'fan' area. Not sure if it's an actual detail in the vacuformed part of if it's a decal though?

I think the image you posted on the right is in black and white, like this image below, where you can see circular decals which have been liberally applied (which would be red, like in the picture you posted on the left). You can also see another copy of the "fan unit" which doesn't look quite like it has a circle. But I'll keep an eye out in case I need to change it. Thanks for pointing it out!

screen-accurate-millennium-falcon-cockpit-cg-model-anh0218.jpg-110132d1346108218

A bit of a beveled edge inside the lip of the backing does look feasible. Could it be an artifact of the vacuform process they used, like the rough edges around the bolts in the far corners of the backing? (I don't know much about vacuforming myself. )

One thing I was curious about, and your picture seems to confirm, is that the large protruding cylinder part has a square peg sticking out of its interior cross, and not a round one, as I had built. Thanks!

Hi Steve, there was something conical sticking out of the centre of the fan part from the 'hanger' scene - might be where that slight circular dip comes from. The conical part itself also has a circular dip in the centre of it, but I think this panel is the only example with that part stuck on so perhaps not too relevant as a detail. Another good excuse for me to watch the movie again lol.

I don't know what you think about this idea, but my thought was that there is also an inner circle/ring inside the holes where the 3/4 lights sit - essentially, if you was to turn the lens and bezel part the other way round and pressed it in, the distance from the bezel's outside edge to the lens edge looks to be the same size as where the inner circle is. (If that makes sense).

Does that square part in the middle of the other greeb look like a button? Yay, more buttons to hunt, lol.

Well how about that, I never caught that panel in the hangar. Further proof of the subtle use of the panels, too. They only appear in rebel or neutral locations, never on Imperial equipment (well, so far as I've seen anyway.) Good eye.

Yeah, I'd agree that the conical bit is an added greeble, or only appears on this panel.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the reversed lights?

As for the button idea... I'd say it looks more like it's just a square bolt end, and not a button. Perhaps because I'm experiencing some "obscure button fatigue". Still, can't rule it out.

While hunting these, one possibility mentioned was that some could of been molded as this fits. All possibilities are still open on the idea.

I haven't searched if this idea has been covered already so I may be running over old ground.

"obscure button fatigue" is deffo the term lol! But the search for these ...things has taken me on a mad sci-fi journey back to 1962, transceivers, old studios and nuclear bunkers, ha!

Last edited:
The lampholders the company still sells now are the closest model - the ones people sell as 'vintage 1950s' are close but often the bolt holes are in the wrong place and have a few extra slats down the side. The 8 hanging objects, 4 either side of the MF's ramp, are also something similar.

Last edited:
Apologies for going OT here Steve, I forgot to mention that I think the glass domes that go with them lights ended up on top of the 4 pillars behind the Stormtroopers in this shot. Double the prop for ya'buck :) Hopefully that may help with scale if anyone makes them at some point.

CoughtLightDomes1.png

Looks brilliant Steve, looks as though it's there.....I would like to make a miniature version of this for my projects

J

I've used the past few days to marvel at your creation Steve. Its been a fantastic journey!
Can't wait to see what else you come up with :)
Thanks man for sharing your creative process.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back