NIKE MAG Knockoffs

I now have a pair of (almost) wearable leather MAGs

stylized-mag-scratch-build-now-leather-uppers-mag-build-77-rear.jpg-114864d1348486385

Really struggling with the thought of cutting the soles off the K-MAGs though.

Oh come on they didn't cost that much and wouldn't you rather have slick new uppers instead of the stock kmag ones?
Worst case scenario you could just buy a new pair and repaint them!

Oh come on they didn't cost that much and wouldn't you rather have slick new uppers instead of the stock kmag ones?
Worst case scenario you could just buy a new pair and repaint them!

Your right. The K-MAGs only cost about $60. The clear soles on the other hand (including all the Shoe Goo) were about $300.

I just need to suck this one up and like NIKE says JUST DO IT!

The ones above are actually from China I ordered from them and 2 weeks later I got an email "we have no longer your order you want, please help pick something else"....Well obviously I didn't want anything else and they wouldn't refund my money so I had to put a dispute in with my CC company...Word of advice don't order from that place lol Get Mark Poons Reps. as we all know he's a good seller.
i had this same problem when i found the exact style of NIKE that Michael Bien wears in termintaor.. then a day later they said that they did not have it and to pick something else... i said i don't anything else. they said i couldnt get a refund... i actually was super pissed that a) they clearley knew they didnt have them... and b) i wanted those damn shoes!!!!!!!!!!!.. so i argued back and forth through email finally got really pissed... i found their number and i called and spoke with someone... needless to say i won and lost kinda ( after all the bull**** somehow they could only give me 50 back because of the cc company or whatever... dont care i won.. WATCH THOSE DAMN OVERSEAS COMPANYS!!!!!!!!

lets just be honest here people... there is no damn reason on gods green earth that Nike cant put these into mass production just like any other shoe they sell. hell even if they made them realistically available to everyone and not just Hollywood, they are still going to make a killing even if the run is only available for like for 6 months.

the universe knows we want these damn shoes... my thoughts... this has crazy old George Lucas stink written all over it.. for some reason he doesn't think everyone in society deserves to have these available and so thats why we are subjected to just knockoffs and the like...
- end rant

lets just be honest here people... there is no damn reason on gods green earth that Nike cant put these into mass production just like any other shoe they sell. hell even if they made them realistically available to everyone and not just Hollywood, they are still going to make a killing even if the run is only available for like for 6 months.

the universe knows we want these damn shoes... my thoughts... this has crazy old George Lucas stink written all over it.. for some reason he doesn't think everyone in society deserves to have these available and so thats why we are subjected to just knockoffs and the like...
- end rant

Well, as Cavx quite rightly put, Nike is all about performance and the Mag is not a practical shoe. And how do you know that a mass retail release isn't coming in 2015, since a patent for the powerlace version WAS applied for. Chillax and be patient.

And...what the heck does George Lucas have to do with anything?!!

I think you mean Steven Spielberg, who had some involvement in the movie.

Last edited:
i had this same problem when i found the exact style of NIKE that Michael Bien wears in termintaor.. then a day later they said that they did not have it and to pick something else... i said i don't anything else. they said i couldnt get a refund... i actually was super pissed that a) they clearley knew they didnt have them... and b) i wanted those damn shoes!!!!!!!!!!!.. so i argued back and forth through email finally got really pissed... i found their number and i called and spoke with someone... needless to say i won and lost kinda ( after all the bull**** somehow they could only give me 50 back because of the cc company or whatever... dont care i won.. WATCH THOSE DAMN OVERSEAS COMPANYS!!!!!!!!

All I can say is contact these guys, place your order and DON'T PAY anything until you have a confirmation email that your goods are picked and packed and ready to ship. Reading back over my own emails, and it seems this "sorry we are out of stock, what else would you like?" is standard practice for them. In my emails, I have told them that I am only interested in the MAGs and if they are not available, I will not be buying anything. I have a reply that states "more MAGs come soon, we will let you know".

I agree but it is also about getting a positive return on their investment. The 2011 MAG eBay sale proved that at least 1500 people were prepared to pay handsomely for these shoes.

- end rant

Speilberg, not Lucas wanted power laces. There is footage on the BD of him saying how cool the idea is and if anything in the film was to become reality, it should be these shoes.

Well, as Cavx quite rightly put, Nike is all about performance and the Mag is not a practical shoe. And how do you know that a mass retail release isn't coming in 2015, since a patent for the powerlace version WAS applied for. Chillax and be patient.

Patent applications don't guarantee these shoes are coming. It is supposed to protect their design and it slows the competition from releasing the shoe. They still may not release anything and there is text posted on the net where both Beer and Hatfield state these shoes will not be made again.

Ok, I'd like to clear a few things up. I'm a BTTF enthusiast just like the rest of you guys, I'm just more of a lurker here than a poster.

Nike's main market is stylized sneakers, not sports sneakers. This changed in the late 1990s with the emergence of retro lines and such. The corner piece of their market comes from their AF1 line and their Jordan line, as well as their tier 0 drops. The Jordan line predominately caters to people wanting form over function, many of them don't even have the same tech specs they did when first released (composite substitute instead of carbon fiber, etc).

