Movies you hate that everyone else likes

Terminator 2 -

I understand & respect most of the complaints. It was a less pure genre movie that T1, and in fact it basically damaged T1 retroactively.

But it's hard not to admire how thoroughly T2 tore down everything you think you know from T1. In T2 we find that the future is not set after all. Sarah Connor has become a terminator. John (*****) is a juvenile delinquent. And the Terminator has become John's best hope for a father.

T2 basically dismantled the entire setup of the T1 universe without being obvious & clumsy about it. T2 didn't SEEM to be on a mission to destroy the first movie at all. 20 years later people group T1 and T2 together as "the good ones" as if they were much more similar than they really are.

13yo John Connor / Eddie Furlong -

The typical viewer of T2 probably does not like spending 2 hours in extremely stressful situations with a random 13yo troublemaker in real life. Why do people expect onscreen kids to be so different?

Nobody is ever happy with kids in movies like this. Anakin Skywalker in Ep#1 comes to mind. The only way that kid characters/actors won't annoy half the audience is if they aren't portrayed realistically.

. . . and my overrated movie list:

Matrix #1 -
Not bad, just colosally overrated. Neither the SFX nor the premise seemed very fresh to me.

Transformers #1 -
They all sucked. It just took the audience until the second movie to get over the SFX and start noticing it. I defy anyone to re-watch the first one now and tell me it was really much better than the second.

Get Shorty -
I gave up after 3 or 4 times of starting this movie and turning it off. Boring.

Event Horizon
-
IMO it's a cheesy bad haunted house movie that gets excused because of the sci-fi setting.

LOTR / Hobbit
-
It pains me to call these movies bad. But I want some good Tolkien movies and these are so overlong that I can't watch them.

There are Star Wars nuts who would eat up any amount of movie length on those too. But we don't get 4hr long SW movies. I don't see why LOTR gets a total pass for this.

Peter Jackson makes great movies but he kills them with the run times. King Kong suffered the same fate. Everyone I know came out of that movie saying the same thing: "It was good but they needed to toss that giant spider battle and shorten the movie by at least 20 minutes."

Last edited:
Everyone I know came out of that movie saying the same thing: "It was good but they needed to toss that giant spider battle and shorten the movie by at least 20 minutes."

I felt that way about the dinosaur stampede. Friggin thing went on forever. Peter likes to leave every over the top scene in his movies whether they work or not.

I don't know that I can say "everyone" likes this movie, but I think it has enough of a following to qualify: Tim Burton's Mars Attacks! (1996). I saw it when it was released in 1996, and really didn't like it. Fast forward to this afternoon--I discovered it while channel surfing and decided to give it another try. Yep, still don't like it.

I don't know that I can say "everyone" likes this movie, but I think it has enough of a following to qualify: Tim Burton's Mars Attacks! (1996). I saw it when it was released in 1996, and really didn't like it. Fast forward to this afternoon--I discovered it while channel surfing and decided to give it another try. Yep, still don't like it.

Oh God me neither, I can't stand that movie.

I remember feeling pretty dissatisfied by it. It just felt kinda...meh.

Mars Attacks?

It felt kinda, "This P.O.S. was already a money-loser on paper before the first camera rolled and this budget could have funded 20 struggling amateurs with ideas so don't tell me the studios are only motivated by profit."

Event Horizon is basically just Hellraiser in Spaaaaaaaace. I mean, it's fun if you enjoy it in that respect, but otherwise, it's just a horror film. I dig the aesthetic of the ship design, though.

Oh, on an unrelated note, I too thought The Fifth Element was really friggin' annoying.

I really just never took to the look of it, never really liked Bruce Willis in the Corbin Dallas role, and I LOATHED the Chris Tucker character. GOD that guy was annoying. And not funny in the slightest.

I seriously don't get why people loved that film. I mean, yes, it looks very different from most other scifi we see, and I respect that aspect of it (even if it doesn't do anything for me aesthetically), but otherwise...I just don't get it.

And one more side note:

Do you find that you "hate" a movie more when it seems everyone around you loves it, or at least that it's SUPER popular? I think I tend to feel that way (or did).

Like, my dislike of the Bayformers franchise is very, very, very strong, but I think that's because they seem so bulletproof at the box office and they are just total trash, in my opinion. Like, it's not just that I dislike the films in their own right. I hate the films (well, the first one at least, which I've seen. I HATE that ****ing film, and never saw another one.). But I think I hate them EVEN MORE because soooooo many people seem to love them and that just...I dunno...it hurts my soul somehow. It makes me lose faith in humanity.

Do you find that you "hate" a movie more when it seems everyone around you loves it, or at least that it's SUPER popular? I think I tend to feel that way (or did).

