Movies you hate that everyone else likes

I'm not sure I dislike it quite that much, but I do consider it one of the worst movies I've ever seen and can't understand why so many people hold it in such high regard. At one time I thought it was simply that I couldn't relate to it because a) I didn't grow up in the 1940s, b) I grew up in southern California, so I've never had to deal with snow, snowsuits, and such, c) I've never wanted to own a BB gun, and d) my dad wasn't a moron. But I have friends my age that also grew up here in southern California and they like the movie, so I don't know what the answer is.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that for years, TNT aired it on loop at Christmas time. So, people associated it with the holidays, and that adds a veneer of nostalgia to a film already intended to be nostalgic. The end result is people OMGLOVING the movie when what they probably love is how the movie rekindles the vibe of whatever they enjoy about Christmas. Like, Grandma's apple pie might not literally be the best apple pie you ever eat. Hell, it may not even be all that fantastic. But because you associate the smell of it baking and the taste of it with pleasant memories, OMG Grandma's pie was THE BEST.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that for years, TNT aired it on loop at Christmas time. So, people associated it with the holidays, and that adds a veneer of nostalgia to a film already intended to be nostalgic. The end result is people OMGLOVING the movie when what they probably love is how the movie rekindles the vibe of whatever they enjoy about Christmas. Like, Grandma's apple pie might not literally be the best apple pie you ever eat. Hell, it may not even be all that fantastic. But because you associate the smell of it baking and the taste of it with pleasant memories, OMG Grandma's pie was THE BEST.
That may be, but I've known a lot of people who went crazy for the movie long before the Christmastime marathons on television began, most of whom were shocked to learn of my severe dislike for it. So, I don't know. I don't particularly care for all of the B.S. associated with Christmas anyway, and could do without the holiday entirely, so that might have something to do with it.

A Christmas Story.

Actually, "hate" is the wrong word.

I utterly despise and loathe every aspect of this movie with the fury of 10,000 supernovae.

Imagine a movie. This movie is an action/horror/romantic comedy. It is produced by Michael Bay, directed by Uwe Boll, and written by a mentally deficient monkey throwing its own feces at a bulletin board containing plot points from the 100 worst movies of all time. It stars Shia Labeouf, Kristen Stewart, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Denise Richards, Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Nicholas Cage, all of whom are required by the role to do a high-class British accent.

I would rather have this hypothetical film beamed into my brain 24/7 for the rest of my LIFE, than sit through ten minutes of A Christmas Story.
+1
My dislike is pretty easy to sum up. Conceptually it could have been a fine movie, but in its writing and execution it's terribly contrived - as if were written by your average eighth grader in one sitting.

A Christmas Story is pretty much unknown in the UK. I used to see that leg-lamp all over ebay for years, and never had a clue what it was all about. Still haven't seen it.

I've been watching A Christmas Story since the 80's when it came out on video. I thought it looked stupid but everyone who had watched it loved it.

It's really closer to the Christmas's my father remembered, down to the BB gun he so badly wanted. Admittedly we never have snow here......

Of course, the movie is a series of skits, from short stories loosely tied together by the desire for his beloved Christmas present. It isn't presented from an adult point of view, only the scattershot memories of a young boy, so no, it doesn't have a real plot per say. Nor can you nail down the year, everything in the movie is from the forties and the fifties, it's about creating a generic atmosphere of childhood memories for a wide range of people.

It does bring back my childhood memories. The Christmas morning looks just like the ones I had with my brother. The clueless Father who purposely stays out of the loop on his children's lives is the person who makes sure Ralphie gets his desired gift. That was my Dad. Sooooo much of this movie mirrors my childhood, sans the weather.

You can hate the movie, I'm not here to say please go give it another chance. I see it's flaws, but I also see the love of childhood memories. (Even the bad ones). I had good memories myself and it brings them back. If anything, the marathons diminish the effect the movie has as we now have it shoved down our throat for twenty four hours and it seems whenever you change to that channel you see the same scene for the fifth time that day.

I love this movie, and I really only try to watch it once a year, and not in bits and pieces from the marathon.

I think the point to the marathon is so that people can kind of pick the time the want to watch it according to their holiday schedule. I've never heard of anyone who actually sits down and watches it for 24 hours. Hell, I wouldn't even do that with Star Wars.

My annual watching was about 8am this morning. That'll do me until next year.

