Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

In case anyone's curious, here's the trailer for the original.

You know, after watching that it's clear how much more formidable the original Robocop is. In the scene in the drug factory where Robo busts in and says "come quietly or there will be, trouble" you just knew people were gonna get messed up because he was a bad ass. This new one is in no way going to capture anything like that due to the fact that he just doesn't look intimidating at all.

so if this move was to say to me "come quietly or there will be, trouble"........my reply would be "Ahhhhh **** You".

The black suit looks so.. cheap. Its almost like they gave up and just padded out a set of Motorbike leathers.

I only HOPE that the black suit is a transitional one to the blue/silver one we see. I'd be happy with that kind of a progression, but it seems to feature far too much in the trailer for me to believe that.

As i Brazilian i went nuts, when padilha was annouced as director not for national pride or anything like that, but for the work he did in "Elite Squad" and "Elite Squad: The enemy within"

Of course my hype pretty much took a dive dow to a pile of s***, when they announced PG-13 rating, and fell down even more when rumors that padilha wasn't happy working on the movie cause he didn't have much liberty.

but after watching the trailer the hype is back on, not at the level as was before but pretty high still, and i know is not gonna be a good as the original but still gonna be good.

Horrible unnecessary reboot, abomination of a suit :sick

TBH, the reaction of people to this movie and trailer is a lot better than the actual trailer. It's funny how badly people want to see this flop.

people are.... :facepalm

I always loved that they used the theme from The Terminator in the trailer.

RoboCop vs The Terminator :p
Love Brad Fiedel's work :D

You know, after watching that it's clear how much more formidable the original Robocop is. In the scene in the drug factory where Robo busts in and says "come quietly or there will be, trouble" you just knew people were gonna get messed up because he was a bad ass. This new one is in no way going to capture anything like that due to the fact that he just doesn't look intimidating at all.

so if this move was to say to me "come quietly or there will be, trouble"........my reply would be "Ahhhhh **** You".

Ugh, just saw the first movie preview. Maybe I'm just a little late on the reviews, but REALLY?

I like the actor. A lot. But find Rosie Larson's killer first. Then we'll talk.

I think I've figured out why I don't like the new Robocop.

He's too sleek compared to the original.

The original Robocop had a very industrial look to him. He looked like a cyborg, and his sheer size told you all you needed to know about how powerful he was. He was well armored, slow, and had a very mechanical feel to him, from the way he moved to even the sounds he made. You KNEW he was a robot, and Peter Weller sold it like ice water in the desert.

This new Robocop is... not. Yes he's apparently big, but as someone once pointed out, it looks like they got Tony Stark to design the look. The difference is as jarring as looking at Optimus Prime next to Roddimus Prime.

And honestly, why did they have to make him so fast? The whole thing I loved about Robocop was that he was a walking tank. He was so well armored that he didn't NEED to be fast. He was the epitome of the inexorable turning of the wheels of justice. No matter how far or how fast you ran, no matter what you threw in his path, he would catch you.

Now, he's just another robot.

Went into the trailer wanting to hate this movie but came out willing to give it a shot. Which strikes me as a pretty big win for them if that's a common sentiment. I'm willing to give it a shot is a very different feeling from I hope every copy of this movie burns in a great big fire along side every copy of ET for Atari. :)

I think I've figured out why I don't like the new Robocop.

He's too sleek compared to the original.

The original Robocop had a very industrial look to him. He looked like a cyborg, and his sheer size told you all you needed to know about how powerful he was. He was well armored, slow, and had a very mechanical feel to him, from the way he moved to even the sounds he made. You KNEW he was a robot, and Peter Weller sold it like ice water in the desert.

This new Robocop is... not. Yes he's apparently big, but as someone once pointed out, it looks like they got Tony Stark to design the look. The difference is as jarring as looking at Optimus Prime next to Roddimus Prime.

And honestly, why did they have to make him so fast? The whole thing I loved about Robocop was that he was a walking tank. He was so well armored that he didn't NEED to be fast. He was the epitome of the inexorable turning of the wheels of justice. No matter how far or how fast you ran, no matter what you threw in his path, he would catch you.

Now, he's just another robot.

Thats the thing nowadays.... they always go for realism (as far as realism goes with these things lol). The idea is. With technology advanced as much. If they were to make him. Thats how they would do it. To plough that kind of money into a cybord for him to then be clunky and slow would be a serious design flaw. It wouldnt happen. Much better to be able to get him to avoid a missile with agility then let it hit him and hope he survives.

I know its not real. But in every film thats what theyre going for nowadays. Its why optimus isnt a flat nose truck. Although im sure some people would have complained about a mass issue if they did it the other way.

I think the fact that were also in an age where we like to see the davids beating the goliaths also has input. People like to see heros win due to skill and agility rather than an unstoppable tank.

Im not saying its the right aproach here. Im just saying I understand and its a valid route in my eyes. And like with every other film. Ill either like it or not.

Theyre always gonna **ss someone off. Some people complain when they change it. Others when the copy the old version and say it should have beeb completely new as it wouldnt compare to the oroginal. Etc etc.

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

The trailer actually points to a viable different route for the story/character. Enough differentiation to allow both to exist and be their own thing, perhaps - and it doesn't look terrible!

The biggest gripe outside of the design of the suit is the story. From the trailer, it's apparent that Murphy's death is no where near as violent as the original. To top that, his wife still hangs around. The original, Murphy died and that was that, his life prior ended, only to be "reminded" by Murphy's memories before. As he said to his wife, something to the affect of "This is to honor him and I don't know you," or something like that. Ultimately, I don't think this film is going to portray any sense of sympathy for the character in the same manner as the original...

