Official accurate Tie Pilot hose search thread - with reward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was thinking "if" auto ducting it would be under dash ducting as opposed to engine compartment.

Doug

Could be either. I have seen some large ducting on older tandem trucks that's exposed right under the dash board that looks similar.

Could be either. I have seen some large ducting on older tandem trucks that's exposed right under the dash board that looks similar.

I'm inclined to think automotive applications, simply by the apparent small gauge of the reinforcing wire; not aircraft or similar grade application by any means due to that itself...

This is a pic of some AC hose from a 1964 Valiant...
achose.jpg

Keep in mind, the wire support may have absolutely nothing to do with the amount of air pressure going thru the hose, but may be there to keep the hose from collapsing due to sharp bends to fit from one place to another...

This particular hose seems to have a small gauge spiral wire, as opposed to the larger diameter wires that we're seeing in previous pics...

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think automotive applications, simply by the apparent small gauge of the reinforcing wire; not aircraft or similar grade application by any means due to that itself...

This is a pic of some AC hose from a 1964 Valiant...

Keep in mind, the wire support may have absolutely nothing to do with the amount of air pressure going thru the hose, but may be there to keep the hose from collapsing due to sharp bends to fit from one place to another...

This particular hose seems to have a small gauge spiral wire, as opposed to the larger diameter wires that we're seeing in previous pics...

Yeah, in the ballpark. :love

Yes, the wires are an anti "kink" feature.

Doug

Re: Official accurate Tie Pilot hose search thread

If someone ID's the correct hose and the available source, PM me and as a reward I'lll GIVE them a tie pilot helmet.

If somebody identified a 100% correct greeblie from the TIE helmet and source would you give them a TIE pilot helmet?;):p:lol

Nope........ Oh well then I will just have to find the hose.

Search on........

Cheers Chris

I have contacted Goodyear to see if they can give me any additional information regarding the products on the link I posted earlier. If anything comes of it, I will post the reply here.

UK company been in the business for years make this in 51mm, 55mm and 57mm. They also appear to make the exact ATAT pilot hoses.

Sorry the pic is tiny but you get the idea coil looks proporional, gaps look proportional, material has the same dull sheen and the material appear to be shrunk onto the metal coil the same way.

Thoughts............

TIEpossible2.jpg

Cheers Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see enough to tell anything.

I'd be interested in seeing the AT-AT hose as well!

Again crappy small pic

possibleatat.jpg

It again comes in all sizes the ATAT is a tighter coil than the TIE but again proportionally looks good.

I will mail the company for better pics of their products.

If these turn out to be ok I wouldn't think it coincidence if they had TIE and ATAT hose.

Cheers Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, I didn't think about it last night, but the pond supply thing is probably a great direction to look in too!

The stuff I send out w/ my kits is pond hose, but while really similar, it's a little too stiff, and rib profile is a little different. Who knows what they use in the UK though. :)

-Sarge

Trying to figure this out for a long time myself. I still think it's a car hose after looking through hose after hose for several years.

This is a great thread and the competition is really making people look. Great idea Gino.
This should be renamed the 'Hose before Bros' thread... :)

Trying to figure this out for a long time myself. I still think it's a car hose after looking through hose after hose for several years.

This is just a friendly reminder to everyone....do not trust photos of any product. After searching for over 3 years for the correct Vader Reveal grey ribbed hose (still no luck), it has been my experience that the pictures manufacturers post are typically the larger diameter hose/duct which look nothing like the smaller sizes. Same material construction, but different look.

My advice, for all those that posted links, is to call and get a sample shipped of the 2" (50mm) hose/duct. Once you recieve it, post pics to the thread.

I had some of that stuff back in the '90s. In black and white. It was on a clothes dryer I had in the garage to, ahh, dry stuff (Mechanix gloves, air filters and rags). I am certain. No idea what the dryer manufacturer was, though.

I believe it to be automotive fresh air duct hose or rear window defroster hose. I found this at jcwhitney.com. It comes in 2" and 2 1/4" ID. Here is the item decription. "Bendable, non-collapsible, heavy-duty hose. Tough rubberized fabric, reinforced with spiral wire insertion. Easily cut and shaped without kinking."

Click on the image for a larger pic.
View attachment 6728

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back