Robocop Reboot (Pre-release)

Prepare for wave upon wave of rubbercop costume threads featuring trashcan plastic (not a bad thing mind you if done right). I see stock in trashcan and plastic tote companies going up. Sadly if it wasn't for braindead teenagers we wouldn't keep getting these reboots. I know they've always had braindead teens going to movies, it explains the 20 Jason movies in the 80s lol. Just at least back then they were semi-original.

Last edited:
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this trailer. I wanted to hate it but after seeing the trailer I can't. Yeah it's not the RoboCop I grew up with and I'm ok with that. This actually looks like it could spawn a new franchise.

I'd probably be more okay with it if he wasn't a pretty boy under the helmet. If he had scars or robotics or something. That human hand is bugging me too, what's it hooked to? You're bothering to run a life support system to a hand wired to a cybernetic arm? ED 209 looks way more dangerous than the original, but it was meant to be used around people so it had to look people friendly while the new one is meant for the battlefield. His bike screams toy tie-in, he's going with the 80s Ultra Police motorcycle lol.

My bet is that it's the whole arm, not just the hand and that it's robotically enhanced.

burnt robocop.jpg

Still, given they've replaced most of him you'd think it would make sense to remove something easily damaged. Unless they don't replace that intact leg either. Then again it goes with the mysterious heavy damage of a carbomb that wasn't that big compared to most movie car bombs.

Yep, this movie follows the "Pretty Actor" syndrome of current movies. Regardless of what the movie is it has to have a pretty boy/girl playing the lead. Forget the tough and gritty actors playing these rolls anymore, they all have to be young twenty somethings to appeal to the masses, tweens, etc.
Makes me wonder if that's why they made his face so open, so the actor could get more "face time" with the camera. While the original helmet may have been uncomfortable, I'm sure Peter Weller would agree it was the right thing to do for the character.

Few and far between these days, are the actors that don't mind spending all their time behind a mask or helmet because it's what the movie needs. Karl Urban got more kudos for keeping the Dredd helmet on than he ever would have for having his face on screen for half the movie.

And man, epilepticsquirl nailed it with the costume comparison. And not even just the cyborg parts, but the skin... Weller's skin is made up to look flat, not oily-shiny like human skin, but it actually looks like rubber. Even the normal light diffusion and subsurface scattering is cut way down to help. Fauxbocop's got none of that (love that name, DMD). Really nice eyebrows, too.

The trailer looks way better than I thought it would. I'll give it a chance. I just don't think we will ever get that 80's feel in movies again. Super 8 came close.

At least if Lucas had directed it he would have had the sense to know that 4th degree burns tend to singe your eyebrows off.

I believe the original Robocop to be one of the finest films ever made. Not in a 'fan-loving-special-effects-shooty' way, but as a piece of art in its own right. It was an aching story of identity and loss, portraying Peter Weller as America's version of ******. The entire film operated on two levels in that it was a very beautiful story masquerading as a dumb action film - knowingly so as well. In fact, a lot of the satire is poking fun at mindless Hollywood action films. It lulls people in by promoting all the action, and 'look how cool and testosterone-fuelled this is' but you leave with something far more powerful. The only other film director I can think of who managed to do this to great success was Stanley Kubrick.

It is no accident that Murphy dies in the way he does; tortured and put through trial before being reincarnated. And that at the end of the film when he avenges Boddiker he appears to be walking on water. This is high art, intelligent, sensitive, knowing and is using film to portray a compelling message. Not an easy feat to do, and no remake will ever be able to touch it.

I could go on and on.

By the way:

RoboCop Speaks to Detroit - YouTube

^^THIS!

That said, I'm still gonna go see the new one. If for nothing else to see their silver and black suit for a build. However I'll be singing the Robocop Musical while in line, just to confuse those who are seeing it just for action.

As other's have posted before; I'll give it a shot.

With it's new super-hero movie look and feel it will definitely lose something that the original had.

"Dude!!!! Where's my car????"

"Guns,guns,guns! Tigers are playing tonight. Never miss a game!" How the hell will they replace Boddiker, who remains to this day one of my all time favorite villians. So many classic one liners.Such an utter b******d!
The trailer was better in places than I'd hoped APART from ROBOCOP! Which is bad.He looks like a some kind of version of a ninja Cylon . And, post "accident" ,he doesn't look like he's even had a slight case of acne , let alone suffered a face full of shrapnel from an exploding fireball of a car.
I could barely watch the scene in the original where he gets taken apart by the gunfire. Somehow I think I'm going to struggle to watch this but for a different reason. But, lets face it, the two sequels and the TV series after were almost just as unwatchable.
I'd much rather they cleaned up some of the effects in the original and re-released that. They have twenty seconds to comply!!!!! Still ,at least we have it to treasure after this comes out.