The biggest gripe outside of the design of the suit is the story. From the trailer, it's apparent that Murphy's death is no where near as violent as the original. To top that, his wife still hangs around. The original, Murphy died and that was that, his life prior ended, only to be "reminded" by Murphy's memories before. As he said to his wife, something to the affect of "This is to honor him and I don't know you," or something like that. Ultimately, I don't think this film is going to portray any sense of sympathy for the character in the same manner as the original...

There's no way they are going to get that kind of emotion behind the character. They basically made Murphy the new Iron Man.

The originals had so much sympathy for Murphy. How could you not? Every time he was getting ****ed up as Robocop I felt bad. Especially in 2 when they captured him and ripped him apart with a jack hammer. Or when all the cops turned on him in the parking garage.

This is making him seem like a superhero i.e. the new Iron Man, or their interpretation of Iron Man. Robocop is just that. A ROBOT. Slow and clumsy. This seems more like a cyborg. To me there's a big difference.

Of course I'm nit picking, but I still want to see it. I'll just have to forget everything I know about Alex Murphy.

Listen guys, Robocop in the 80's could only just barely emote. If looking at his wife for uncomfortably long periods of time can be emoting.

This film won't be a gorefest. How can I justify bringing my children to something that violent? I can't. So now at least there's a possibility of my kids seeing this in 5 or 6 years.

Murphy's death. No way anyone can top that. So instead we receive slight changes in tone and social commentary. Robocop was 99.9% machine...Robocop 2014 is a man in a machines body. Now the question poised becomes slightly different. He is allowed to maintain a relationship with his family, but what can that possibly amount to? It's the same for combat vets with amputations. How do you maintain that semblance of life you once had? Is it easy? Is it even possible?

I hope the director was able to get some of his ideas through with the exces. It sounds like he wasn't allowed to flesh out a lot of his ideas. But we shall see.

My take, based purely on the trailer.

The original was more in the tradition of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein and Blade Runner. Peter Weller's performance, particularly the physical aspects of it, was more about exploring the nature of humanity. What does it mean to be human, if you are a "created" human? It was very much about identity. Was this Murphy? Was it Robocop? What was the difference between the two?

This one seems to be more like a "man in a suit," perhaps closer to the original 8-Man basis. (As I understand it, 8-Man still retained his full human identity, although he existed in an android body, but I'll admit I'm not as familiar with the source material.) It honestly looks...eh...kinda humdrum. I hope I'm wrong and am pleasantly surprised, but the trailer itself doesn't excite me. This is a shame because I think Joel Kinnaman is a terrific actor, and this role will not do him justice. (er...no pun intended)

I'm also expecting there to be ZERO social satire in this -- just straight-ahead action.

Also, Samuel L. Jackson's hair looks stupid.

Thats the thing with them trying to make everyyhing 'real'. If they were to make robocop nowadays. He would actually be agile and fast. Opposed to big and clumsy. Im not saying its the right approach. But theyre going for in this world if it was possible blah blah.... I can see why.

I expected limited violence. Due to the 12a cert.

Theres always going to be unhappy chappys. Id rather have the nitpicking then them trying to make it like the original and have people complain that it was just the same but not as good. Some people like change rather then a complete copy. Others dont. Think ill just go in expecting a popcorn movie. And try not to relate it to the old one. Which if it came out now. Which Would be rubbish IMO. Its like rocky films. Or old games. Theyre good because they used to be good. Show them to kids these days. They think theyre a load of naff. FF7... The greatest game I ever plaid. Brother in law didnt give it 30 mins..... :(

J

Edit. And he kind of is a hero. Fighting for justice. Like dredd. I dont think that means you cant sympethise. I definitley did in iron man 1 and 2. No family when he was abducted. Betrayed by friend. Being kept alive by something that poisons him. Its how they write it that decides how much is given.... he obviously has some issues connecting. With the missus telling him to talk to his son. But your right. He will probably remember them at the end....

I agree with whats been said about the suit. And, it seems like everything is spelled out in this version. Verhoeven presented us with a movie that looked like mindless action but actually was a political satire and a potent drama about humanity. This seems like babyfood.

AWW damm i honestly liked the first secs of the suit with the Original grey etc. then keaton had to say they wanted more tactical and go black xD

I dont get why everyone always thinks their kids need to see everything when they are children. No offense CC, just saying. I hear a lot of gripes about people with kids saying "how am I supposed to take my kids to see this". I dont know, just bugs I guess.

I think the same thing others have said about the suit. He looks plastic, like a toy, like its not even made of metal, rather some kind of plastic, or carbon fiber. There is no way this can even compare to the original, it lacks character. Its obvious that the "Omni Corp" set up the carbomb so they would have someone to put into the suit, and it looks just like that, a guy in a suit. In no way do I believe that its his actual body, especially with the stupid hand showing. I like the idea of "retaining humanity" but the hand makes it look ridiculous. Being able to reveal his face alone takes away from the character. In the original when ED shot him in the face, you realize, holy **** there is a man in there, eyes convey emotion. And if the computer takes over, with a sense that Murphy is backseat the whole time, what would make me even want to "override his priorities". Besides, directives sound way cooler than priorities. When I hear priority I think of my GF nagging at me.

What this is supposed to be: a Robocop trailer

What I actually saw: Bruce Wayne forgetting to add horns to his Batman robots cowl before sending him out to reenact the tower scene in The Dark Knight

I won't buy that for a dollar

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back