movies you like that everyone else hates

220px-Bubble_Boy_movie_poster.jpg

I like the Ben Affleck Daredevil flick (2003?) and the Thomas Jane Punisher. Those don't seem to be particularly popular...

I thought Repo men was a good movie. Very cool, even if it did copy off Repo! The Genetic opera in many ways.

I like "Repo Men" (and I actually like the props in it too. Seriously, that hacksaw is just begging for a replica to be made), it's just the ending that sucked. The ending is even worse than the "whole film was a dream" type of ending. The only thing that would have made it acceptable is to have at least a few clues that it was the way it was. No one likes endings like the one used in "Repo Men" unless its hinted at more than several times. By doing the ending the way they did it, the filmmakers pretty much gave the audience a middle finger.

OK, I'll admit to a few...

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010) This is actually one of my favorite movies. I don't understand why so many people hated it. I thought the characters were interesting and the props and costumes were beautiful and well made.
The Spirit (2008) Why so much hate?! WHYYYYY???
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (2008) I don't think everyone hates this, but none of my friends or family members like it.
The Village (2004) I like M. Night Shyamalan movies. I also read the book this was based on in elementary school, so that probably helped...

I know this was a TV miniseries, but I really enjoyed Scifi's Tin Man (2007). I know that it was silly, that the dialogue was not very good, that the effects were just awful... and yet somehow I love to watch it. I don't get it either.

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow It's a damn shame this franchise didn't take off. I would have loved a few of these every couple of years. This movie was/is a lot of fun to watch.

I loved Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow! I thought that was a fantastic movie. I was really disappointed when I found out that it was not very popular.

Jersey Girl
Dug it. But then, I'm pretty much the target audience for Kevin Smith's movies. I love all of his films! :)
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Yep, I dug it too. Definitely changes a number of things from the books, but that was to be expected. The cast was brilliant, many of the changes added great new things to the franchise, and if you like nothing else about it, you simply MUST love the opening sequence of dolphins singing "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" or you simply AREN'T a proper Hitchhiker's Guide fan in my book!
HitchhikerSmilie.gif

It's such a shame that we're apparently never going to see the series continued with The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Some of the best moments in the entire franchise happen in that one, and I was really hoping to see it on the big screen with that cast. Oh well, such is life. :unsure
Alien 3
Star Trek IV
Liked 'em both. In fact, ST IV is one of the highlights of the entire franchise for me. I don't understand how anyone could find fault with that movie.

ST V: The Final Frontier, on the other hand... :rolleyes
Johnny Mnemonic
Yep, guilty of liking that one as well. It's tough taking such a short written story and stretching it out to a feature-length movie, but I thought they did a fine job.
The Wraith
Okay, for as long as I've been aware of this movie, it's been considered a cult classic. Again, not sure how someone could watch this and not like it. :confused
Howard the Duck

Mallrats
I liked Howard the Duck when I saw it... in theathers... when it first came out. Been a looong time since I last saw it. Not sure how I'd feel about it now.

As for Mallrats... again, target audience for Kevin Smith's movies right here... and I WAS a mallrat back in the day. So naturally, I LOVE that movie! :):thumbsup
Same here. It was the combination of the live-action film and the HBO animated series that made me a fan of Spawn. Too bad Todd McFarlane has been sitting on the new animated project for too long. How long ago did he release the first images from it? Are we at the 5 year point yet? And it still hasn't been released? What a waste. :(
Tron
The Last Starfighter
The Arrival
More cult classics that I enjoy. :)
Return of the Jedi
Yep, love it! I get so tired of seeing supposed Star Wars fans ripping on it. :angry
Judge Dredd i love it :)
Me too! That movie made me aware of Dredd and got me to start reading the comics! I can't wait 'til Dredd hits theaters in 2012! :cool
Superman Returns I loved it. Yes, even the suit. Even Superman having a son. Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor: awesome.

Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow It's a damn shame this franchise didn't take off. I would have loved a few of these every couple of years. This movie was/is a lot of fun to watch.
I went into Returns expecting it to be exactly what it is: A belated sequel to Richard Donner's Superman and Superman II. And it works BEAUTIFULLY as such. :)

As for Sky Captain, I loved it, but then, I've found that I love a lot of SF in that Golden Age/Pulp Era style, anyway. I do wish we'd seen more of the character, but at least we got 1 really cool, old-fashioned SF movie out of the bargain! :cool
And, yes, Star Wars - the Prequel Trilogy. Admittedly not as good as the Original Trilogy, but I've accepted them for what they are and I enjoy watching them.
Same here. I love the entire 6 movie series and I get really pissed when I see the same fanboys constantly whining & moaning about movies they "hate" over & over & over again, for YEARS on end! I mean, seriously? Don't you have something BETTER to do with your life than wasting so much time on griping about movies you supposedly hated? Things like, you know, going to WORK, or GETTING LAID, or SPENDING TIME WITH YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS?

I mean, I know if I hate a movie that much, the LAST thing I want to do is WATCH IT REPEATEDLY and spend HOURS every day complaining about it on message boards! But maybe that's just me and the common sense I've been cursed with.
I like the Ben Affleck Daredevil flick (2003?) and the Thomas Jane Punisher. Those don't seem to be particularly popular...
I liked both of them, too. :cool

And now I'll add some I haven't seen anyone else admit to liking...

The entire Matrix Trilogy. I LOVE the sequels, unlike most people, who seem to only like the first movie. Guess the movie-going masses just weren't ready for a cyberpunk trilogy with biblical parallels.

And also...

Peter Jackson's King Kong. VASTLY superior to the original, in my opinion, as it took a story that was horribly dated and made it WORK again. :cool

And last, but not least...

The Wachowski Brothers' Speed Racer! That was THE MOST FUN I had at the movies in 2008! :)

See my signature...

I loved the Fountain, but I can kind of understand why so few people tend to dislike it. It's a hard watch... although the visuals are beautiful, the themes can be difficult for some to cope with. I was a blubbering mess by the end of the movie and even my husband was upset.

I could just imagine someone being unprepared and watching it shortly after losing someone to cancer or something and being devestated by it.

A lot of good ones listed here! Didn't realize some of them where "hated".

The Shadow
Judge Dredd
The Rocketeer
Superman Returns (LOVE the production design)
Alien 3 (assembly cut)
The Fountain
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Cut)
The Black Hole
Super Mario Bros.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Hudson Hawk
Event Horizon
Pandorum
Barry Lyndon
Speed Racer

I don't agree that people hate Tron or The Last Starfighter. How can you?!

Last edited:
I love that BAD MOVIES seem to have rewatchability. So many GOOD MOVIES are really only good for like one viewing and thats it.

Sweet

I have to admit I am surprised there are people who enjoyed Hudson Hawk.

I didn't. No offense. :)

But I also fully admit to liking Matrix Revolutions.

Kevin

Event Horizon rocks! I don't think I've ever met anyone who hated it. Ditto for Last Starfighter and Tron and even the Dark Crystal. The Dark Crystal was all the kids favorite "muppet" tape back in gradeschool.

I know I'm not alone with some of these but some may get the rocks chucked at me.

Zardoz- I saw it on TCM late one night, years ago before the internet explosion on the thing. I saw that Webley and the floating head and I was hooked. Funny thing is I also found The Forbidden Planet that way as a kid. "That's the robot from the Twilight Zone!":lol

Waterworld- Never thought it was a bad movie at all. My parents loved it. I was confused when I found out it had such a bad reputation and did bad at the box office.

Bukaroo Banzai- I'm a Battletech fan. I can't help but love this show. The big name dudes and 80's goofiness are just icing on the cake.

Robot Jox
- See Battletech fan and Godzilla fan. What's not to like?

Legend- Essential fantasy right there even with all the fake snow.

Escape from LA
- I actually though it was better than EfNY. Don't hurt me.

Escape from LA- I actually though it was better than EfNY. Don't hurt me.

Heh! I thought I was the only one! :lol

I actually started a thread on it when I watched the two back to back last year.

That surfer scene and glider attack in EFLA still have to go though. :lol

Kevin

Future World
1951 war of the worlds
earth vs the flying saucers
Robot jox
resident evil: degeneration
logan's run.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back