picked this up for 20 bucks!!!!

Trek920

Picked this up today for 20 bucks.

Works! only issues are as follows (besides cosmetic)

radio missing
only will power on if I press and hold a button that has several lights over it (looks like battery lights)
Key does nothing
actual lights have wires torn off
Tires pretty bad. rear are bald and have torn edges with holes.

My questions would be:
does anyone have any solutions to the start issue?
can I install another turn or SPST switch?
anyone have a wiring diagram do the rainbow cable that used to have a radio on the other end?
Did the steering wheel do anything, it has buttons, im assuming a horn?

2012-12-24_15-17-13_909_zps91da46e8.jpg

2012-12-24_15-17-23_215_zpsc2882739.jpg

2012-12-24_15-17-42_608_zps19ce3766.jpg

2012-12-24_15-49-54_520_zps2be11063.jpg

2012-12-24_15-50-05_436_zpsb7e8b77e.jpg

no wiring diagrams. waiting for the folks at the PW forums to get back to me.

on the otehr hand...shoudl I turn it into Barricade from Transformers? or Elanore from Gn60sec?

Well I would say the first thing you need to do is give that thing a thorough cleaning, including the wiring harnesses. Then inspect the connectors for any signs of corrosion or dirt oxidation. Once that is done, then you can start troubleshooting the wiring.

As for the absense of the radio, why not stick in an ipod/MP3 holder?

As for the paintjob, if that red plastic can be buffed back out to a shine once again, I would probably consider just putting some trim stripes on that rather than doing a whole repaint as Power Wheels can go through a lot of abuse. As for a trim package, why not turn it into a new interpretation of Autobot Cliffjumper? (Bumblebee being a Camaro, make CJ a Stang). I suppose Barracade might be cool too, but to take it to town would involve a set of police lights.

If you haven't been to this forum, I would HIGHLY recommend it...

ModifiedPowerWheels.com ? Index page

You will find everything you need to know (and more) on there. I just sold my daughter's Mustang this fall to help fund my Iron Man build. :) It was taking up space in the garage and she had outgrown it. I was able to get the new Mustang hood for mine and made it look really good (the new one has a cowl-style scoop).

One thing that I would recommend to do to it, especially if it is going to be driven in grass or any place with an incline, is to put "traction bands" on the rear wheels. Don't go buy the ones that you see online, however. Go to Walmart and get 26" mountain bike tire, cut the sidewalls off, cut the tire in half and wrap each half around the rear wheels. Secure with screws and voila! No need in chasing after the car to push it because it spun out on a blade of grass and won't move.

yup! im on there posted up both builds already too.

prolly gonna do the pneumatic tire approach if i can get proper size i think 10x4

Here's a pic of my collection before I "thinned the herd". :lol

Collection1.jpg

Parts...

Collection2.jpg

I may be selling the Lamborghini soon. I hate to, but it's just taking up space. I've already sold the motorcycle, the Corvette, the Mustang, the Barbie Quad, the copper Jeep and a Firerock Jeep (not pictured). Going to keep the two Eliminators (one not pictured), as my daughters can still fit in them as well as the purple quad.

Here's the first Power Wheels that I redid. Complete rewire, new paint, actual keyed switch (from moped) with LED indicator.

From this...

03-23-09_1104.jpg

to this...

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5371.jpg

You can also see what the Lamborghini looked like before I repainted it.

i've read a bunch of your posts over there! Your work is really cool.

I wanted to do a keyed switch too, but not sure why I need a relay

I never knew these were so collectible, they were a dime a dozen around here as my friends grew out of them. Almost makes me want to have a kid just so i can customize a few lol.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back