My Alpha Communicator Build

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Even though I enjoy the idealized replicas from The Wand Company, Master Replicas I personally prefer the props as they were. I don’t need the sound or lights( unless they are on the actual prop).
So here is my Alpha Hero Communicator build. I used my references and Herocomm to get the build right.
Many thanks to friend and master prop maker Stephen Pilock for his assistance.

Thanks!
IMG_5172.jpeg
IMG_5173.jpeg
IMG_5174.jpeg
IMG_5175.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5178.jpeg
IMG_5179.jpeg

FANTASTIC! I've been wanting to build this for years, but worried about screwing up the stop watch to moire connection. I have a John Long comm kit and the proper vintage stop watch. Would you be willing to share more details about the watch/moire function and how you connected everything? I've read the HeroComm site detailing how Chang removed the stop watch back panel and inverted the face. But, frankly, I've never quite understood it.

Even though I enjoy the idealized replicas from The Wand Company, Master Replicas I personally prefer the props as they were. I don’t need the sound or lights( unless they are on the actual prop).
So here is my Alpha Hero Communicator build. I used my references and Herocomm to get the build right.
Many thanks to friend and master prop maker Stephen Pilock for his assistance.

Thanks!View attachment 1780570View attachment 1780571View attachment 1780572View attachment 1780573View attachment 1780574View attachment 1780575View attachment 1780576
Brilliant Mark!

Nice, any those parts from a particular maker? or just a mix? who's shells and lid?
Thanks!
The Shells, lid, mid plate, mic grill, control panel, knobs and the jewels were acquired from friend and Master Prop Maker Stephen Pielock. The two piece bezel and all the internal parts I acquired on my own(stop watch, brass tubing, rubber hose ETC...
Steve had a ready made lid for me, the rest I put together and assembled.

Thanks!
The Shells, lid, mid plate, mic grill, control panel, knobs and the jewels were acquired from friend and Master Prop Maker Stephen Pielock. The two piece bezel and all the internal parts I acquired on my own(stop watch, brass tubing, rubber hose ETC...
Steve had a ready made lid for me, the rest I put together and assembled.
I like it, I have not seen those available before.

FANTASTIC! I've been wanting to build this for years, but worried about screwing up the stop watch to moire connection. I have a John Long comm kit and the proper vintage stop watch. Would you be willing to share more details about the watch/moire function and how you connected everything? I've read the HeroComm site detailing how Chang removed the stop watch back panel and inverted the face. But, frankly, I've never quite understood it.
Sorry, I missed that! I used a 1/8"spacer (a circular piece of styrene) epoxied to the second hand on the the stop watch. I trimmed the hands down. Then used a clear epoxy to cement the bottom moire to the spacer, being careful it was perfectly aligned. All this was done after the hole was made in the upper shell for the bottom of the two piece aluminum bezel to sit.
I believe he inverted the face so the numbers at such couldn't be viewed inside the bezel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back