NIKE MAG Knockoffs

can someone point me to an online place in UK where you can buy some neoprene foam sheet?

Neoprene is essentially wet suit material, so have a look HERE

In Oz we have places like Clark's Rubber that, whilst not the cheapest place, stock most types and thicknesses. This is where I'll source mine.

thanks.

Also, does anyone have any really high quality close up pics of the top part of the official nike mag?

how is the grey outer fabric connected to the top upper leather piece on them? are they stitched from the inside of the upper leather piece? or is the grey outer fabric just glued on?

this is the bit im confused on.

thanks.

Also, does anyone have any really high quality close up pics of the top part of the official nike mag?

I have a collection from the Sep 2011 release, but only one that really shows any detail here. Hope this helps.

attachment.php

how is the grey outer fabric connected to the top upper leather piece on them? are they stitched from the inside of the upper leather piece? or is the grey outer fabric just glued on?

this is the bit im confused on.

It looks as if it is stitched in much the same way the tops of the K-MAGs are done (that stitch line I'll cut along when I extend mine), but I would suggest that is not visible on the outside of the real MAG shoes because they clued this, not stitched to the outside.

I have a collection from the Sep 2011 release, but only one that really shows any detail here. Hope this helps.

attachment.php

It looks as if it is stitched in much the same way the tops of the K-MAGs are done (that stitch line I'll cut along when I extend mine), but I would suggest that is not visible on the outside of the real MAG shoes because they clued this, not stitched to the outside.

Yeah, i think you're right. I guess we can do same, extend and restitch the existing kmag upper, then glue it to the main grey outer piece, that is if remaking the entire main shoe in foam like others are doing.

LOL, i bet we'll end up as shoemakers by the end of this!
:lol

Here's some pics that I've taken here and there for my KMAG conversion. This is my beta model, just so I can learn the best way to do things. Learned a lot from this project, I made my own straps from some pleather I bought at a market and I used a hot glue gun to glue it together rather than stitch. Think next time I'll use a stronger adhesive or stitch it so the stitching is behind the Nike logo and so you wouldn't be able to tell it's been stitched. I've used EL strips for the strap and sole lighting but I've not bothered with the heel LED's for now as I'm trying to work out some kinks with the EL strips as I'm using a clip connection which is quicker but I think it'll render it impossible to wear, which Is what I'm trying to get out of these trainers.

Here's some pics that I've taken here and there for my KMAG conversion. This is my beta model, just so I can learn the best way to do things. Learned a lot from this project, I made my own straps from some pleather I bought at a market and I used a hot glue gun to glue it together rather than stitch. Think next time I'll use a stronger adhesive or stitch it so the stitching is behind the Nike logo and so you wouldn't be able to tell it's been stitched. I've used EL strips for the strap and sole lighting but I've not bothered with the heel LED's for now as I'm trying to work out some kinks with the EL strips as I'm using a clip connection which is quicker but I think it'll render it impossible to wear, which Is what I'm trying to get out of these trainers.

great job. how hard was it to take the rubber off for the sole where the el light goes?

i was thinking of cutting it like nickfox did. but is there another easier way?

Neoprene is essentially wet suit material, so have a look HERE

In Oz we have places like Clark's Rubber that, whilst not the cheapest place, stock most types and thicknesses. This is where I'll source mine.

thanks

how much mm thick neoprene foam do you think is good?

is 10mm thickness ok for the upper part?

great job. how hard was it to take the rubber off for the sole where the el light goes?

A much easier and way quicker way is to use a hot air gun (the same you use to remove wallpaper) as it melts the glue without damaging the shoe. Just leave it on the first setting and run over the first flap going back and fourth for about 10-15 seconds. It'll get a bit warm obviously but all you have to do is gently peel and tug as the glue lifts right up. Just keep it to little bits at a time and it'll come off like butter, no need to cut anything at all. This way there's no damage to the shoe and it'll be the best way to remove if anyone decides to change the sole completely.

I just want to note, that I haven't pulled my sole inserts out yet, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, I plan on using a heat gun to get them off so I can sculpt the new inserts.

-Nick

I just want to note, that I haven't pulled my sole inserts out yet, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, I plan on using a heat gun to get them off so I can sculpt the new inserts.

-Nick

I'd be careful dude, the foam seems to act the same way as that little strip you get between door frames on fire doors. When heat is applied it expands and doesn't return to normal size

The other thing I learned over the week end is these soles don't wear too well. I wore my MAGs for two days to theme parks and the soles are looking much older than shoes that are just a few months old. I'd better hurry with my new clear soles, or I may have to get a new pair of these things.

The other thing I learned over the week end is these soles don't wear too well. I wore my MAGs for two days to theme parks and the soles are looking much older than shoes that are just a few months old. I'd better hurry with my new clear soles, or I may have to get a new pair of these things.

Really? Mine dirtied up quickly but the only signs of wear is on the foam parts rather than the rubber.

Really? Mine dirtied up quickly but the only signs of wear is on the foam parts rather than the rubber.

Yep, I actually have a small bald patch on the outer part of the heel on one of the shoes and it is very close to be a bald patch on the other.

I got some sculptey in the mail yesterday, so decided to try and have a go at making the ankle strap holder.

I did it purely by eye, looking at lots of images of the real mags and trying to copy it, but its quite hard since the shape is unorthodox.

Not sure how they created the original back in 1989.

Anyway, here's what i've come up with so far after a few hours, excluding the slits for the straps. I figure I will have to bake it first, harden it and then do the slits and further modifications. I put some cling film over the shoe and then sculpted straight on them.

Do you think it looks too big? it's quite hard to sculpt all the curves, especially by hand. I guess we can call this method "ClayMag"!

magbuckle2.jpg

Looking good, man.

As for the size, it's probably close to the right size for the real Mags, but it may be a tad too big proportionally on the K-Mags.

Either way, it looks a million times better than what came with those shoes.

-Nick

That looks very neat, though slightly over sized(?). Maybe the colour makes an optical illusion. What size are your shoes?

I have been reading up on PEPAKURA and learned that you can design complex parts like this in Sketch-Up (which I am becoming proficient at) so allowing me re-model my version (1st attempt didn't have the bubble in the back) to look closer to the part as well as allowing me to plan the compartment for the power supply.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back