Products that were not intended to be used in model making but work anyway

Same way people use these, but more versatile, because you can place them anywhere and don't need to change or rotate the tip to switch between sizes
People also use the pliers-type to quickly pump out "rivets" for Steampunk projects.

View attachment 1782700 View attachment 1782701
These can be used to secure the ends of slits in plastics and cloth. If you are adding a slice, vent, expansion accordion or similar and need to keep it from splitting further when under stress. Punch on the end of the slit/split. It creates a very durable stop without a stitch, patch or grommet. It will not suffice in areas of extreme tension.

If doing this on harder plastics, where slits can run away quickly, punch the holes first and cut the slit from one hole to the other. If done with a score first, followed by a full cut, the split will follow the score to the other hole if it tries to run away. Not guaranteed, of course, so practice.

These can be used to secure the ends of slits in plastics and cloth. If you are adding a slice, vent, expansion accordion or similar and need to keep it from splitting further when under stress. Punch on the end of the slit/split. It creates a very durable stop without a stitch, patch or grommet. It will not suffice in areas of extreme tension.

If doing this on harder plastics, where slits can run away quickly, punch the holes first and cut the slit from one hole to the other. If done with a score first, followed by a full cut, the split will follow the score to the other hole if it tries to run away. Not guaranteed, of course, so practice.
That and melting in plastic staples with one of these guys:
1706346589229.png

If you want some very tiny gun barrels, cable connectors, antennas, etc. and you can get them cheap, I highly recommend milspec contacts:

1706406832100.png

1706411041932.png

1706411134867.png

They are tiny, with extremely fine holes that can work very well for very tiny guns and such, if you get the smallest sizes. They can be pretty expensive, but lucky for me I work in the aerospace industry and we throw out broken ones all the time, plus all the extra ones the connectors come with that 'accidentally' make their way into my pockets when I clean up after my shift. ;)

Here's a set of AMT/Ertl TIE Interceptor guns I made using these:

3l9yaJM.jpg

PspFD3c.jpg

Last edited:
If you want some very tiny gun barrels, cable connectors, antennas, etc. and you can get them cheap, I highly recommend milspec contacts:
Great idea!
Years ago, I found out that you can buy those PCB connector sleeves in bulk without the plastic bits. They're perfect for stuff like RCS thrusters on spaceship models.
Sadly, I don't remember the technical name for them so others can easily order a bag as well. Anyone else know?
1706444905463.png

ICEE candy sprays at service stations are molded to look like the Cetacean submersible in MAN FROM ATLANTIS:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back