Naked Gun Reboot!

Why not just make a Naked Gun inspired original with Liam Neeson instead of trying to wallpaper over the original?

Remakes are nothing new. Since the beginning of movie making, films have been remade or reworked with a new title, and often, it happened every decade. Look at films like A Star is Born. That fill alone has been remade four times. And it wasn’t the current studio people behind that.

Remakes seem to be most of what is coming out now whereas in the past there was a slightly better balance between rehashing and originality. I think less would be bothered if there weren't so many remakes and fewer of them were dumpster fires.

Nope. No Leslie Nielsen, no "Naked Gun".
I've always wanted to see a parody of all the Liam Neeson movies where he gets revenge on those who wronged him, starring him. Just call it "A Vengeful Man".
The film opens with him on the phone with someone he's going to find and he's going to kill. Turns out it's just the restaurant that shorted him on his drive thru order. They offer him the missing item and another for free the next time he comes in.

"Well... Okay then."

I hope it doesn't turn out to be an insult to the Naked Gun TOS, but I do like Liam Neeson as an actor, so I'll wait for the reviews before deciding to go see it.

TazMan2000

jontron GIF

I thought Angie Tribeca had a very Naked Gun/Police Squad type of humour to it. They got 40 episodes out of that. I think there's potential for this reboot to be good if they actually commit to it, instead of making it some throw-away cash-in crap like Starsky & Hutch etc.

I don't think that a remake of Naked Gun would work in today's environment. They'll almost certainly pull most, if not all, of their punches because people are so easily offended these days leaving the humor in the film not very humorous. This is definitely not the time for making any kind of movie that relies on a certain amount of silly humor. But who knows, maybe there are enough people out there who are tired of tiptoeing around everything for fear of offending someone that this movie will actually do well and the writers are willing to risk offending the easily offended out there.

I don't think that a remake of Naked Gun would work in today's environment. They'll almost certainly pull most, if not all, of their punches because people are so easily offended these days leaving the humor in the film not very humorous. This is definitely not the time for making any kind of movie that relies on a certain amount of silly humor. But who knows, maybe there are enough people out there who are tired of tiptoeing around everything for fear of offending someone that this movie will actually do well and the writers are willing to risk offending the easily offended out there.

The writers of the show will probably look to theRPF's "Funny/Cool" thread for ideas and inspiration.

TazMan2000

What? OJ's not available. He's out looking for the real killer.

I wish people would start writing new shows instead of hijacking old properties. There's no reason to reboot this.
I both agree and disagree. There was a time when reboots and remakes made a lot of financial sense back when the overseas market, most notably China, was a great way to make lots of money relatively easily. But now with China's growing domestic film industry, reboots and remakes designed to take advantage of the overseas market don't make as much sense.

On the other, hand, reboots and remakes are nothing new and have been around since Hollywood first started. Silent films were remade as talkies, and B&W films were remade into color films. Various beloved classics are actually remakes of an earlier version of the film. I also see remakes as a way of bringing an older IP to a new generation of fans. And in this case, I think that The Naked Gun franchise came out long enough ago now that it's ripe for a remake. I just question the timing of remaking a slapstick film franchise in an age of hypersensitivity and even the most inoffensive things now being considered offensive.

Well... the current climate is probably the best time to do it. To shake things up and put a spotlight on the idiotic state of affairs.

The bigger question though: is Liam Neeson actually capable of being funny.

Leslie Nielsen was a comedic genious. What has Neeson done that makes sense to hire him for this kind of movie?

Well... the current climate is probably the best time to do it. To shake things up and put a spotlight on the idiotic state of affairs.

The bigger question though: is Liam Neeson actually capable of being funny.

Leslie Nielsen was a comedic genious. What has Neeson done that makes sense to hire him for this kind of movie?
I don't wan't to post it here, but if you search "Liam Neeson improvisational comedy" on YouTube you'll find a video with him, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Warwick Davis that might answer your question. If you're offended easily I recommend skipping it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back