I hate Lost in Space (1998).

Bad CGI. Waste of good talent. Ridiculous plot. The quest is to save the human race from overpopulation, pollution etc.. and the first thing they do after takeoff is to jettison lots of tiny pieces of space junk into random orbital trajectories -- which everyone who knows anything about space knows is a danger to everything and everyone in orbit.

Bad CGI. Waste of good talent. Ridiculous plot. The quest is to save the human race from overpopulation, pollution etc.. and the first thing they do after takeoff is to jettison lots of tiny pieces of space junk into random orbital trajectories -- which everyone who knows anything about space knows is a danger to everything and everyone in orbit.

Yeah, but I don't think anyone loves that movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted because I was reminded of the movie from a Lost in Space prop thread in Replica Props... so someone must like some part or aspect of it, apparently.

Bad CGI. Waste of good talent. Ridiculous plot...
Aside from the flaws you've mentioned, I think the thing that works against the movie most is the way they made the Robinson family so dysfunctional. They don't even like each other, so why should the audience like them and want them to survive and/or succeed?

The grinch theme plays wherever Zombie goes lol
That's actually one of the few Christmas songs I like...Thurl Ravenscroft's version from Chuck Jones' 1966 animated feature, that is, not the Jim Carrey version.

Spaceballs!
Spaceballs has slowly grown on me little by little over the years, so I don't dislike it as much as I did when I first saw it. But it's certainly disappointing compared to Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Spaceballs has slowly grown on me little by little over the years, so I don't dislike it as much as I did when I first saw it. But it's certainly disappointing compared to Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.
Ya gotta grade Mel Brooks on a curve. One just has to accept there will never be another early 70s Mel, just as there will never be an Indiana Jones film as good as the first.

That's actually one of the few Christmas songs I like...Thurl Ravenscroft's version from Chuck Jones' 1966 animated feature, that is, not the Jim Carrey version.

You should check out the Whirling Dervishes version.

As for Mel Brooks...I find that his style is one that heavily depends on my mood. And his later stuff just pales in comparison to his early stuff. It's too broad in a way that, for whatever reason, just doesn't work the way it did in the 70s. Men in Tights was GODAWFUL when I saw it in the theaters, and still is. It's just....not funny. It's trying too hard, the pace of the jokes is wrong, and he seems to have to lampshade every joke when the sight gag alone was enough to sell the joke.

I'd be hard-pressed to say I like ANY Mel Brooks film. When I was a teenager my mom swore up and down that he was the funniest man alive and that I would LOVE his movies, but everything I've tried so far has done nothing for me but prove how much I like other, funnier movies. I tried watching Blazing Saddles earlier this year and it felt like watching a newbie stand-up comic with a sweating problem.

Firefly/ Serenity.

All of my friends love the show and movie and said that I NEEDED to watch it. I watched every episode and the movie and didn't really enjoy any of it. It's just some scifi show with identity issues.

Ya gotta grade Mel Brooks on a curve. One just has to accept there will never be another early 70s Mel, just as there will never be an Indiana Jones film as good as the first.
...As for Mel Brooks...I find that his style is one that heavily depends on my mood. And his later stuff just pales in comparison to his early stuff. It's too broad in a way that, for whatever reason, just doesn't work the way it did in the 70s. Men in Tights was GODAWFUL when I saw it in the theaters, and still is. It's just....not funny. It's trying too hard, the pace of the jokes is wrong, and he seems to have to lampshade every joke when the sight gag alone was enough to sell the joke.
A good friend and I agree that Brooks needs co-writers who have a sense of humor that is different from his own. On Blazing Saddles one of the co-writers was Richard Pryor, who created the Mongo character and the line "Mongo only pawn in game of life," (and who, I'm sure, helped to make sure the racial humor was not only not malicious, but made the Caucasian characters look bad). And on Young Frankenstein, Gene Wilder was one of the co-writers; the argument between Wilder and Brooks about the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene has become legendary and, fortunately, forced Brooks to admit he was wrong. Brooks is a great idea man who can come up with good jokes and gags on his own, but much of the time he needs someone to "punch up" his material.

You should check out the Whirling Dervishes version...
After reading your recommendation, I found it on You Tube. Nicely done; the vocalist reminded me a little of Danny Elfman when he was with Oingo Boingo.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back