My Fifth Element Multipass build - TONS of Pics

Re: My Multipass (build)

web.jpg

More to come. :)

THAT is an interesting grab. VERY interesting. hrm.

Nice finds. Not sure why i never noticed the top edge or the rivet. It's plain as day now that i go back and look at screengrabs. I will have to add the rivet and include the mod on my builds. Thank, and great attention to detail!!

I don't know how smooth that material is on the back part of the multipass, but even if it's a little porous I bet you could use water-slide decal paper for the graphics and it would appear to be printed directly onto the pass instead of attached to it.

Like this:
YouTube - Inkjet water-slide decal paper

Here's a place that sells it:
DecalPaper.com - Decals - Waterslide decal paper or inkjet,laser printers Alps & copiers

though admittedly you could probably find it cheaper on Amazon.

Wicked, those are great suggestions, and I appreciate your research. Good stuff. I chose to replicate the construction technique used on the prop, and didn't go for what might have been "real world" looking. Don't get me wrong, I'm always looking for ways to improve the kit, so i definitely appreciate you input. Historically, I have found waterslide decals problematic, and the print quality not as good as what I am delivering with the ones that come with the kit.

As for the cap I referenced above, what I like is the part that CKL noticed is "thinner" than on my kit. If you look at the scan posted above from the "making of" book, there's a few details that I could simply never make sense of. ONE OF THEM is the exact thing CKL figured out. From the pic, it almost looks like it's rounded, or sanded down... or something. The bummer with that scan is that there's a clipping path that was sloppily put over it for print in the book. The edges of it are not the edges of the prop.

So when I see that capture, you can CLEARLY see that it's a step, or layer, just like on the bottom of the pass. GREAT catch!

if I do another run of the kits, I will certailny incorporate that change into the kit. For now, I'll just have to add that mod into the tutorial.

As for the grommet, I'm still not convinced that there was actually a grommet there in the screen used ones. Sometimes it just looks like it's painted on the inside of the hole. The grommet looks GREAT, and I've seen other folks build my kit who put the groomet in there, and I think it's cool. If there are any screen caps that clearly support the inclusion of the grommet, please post them. In the "making of" scan, it sure as heck looks like there IS a grommet, maybe painted black. But on the screen cap of it sitting on korbens desk, it looks like the hole is painted.

Sheesh, I dunno anymore! you guys are re-awakening in my mind all the details I struggled with for years! lol. It took me so long to reconcile different screen grabs with each other, and figure out how the whole thing fit together. For such a seemingly uncomplcated prop, it sure caused it's share of problems.

Even then, there's still one MAJOR detail that I never quite figured out. I'll see how CKL tackles it in his build. There's also a detail I simply left off the kit for sake of keeping the cost down.

TheNickFox was kind enough to do some high def screen caps for me.

Two things to look at. First look at THIS screen grab:
unclear.jpg

This shows how ambiguous that part on the top looked to me during my research. It almost looks like it's rounded. Like a bevelled edge or something. Really hard to tell.

Then look at this cap, from the same second:
clear.jpg

Because of the way the light hits it, it is absolutely as clear as day what is going on with the stepped lip on the top of the pass. Absolutely stunning.

I'm just amazed that even after all the years I've spent studying this prop, there are still secrets to it. My kingdom for five minutes with a screen used piece!!

Re: My Fifth Element Multipass (build)

I was considering getting the multipass kit, but I don't think the prop kit multipass lights up does it? I see yours does though.

Yeah, you can make it light up, but don't ask me how?? I'm having fun just trying to put it together.. I'm about to start cutting the extra bits off, but scared I'm gonna frak it.. LOL..

The kit includes the LED, but you have to do the battery and switch yourself.

If I can ever get some time I'll finish this write up and show how I did mine. :)

I've finally had some time to work on my second Multipass.
I've taken a few more photos along the way on this build. ;)

The first thing I did when building the 'pass is make 2 small cuts on the main board.

web.jpg

This will give the finished multipass the illusion of a removable middle 'card' section.
Seen in the screen cap of the pass in Korben's apartment here:

web.jpg

I used my scribe saw to make very narrow cuts, a coping saw would also do the trick.

Here you can kinda see how it looks on my finished pass (I need to take a better photo of it)

web.jpg

Tomorrow's agenda: the rod.
:)

The first thing I did when building the 'pass is make 2 small cuts on the main board.

This will give the finished multipass the illusion of a removable middle 'card' section.

:)

That's very cool. I may have to add that to the tutorial. Good stuff!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back