The fact that post cyborg he looks PERFECT could be explained on screen as easily as it's really just his brain and a bit of his skull, the face could be a newly grown one. I mean, if you're saying you can perfectly integrate flesh with machine, why not have the ability to regrow (to a slightly sterile/artificial looking result) human flesh?
As for ditching Boddiker, I don't mind loosing him. They may still have a similar character for the audience to assume is the "real" villain. I can see the double cross at the end coming from A MILE AWAY from the trailer: OCP blew him up. Which then they turned him into a product they could market. I see this being more focused on the slightly anti-capitalist aspects of the original. Not the redemption/resurrection/evolution of the RoboCop/Murphy character. The trick is doing it right.
I'm choosing to be an optimist here on this one. Sure, the "final" RoboCop outfit is terrible, but if the story is coherent and it's delivery isn't too hamfisted, I think I could get on board.

The trailer looks much better than I had hoped it would. I'm surprised at the glorification of the original Robocop - it was a decent flick, but up until the announcement of this reboot it didn't seem to register much on anyone's radar.

The new Robocop armor/suit/body works in 2013 - because frankly, the look of what a robot has changed considerably since then - just look at what's become of the telephone. Fanboys need to get over it and move on already.

If you are going to remake a film, the Studios will usually fund it for a very specific reason. And more often than not its because the original was quite a popular film and the paying customers liked something particular about it. So it’s a good idea to try and recapture those elements again.
I found the original Robocop to be one of the most violently gory and shockingly satirical films about American culture I’d ever seen. And that’s was in a sci-fi film for goodness sake. It was truly unlike anything that had come out before and, to some extent, it blew the socks off the genre. That “wow” factor, that unforgettable impact is why some films are remembered with such fondness by “the fan boys”. That unshakable “ affection ” for something that made you go OOOOH that was an unexpectedly great two hours of my life !!!!!
I was hugely disappointed by the subsequent film sequels . They were made for twice the money of the original and were ten time worse. They lost nearly every element that made that first film good. Don’t even start me on the TV series.
And that I’m afraid is why the trailer leaves me under whelmed. Like a lot of films this year the trailers look superb because visually they all look stunning. But beneath that shiny, slickly edited glimpse of the contents the stories are so bland and derivative they may as well have been written by robots, beat for beat out of the box. They’ve just got no personality at all, all surface no substance.
What made Robocop such a poignant story at times WAS the modern day Frankenstein elements of the story, not just the Robocop but the corporation that made him.
I actually had to look away when Murphy was shoot to pieces and it hurt to know what he had lost, his life, his wife and his son in the pursuit of being a good cop. Even when he’s resurrected they deliberately wipe any part his memory and personality so that any trace of his humanity is lost and he “becomes” an automaton running on their programming. All to make MORE money for a soulless corporation that caused all the problems to start with. Felt true then, feels even more like that today.
And its Murphy’s internal fight, his moral humanity seeking to reassert its authority over the programming and corruption of the system, despite what it has cost him that really struck a cord with me. That, the clever adverts, the brilliant one liners and killer phrases . There’s not too many films where you can say “I’ll buy that for a dollar” and somebody will immediately know what you mean. Or “You’ve twenty seconds to comply” or “Bobbie, can you fly”. At a satirical level it was about the first film I ever saw which made it pretty clear if you are a powerful corporation and you commit a crime ,you’ve just made a mistake, but if you’re poor and break the law you are punished by the system. Banking crisis anyone?
So when I see “Robocop” reduced to the mundane level of a dysfunctional family drama I‘m filled with a quiet dread for the story. Murphy lost everything but at his core he remained true to himself ,over riding his programming by OCD (even the corrupt executive subcommands) and still remaining a cop. But he never saw his family again.
Here ,it seems he’s become less cop more “Robodad.” “You’ve got to talk to your son” pleads his wife, so he obviously retains his connection to his family. His visor now pops up, revealing an handsomely unscarred ,expressively human face to his son. He looks more like a tactical opps version of “Iron Man” from Stark industries. It appears like he was chosen for the Robocop program not so much for his injuries but his good looks and the community friendly smile.
Everything in the trailer appears like just about every other superhero film I’ve seen in the last few years, and THAT kind of writing was definitely NOT what the original was about or like. Not by a million miles.
I’m grateful they’ve kept some reference to the old armour. I think the effects will be outstanding just like every film this year. Its got some great people in it and at one hundred and twenty odd million they've tried to broaden the appeal. But will I care a few hours after I watch it if I ever see it, or any clips from it again? Somehow I doubt it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back