On the hunt for an accurate medieval sword

CreechMagoo

I think its time I get a cool sword, I want to avoid just buying something random off ebay or amazon and would like a high quality piece for my collection of weapons. If anyone has any leads on someone who makes them or any warnings on what to absolutely avoid that info would be much appreciated. Still undecided on what style id be interested in as im very early in my hunt.

I've heard good things about Angus Trim's swords, which are based on historical examples and generally more affordable than some of the higher end places like Albion Armorers. They are available through many different online sites.

I've heard good things about Angus Trim's swords, which are based on historical examples and generally more affordable than some of the higher end places like Albion Armorers. They are available through many different online sites.
thank you, do you possibly have a link I could use to find some?

Budget of course will be the driving factor.

"Todd's Stuff" has some extremely nice/ accurate blades of different periods.

What do you mean by accurate? Authentic looking, or authentic material and processes? I say that because there are numerous places that do decent recreations with modern material and processes that are much easier to afford.

My Mother collects historical replica swords and they are much more affordable than the authentic material and process versions.

It comes down to budget and what you mean by accurate.

My recommendation is always Albion, but I understand that not every collector wants to invest that much. I think the question really comes down to what do you want it for? If it's merely for display- then you can get a nice looking replica from any number of places.

If you're looking to learn how to cut with it, or even spar with it, that will yeild a whole different search for you.

I'm keen to get a medieval sword relic not a new/old sword but given the cost of a genuine one, It will need to remain a wish.

There is something especially appealing for me about a piece of equipment that carries a century-long story.

slider1.jpg

BudK and Museum replicas make some nice wall hanger swords. I do think if I spent $3,000 for a sword it would be in a hermetically sealed, bulletproof, locked case protected by laser trip wires... I certainly wouldn't use it! That's a lot of money (at least for me).

Here is a tip for anyone buying a sword:

The real “historical accuracy” of a sword is judged by the weight. I’m talking real swords used in battle, not ceremonial swords.

Most modern replica swords are 2-3x the weight of original medieval battle swords because it’s simply cheaper to produce.

I have a replica Ancient Greek xiphos that weighs 2.5kg (5lbs) and a historically accurate one that weighs 650gr (1.2 lbs). The heavy one is immediately obvious that it is not real, as it is unusable in combat because it’s impossible to swing fast. The accurate one simply feels like a giant knife, very light.

If you want a sword that is accurate and that you can swing and practice with get one with a historically accurate weight. In my opinion accurate weight is really the #1 criteria. (Apart from structural rigidity and build quality obviously).

Here is a tip for anyone buying a sword:

The real “historical accuracy” of a sword is judged by the weight. I’m talking real swords used in battle, not ceremonial swords.

Most modern replica swords are 2-3x the weight of original medieval battle swords because it’s simply cheaper to produce.

I have a replica Ancient Greek xiphos that weighs 2.5kg (5lbs) and a historically accurate one that weighs 650gr (1.2 lbs). The heavy one is immediately obvious that it is not real, as it is unusable in combat because it’s impossible to swing fast. The accurate one simply feels like a giant knife, very light.

If you want a sword that is accurate and that you can swing and practice with get one with a historically accurate weight. In my opinion accurate weight is really the #1 criteria. (Apart from structural rigidity and build quality obviously).
Not to mention that in campaigns, your arm would get worn out if your sword were as heavy as the "modern" ones. While soldiers were supposed to be in shape, even the best have limits to their endurance.

Not to mention that in campaigns, your arm would get worn out if your sword were as heavy as the "modern" ones. While soldiers were supposed to be in shape, even the best have limits to their endurance.
Yeah. I’ve done historical swordfighting matches. A sword that is not a real weight stands no chance against an opponent with a normal sword. They hit you 4 times by the time you’ve parried one strike.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back