Screen Accurate Millennium Falcon Cockpit (CG Model)

Finally back to the Falcon for a while. I did some work from screencaps of the full scale exterior.

attachment.php

Sofaking, I have to make texture maps for the weathering. Some stuff I can build right in, like blast holes. I've been putting it off though, since I seem to rebuild all the plating every three or four months.

In fact I'm completely rebuilding all the greebles from amidship forward, at the moment. I've been able to photomatch a number of pictures of the Full Scale Half-Falcon, and I've been adding more accurate details. As you'll see from the next few posts, there are some seriously weird details. The ship will eventually be a hybrid between the ANH FS Falcon, and the 5' Studio Model. You might think, well why doesn't he make it a hybrid of the ANH and ESB FS Falcons? Well, I may still do that. For the moment, there are some areas I've put a lot of work into, taking notes from the 5-footer, that I'm loathe to delete at the moment. But I'm always on the hunt for a more movie-set accurate build, so it's not out of the question.

JPGs, but truth be told I'm not too hot with texturing. Add on top of that the fact the Sketchup's texture tool is like a tasteless joke, and you start to see why I've actually been putting it off.

Some of the greebles I've been adding, in a so-called clay render.

You might notice that the first set of greebles on the far right look like the wall mounted panels in the Blockade runner corridor. That's exactly what they are on the full-scale falcon. Another case of prop recycling. (Though, can anyone shed some light on which set was built first, the FS Half-Falcon, or the Rebel Cruiser?)

attachment.php

The Falcon was first. The blockade runner set was the last one constructed. Lucas actually went against orders to have the new set made, as he was over budget. Hence the Falcon interior and DS set recycling already mentioned.

Maybe after dismantling the fs Falcon, they picked through the wreckage in a pile at Elstree and selected that panel to use as a vacuuform buck for the blockade runner wall panels.

Good eye! I had never noticed that panel (nor the Falcon hold reuse).

Been catching up on the last few months of work steve. Made for a very enjoyabe morning.

I am realy loving the Falcon exterior build. I would love to make a scale version of the set model one day out of an AMT. ( Ridding your coat tails that is). I may have missed this but did you use the Johson plans for the blue prints? I am still of the opinion that they represent the 5 Foot falcon.

Regards

Ozzy

Treadwell, thank you! Your suggestion seems pretty plausible, though there was something in the back of my head saying that I'd seen them elsewhere. Those two panels were also used on the Tunisia sets, as well as the Mos Eisley sets at Elstree (where the below 'generator' boxes appear regularly):

swnh_0817.jpg

seems like someone said: here I made two panels, vacuform me a hundred copies and glue them to everything you can lay your hands on.

Honestly it seems like it was a pretty good technique. The viewer never quite notices it without some serious scrutiny, and it lends a subliminal consistency to the design aesthetic.

Ozzy, thanks for the compliment! I would love to see a scale model of the all weird details of the fullscale, and I had been toying with the idea of tackling it myself (though I have practically zero practical model building experience). It could be great to work with you on that one day. As to the Johnston sketch, do you mean the one with the interior details, or the one with the extra prongs on the insides of the mandibles? If you mean the interior study, I overlaid that on top of the blueprints for the ESB falcon from Rinzler's book, and it was a dead on match. It would seem there were blueprints for the FS Half-Falcon that got recycled and updated by the Marcon people for ESB. I would kill to see those original drawings for the ANH Falcon. But to answer your question, I used the drawing of the ESB Falcon's underside, and a cross sections of its ramp, to get my dimensions. Good thing it turned out to match the ANH falcon's shape, or else I might make myself start over...

Last edited:
bringing it back to the falcon interior (before I go off on a tatooine tangent and recreate those generator boxes accurately), I wanted to get your opinion.

so these are the greebles that adorn the top of those boxes:
attachment.php

and these are the nozzles that are both in the ANH and ESB Falcons:

screen-accurate-millennium-falcon-cockpit-cg-model-hallway_light_detail2.png-43821d1296054944

same part, don't you think?

anyone have a close up of the tatooine boxes, aside from the screen caps? I know there's one pretty up close picture of them, but I can't find it anywhere.

Yes! :lol

looks like there were four panels. I don't think I've seen the one on the far left glued to anything else, but I think the one second from the left appears on the side of the FS falcon's mandible (not sure yet.)

one other thing I noticed is that none of these panels show up on any Imperial technology. Only rebel or neutral folks seem to have it. Another subtly from the art department.

COSEDIMARCO: Your models look pretty good there. You would be surprised how much you can find with endless obsessive google searches. Most of the production blueprints I've found have been tiny tiny little images that I've extrapolated info from, and then subsequently found larger copies to make revisions. I've got a lot of help from the folks on the board, too. Keep looking, the answers are out there!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back