As previously mentioned in this article, Nike kept this all VERY underwraps, not even some lead designers of other lines new about the Mags until the drop approached. The creator of bttf accidently let the cat out of the bag when he mentioned different stages of releases. We will see another mag or at the very least mag inspired or power lacing shoe in 2015. I know, its a long time.

When they were first released, I purchased two pairs as second chance offers on ebay, and was able to contact some people over at Nike to dig out a little extra info. Just a little. Nike vehemently told their employees not to divuldge any future information on similar releases, but their was a heavy underlining connotation and many toyed with the prospect of a future release in 2015.

We most likely won't see ANY information on these until late 2013 at the very least, most likely 2014. I wish I had better news.

Thanks for that Alexsewell. I guess based on what you have said, it makes sense why many runners seemed to turn to other brands. I certainly like the look of some of the shoes and in some cases, choose them on that alone - the AIR PRESSURE being but one.

Anyway guys, got busy today :)

attachment.php

Just testing some bits of fabric. I think I found the perfect one. It doesn't really show off well in the photo and looks a little blotchy but close up it is a very close match to the weave of the 2011 Mag and has a uniform colour without the blotchy effect you see in these pics. The lines are going vertically here but will be diagonal in the final shoe. The top part of that scrap upper looks bumpy because the foam is very rough underneath. You can see on the rest of the foam that is smooth that it hugs really well.

The Ribs will be made of foam and i'm going to slice them very thinly at the ends so that they disappear down into the sole without leaving big gaps.

And I have to thank Brad for his suggestion of using the 3M spray products. It works like magic.
Unfortunately I have to work on refurbishing my proton Pack for an upcoming party so I only have time for tests like this right now.

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

Last edited:
You are wise. Yep. T-shirt material. It's actually not from a t-shirt but I was able to buy a bolt of the material from a friend who deals in clothing. It's one of those hi-tech fabrics so makes me feel like i'm using something futuristic (^_^)

I'm feeling more confident about how these shoes would be made.

In Australia, we have SPOTLIGHT as the main fabric supplier and I am sure you can buy a heavy gauge tee-shirt material from them in a light to medium grey as well. I will probably look at another pair of foam MAGs with this type of material over the top in the not so distant future. I'll also do a scratch build on the soles for them as well.

There are very fe places to just buy fabric here without driving forever.

I was using this close-up of the 2011 to match the weave of the fabric and this one looks dead on close up.

Closer Look // Detailed Nike MAG "McFly" Photography | Sole Collector

nice

what do you call it, the t shirt fabric? does it have a like a brand name or type?

whats the content of the fabric? is it cotton mixed with elastaine or something?
im searching for something similar, haven't found anything in the UK yet.

thanks

Last edited:
There are very fe places to just buy fabric here without driving forever.

I was using this close-up of the 2011 to match the weave of the fabric and this one looks dead on close up.

Closer Look // Detailed Nike MAG "McFly" Photography | Sole Collector

There are some really nice images in that link. I wish we had them earlier. Looking at that paint splat, and it is almost as if the paint was not flicked, rather dripped through a strainer or similar. If it was flicked, it must have been thick. When I flicked my soles today, the paint was thin and as a result, I got lots of good small dots, a few longer ones but hardly any of the whips between the dots that we see on the real 2011 MAG.

nice

what do you call it, the t shirt fabric? does it have a like a brand name or type?

whats the content of the fabric? is it cotton mixed with elastaine or something?
im searching for something similar, haven't found anything in the UK yet.

thanks

Compare the fabric on a good quality polo shirt vs a regular tee shirt. Then find the fabric used for that. I'll see if I can macro a shot of what I am talking about.

attachment.php

I feel a new avatar coming on :)

Here are 2 macro shots of samples of higher quality fabric from shirts I had in my wardrobe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have cut out a 800 x 600 pixel box to preserve the 1:1 pixel mapping of the original photo.

I think if the brown material was available in a light to medium grey (and I am sure it is), this might be what we want. The shirt made from this stuff is quite heavy and the material does not rip easily. It is actually a work shirt I was given from a company I did some sub work for. The company owner is really big on quality and his shirts reflect that.

Here are 2 macro shots of samples of higher quality fabric from shirts I had in my wardrobe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have cut out a 800 x 600 pixel box to preserve the 1:1 pixel mapping of the original photo.

I think if the brown material was available in a light to medium grey (and I am sure it is), this might be what we want. The shirt made from this stuff is quite heavy and the material does not rip easily. It is actually a work shirt I was given from a company I did some sub work for. The company owner is really big on quality and his shirts reflect that.

Cool thanks

I've got some t shirts, and they have some good stretch them, yet durable, and they are mostly cotton with some polyester in them.

I might go down to a local fabric shop to check what they have for t shirt fabrics, they might be able to show me some different types.

Those closeup pics of the mag are fantastic, really useful to get a good look without having the shoe in your hand.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back