Products that were not intended to be used in model making but work anyway

Pray tell;)
It a well known technique in mitary modelling, gives amazing worn paint effects. Acrylics only!

I'll see if I can find a link to a you tube tutorial.

Its basically paint then hairspray then paint... After a short while using water on a brush you agitate the top layer of paint and the water reactivates the hairspray underneath the outer layer. It can give chipping effects that would take all year to do by brush alone.

No one knows who found this out but it must have been around for 20 years maybe.

i had a look on you tube, there are a ton of vids and ill link a couple to give you the general idea.

i will give you my advice from experience.

1. there are several products available called chipping fluids, they basically jumped on the hairspray bandwagon.
they don't appear to be hairspray as the results differ and even between manufactures.

2. the chipping fluids in my opinion have a larger clunky look to the chips and they seem to give larger chips and more paint seems to come off. maybe too much. maybe that would be more desirable on 1:1 props rather than a scale miniature??

3. some folk use salt as the chipping medium (don't use it, it looks like you have used salt)(same process)

4. hairspray seems to give the most realistic effect with fine chips and more gradual and controllable process

5. if using the hairspray don't leave the top layer of paint to dry too long or it will not want to come of so easily, i try and do the chipping within the hour of top coat application. obviously you would want to let the first coat (before hairspray) to dry completely or you might just take that off too!

On the subject of chemicals-having a water gun with bright LEDs would make a stream of acetone look like a laser as it disolves a styrofoam hull with a red lit pressure-wash water cut stream blasts plaster of paris-sodium framing underneath for a one-two punch of in-camera effects-tweak in post.

Fill the model with vape smoke that curl out when the ship is cut up for scrap (methods above) use a real laser to cut into gunpowder filled foam only for battles.

This way makes the scrapping process look different from battle wounds.

More greeble news—look at all the star shaped highlighters like this:

Good for space station hubs.

Last edited:
I always thought the projectile here would make a good sensor dish

Rubber bullets from Grimburg look like tiny pulse Orions.

Last edited:
Great thread, everything in here is useful!

I used white-out/liquid paper as a filler on models, it dries fast, sands easy and takes paint. I think I used it when I couldn't find my Tamaya plastic putty. It also won't melt acrylic paint like Tamaya plastic putty. I know there's water based putty/filler available, which I"e also used, but liquid paper is available almost anywhere, so you don't have to order it or go to a hobby shop to find it.

I also use Sharpies a lot in lieu of paint - metallic Sharpies look pretty good, and the regular ones can be used to color transparent things like LEDs, and they dry quick, too - I guess I'm impatient, so I look for things that work fast. I used them on my 3D printed NX-01 Enterprise for the bussards and other parts (I wanted more of a TOS look, hence the orange tint to the bussards). I used the liquid paper and metallic Sharpies in making this too:

20200205_140944-jpg.jpg

I also found out (by accident) that masking tape can ne used to take off decals (at least the inkjet printed waterslide decals that I made):

20200128_235117-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ So, the cleaner acts like cement !...., how reliable is it when holding plastic together in the long run ?

You will not be able to tell the difference. In MY opinion, the Cleaner works better. Probably because it's 1/6th the price.

Here are a couple of examples of things that are Airbrush Cleaner-ed together.

DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0206.jpg

I haven't used the actual Extra Thin for a long time.

Rob.

Last edited:
You will not be able to tell the difference. In MY opinion, the Cleaner works better. Probably because it's 1/6th the price.

Here are a couple of examples of things that are Airbrush Cleaner-ed together.

View attachment 1684893
View attachment 1684894

I haven't used the actual Extra Thin for a long time.

Rob.
Well, the cement is worh it ONCE for the applicator's convenience features, after that it's the thinner and a pipette or syringe all the way.

selfmade absolute non bending sanding sticks made from:
acrylic glass leftovers (1 meter 2 €) double-sided adhesive tape and sandpaper with different grains

20230506_202933.jpg
20230506_203033.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back