Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

I just watched the trailer and i like some parts but not others. I love the drones, ed 209, and the enemy armor. I can even dig that he has a machine pistol instead of the normal pistol but keeping so much of his flesh i'm not digging. Heck i may learn to like it but it's still not robocop.

"He suffered 4th degree burns over 80% of his body."

Umm, how?

80percentburns_zps88d190bf.png

The explosion looks like it would hurl him across the yard. Did he crawl back into the car without realizing it was still on fire?

Just rereading the article about Rob Bottin in the August '87 Fangoria (yeah I'm that nerdy lol). They said that the movie initially got an "X" rating because of the scene where Peter Weller is initially ass-kicked. Now, I guess that would be pretty tame.

Umm, how?

The explosion looks like it would hurl him across the yard. Did he crawl back into the car without realizing it was still on fire?
Maybe he landed in a bush and then one of the flaming fragments of the car landed in the bush and it caught fire, which then caused Murphy to sustain his burns.

Ignoring the fact that a proper car bomb that was concussive force and not just gasoline for the fiery effect would kill him dead at that range.

Trailer looks decent, but a good editing job can make any terrible film look decent.

Went into the trailer wanting to hate this movie but came out willing to give it a shot...
I'm guessing that's exactly what the people responsible for this remake are counting on. I can just see them sitting in a staff meeting saying, "All of those naysayers are going to be eating crow when they see this!!! *insert evil laugh here*" :lol

I can see them releasing a version of this film on blu ray with intact violence like the first. Case in point, my buddy downloaded a rip of World War Z which for a "zombie" flick had almost no violence whatsoever but he said it actually gets a bit more violent then what you see in theatrical cut. They just want to bring as many people as possible into the theatre as that's where they make most of their money. Then home video can do what it likes.

Umm, how?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/lordJeyl/80percentburns_zps88d190bf.png

The car bomb didn't irk me so much that they had a shot of him in the hospital bed with an amputated leg and arm, and the rest of his body that looks like at worst 3rd degree burns. There's a reason why 4th and 5th degree burns are seldomly spoken of; and don't google it if you don't have the stomach for it.

But I think what annoys me the most is the lazy makeup and prosthetics.
Let's take a look at THE Robocop.
norm46d4b2dbe603arobocopc4.jpg

Just by looking at it without any context, you know exactly what this is. It's a cyborg robot. His face looks like it's stretched over a metal skeleton. It's got gizmos and doodads sticking out like a machine would have. They took their time with the makeup and prosthetics and it really pays off, this dude is creepy without his helmet on!

and then there's Mr. 4th Degree pretty boy...
RoboCop.png

The man looks like he's contemplating how to put on the other glove to his exosuit. Without context you would never guess that this is a cyborg dependent on it's cybernetic components. Like others have said it looks like a man in a suit.

Don't get me started on his leg holster. The one thing where practical effects SHOULD have been used and they copped out with bad looking CGI. :facepalm

But there were other things I liked, I liked Michael Keaton, I liked the new Ed's. I have no idea what the plot is about though. A boy with daddy issues?

I'm just waiting for the DVD release where the director will inevitably make comments like "We wanted to make it darker, grittier and grounded in reality".

The original Robocop was still what I consider a HARD R rating. Lingering shots and no fast cuts when bullet wounds were sustained. The animatronic Weller bullet-to-the-head was perfect, for it's time.

I agree with the face being too pretty, especially with the explosion being right on him. I hope the bomb was some OCP creation designed to cause the specifically to ",create" a test subject for Robocop, or some similar double cross motive...

As always people, I usually wait for reviews on something like this. So, yes, I like what I see for the most part. But, if the reviews overwhelmingly say it's a stinker, no way am I considering it in theaters.

Yep, this movie follows the "Pretty Actor" syndrome of current movies. Regardless of what the movie is it has to have a pretty boy/girl playing the lead. Forget the tough and gritty actors playing these rolls anymore, they all have to be young twenty somethings to appeal to the masses, tweens, etc.

Not impressed with Keaton sadly. The few scenes they show, he seems lifeless, as if he's reading off a teleprompter and bored to be there. No emotion. Nope, this movie was done to cash in on the success of Iron Man/Batman/Avengers/etc. I can't blame the makers for that, but the amount of rip offs is just sad.

Yeah. And if I recall correctly, the marketing department characters of OCP says it looks like crap. So they're crapping on the first film. **** that. They won't get my money by crapping on a classic film.

I'll take it one step farther. I got the impression in was a preemptive shot at fans of the original Robocop who only see Iron Batman Beyond with this new suit.

When I saw the silver suit, had an open mind and was hopeful, but then I saw the close up of Murphy's face and now all I can think of is Shaq's Steel. :facepalm

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back