My Fifth Element Multipass build - TONS of Pics

Re: My Fifth Element Multipass (build)

Great investigative work Charles! I am amazed at your attention to detail.

I scanned the battery cover 1:1 size, would you guys want me to post it for the screw hole locations?

I would like a scan thanks. you certainly took the pass to a whole new level.

Knowing full well that screen caps do lie, I want to show some stuff I got tonight.

david2.jpg

korben.jpg

I can see the shadow around the disk, I beleive that is raised. I can also see the screw hole (that's what she said) on the rectangular part. What I"m not convinced of is that the rectangular part is raised. I just don't see a hard edge on the two borders where there should be one.

I found this one also:
vito.jpg

where you can CLEARLY see that there's a disk on the back that is not integrated into the body. I'm totally on board with the idea that the disk is the battery case, and is removable. But if you look at the overall thickness of the pass, I don't see how there could be an additional layer in there to account for the thickness needed for the rectangular part.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending my kit for the sake of defending it. As many of you know, I have improved and altered the kit as I've been going along based on feedback and feasability. I'm just not seeing that rectangular thing.

But the BIGGEST bummer for me, and the thing that has continued to stump me to this day comes from this screen grab:
david.jpg

What the heck is that line just south of the red bar? It looks like there's a whole other layer there, over what I call the "lower arm" of the pass. But there's no other screen grabs to support this, and I cannot make sense of how that would even work.

leeloo.jpg

Lastly, this picture points out a couple of weird things. First of all are the marks around the yellow dome. Two at the bottom, and very faintly one on the top. These can also be seen in the shot of the pass sitting on korben's desk. For all I know, this is from where they screwed in the screws too tightly from the battery case, and they are pushing up on the styrene. That would make total sense, and may be the case.

But what you can also kind of tell here is that the ring around the dome is NOT flat. I knew this from the start, but couldn't figure out an affordable and easy way to incorporate this into the kit, so I skipped it. it's VERY subtle, but it's there.

You can also see from this picture how the grommet appears to be painted over.

Discuss.

Matt i think that mark under the red bar is a scratch in the paint. That location is around where the pass sits when it is inserted into those card slots.

I just don't see a hard edge on the two borders where there should be one.

There would only be one edge.

Here it is with the contrast adjusted.

web.jpg

I see an edge there.

That edge and the fact that there is a screw there is pretty compelling evidence to say that that part of the back comes off.

Does anyone have an HD cap from when Korben puts his MP in the slot on the Cab? I think the extra thickness in the battery cover is visible there. (at least I think it was there I saw it)

Doing the cover this way doesn't add anymore thickness then the kit was designed, its still a 2 layer battery cover that comes right off the back panel.

I'm still not seeing it. Circled below are the two "edges" i am looking for in the screen caps, neither of which I am seeing.

edges.jpg

And just so they're in the same post, next to each othere...
korben.jpg

I agree that screen caps can be decieving, so I'm not going to be the farm on my frame grabs. I just don't see the extra layer that you're describing.

As for the paint scratch theory, I LOVE that, and it would make total sense.

And don't get me wrong. You can build your kit however you want :) I'm just thinking of ways I might want to improve the kit in the future.

I have to agree with Charles. Even on your screencaps i can see a difference in shade of grey where the edges are.

DSC01984Large.jpg

DSC01955Large.jpg

DSC01979Large.jpg

No, I agree that there are two layers on the back. I just don't think the rectangle is separate from the main body. I'm not seeing any proof of that in the pics that have been posted.

Draw more arrows!! :)

I love me some arrows!

And still, assuming that the disk is just as thick as the rectangular piece, i would expect to see a shadow or highlight similar to the one you can clearly see around the disk.

I'm not convinced.

I don't know, maybe it was sanded and it doesn't show up as well. Not sure why there would be a screw there if not to hold the cover.

well, we are working of the assumption that it's a screw. It might not be. It makes sense that it is, but I'm just not seeing the additional raised rectangle there.

I LOVE SCREEN CAPS!

Thanks for those ZK.

How about this one for edge huh? :)

web.jpg

(link to large version: Large )

Its when KD pushes the pass into david's chest and pushes him back.

:lol
Awesome.

Im glad we can have such great discussions about these things with everyone staying cordial. :)

as a transition from battery cover to electronics, I thought I'd show what it looks like with the cover removed.
You can see in the second one I've built that I added a few small strips to the screw hole locations to beef that area up a bit.

web.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back