Kind of off topic, kind of not. A few people I know always, ALWAYS, jam it down everyone's throat that their favorite Christmas movie is Die Hard and act as though it is such a unique, unexpected answer to the question "What is your fave Xmas movie?" that they have some sort of self-congratulatory, elitist attitude about it.....when in reality there are thousands of young men between 18-40 that have that same "unique, unexpected" answer as well because it makes them seem cooler or something.

.I don't consider Die Hard a Christmas, it's an action movie that was released in July, it just happens to take place at Christmas!

Because of this I have started to turn on the first Die Hard movie and it hurts me to think that.

Yeah, that's a separate thing, but I think it's related to what I'm talking about. It's similar, though, in that it's like the movie is being "appropriated" by people that you don't feel are "entitled" to "owning" the film.

For what it's worth, I think Die Hard 1 (and 2?) is an acceptable Christmas movie along the same lines as Lethal Weapon 1 (and 2?), in that it takes place at Christmas. It's not about Christmas, but the setting involves it. But that's beside the point. The obnoxious part is the self-congratulatory tone that folks adopt when claiming it. It's "posing," in a sense. It makes you question their purported love of the film. Is it about the film, or about the "bragging rights" they get to associate with selecting an "unexpected" choice for fav. Xmas film?

This is the same reason people hate Hipsters -- it's not because they like this or that. It's that their reason for liking it doesn't come across as genuine; instead, it seems to be all about the image they present by liking it.

I don't care if your favorite movie is Un Chien Andalou or Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins or Triumph des Willens or Manos: the Hands of Fate. But whatever you love, that love should be genuine and about the material itself, rather than about what loving the material says about you.

Yeah, that's a separate thing, but I think it's related to what I'm talking about. It's similar, though, in that it's like the movie is being "appropriated" by people that you don't feel are "entitled" to "owning" the film.

For what it's worth, I think Die Hard 1 (and 2?) is an acceptable Christmas movie along the same lines as Lethal Weapon 1 (and 2?), in that it takes place at Christmas. It's not about Christmas, but the setting involves it. But that's beside the point. The obnoxious part is the self-congratulatory tone that folks adopt when claiming it. It's "posing," in a sense. It makes you question their purported love of the film. Is it about the film, or about the "bragging rights" they get to associate with selecting an "unexpected" choice for fav. Xmas film?

This is the same reason people hate Hipsters -- it's not because they like this or that. It's that their reason for liking it doesn't come across as genuine; instead, it seems to be all about the image they present by liking it.

I don't care if your favorite movie is Un Chien Andalou or Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins or Triumph des Willens or Manos: the Hands of Fate. But whatever you love, that love should be genuine and about the material itself, rather than about what loving the material says about you.

It's teenagers wearing T-shirts of classic rock bands that they have never listened to.

...Do you find that you "hate" a movie more when it seems everyone around you loves it, or at least that it's SUPER popular?...
I wouldn't say it makes me hate a movie more, but I really hate it when someone smugly dismisses my opinion of a movie by saying something like, "You just don't like it because you don't get it." Right, because liking a crap movie makes you some sort of a frackin' genius. :rolleyes

Yeah, that's obnoxious, too. I mean, sometimes someone really doesn't get a movie, but other times they definitely do, and just...don't like it.

That's how I felt about Memento. I get it. It's backwards. Rah rah. I mean, interesting technique, but as a story, the film just...didn't do a ton for me. I didn't connect with the film emotionally (well, unless disinterest/boredom qualifies...).

I think there's a difference between respecting the technical aspects of art, or respecting what it means within a genre or whathaveyou, and just...not really diggin' it. Eric Clapton as a guitarist, for example. Incredibly talented, but his music just...leaves me flat. (I consider the solo in "Layla" to be more about Duane Allman's slide work.) Jack Whyte also does "interesting" things, but aesthetically they do almost nothing for me. I respect him as an artist, though.

Sometimes it's the same thing with film, and folks shouldn't just dismiss each other out of hand for liking it or disliking it.

That said, anyone who loves Transformers is a moron. ;)

(kidding, of course)

I wouldn't say it makes me hate a movie more, but I really hate it when someone smugly dismisses my opinion of a movie by saying something like, "You just don't like it because you don't get it." Right, because liking a crap movie makes you some sort of a frackin' genius. :rolleyes

Giant pet peeve of mine as well, especially when it comes from the artist/director/writer, etc.

I cannot place it, but I remember over the summer a director or screenwriter was giving an interview about a movie or show of their's that flopped and said something along the lines of "I just don't think anybody got it...." It's the lamest excuse for pumping out **** movie after **** movie. Nobody "got it" because it sucks.

Batman (1989)

As well as everything associated with Tim Burton. He's desecrated Willie Wonka and Sweeney Todd.
I'm particularly upset he was allowed to touch Sweeney Todd which is my favorite Sondheim work.
I'm sick of Burton turning everything into Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Giant pet peeve of mine as well, especially when it comes from the artist/director/writer, etc.

I cannot place it, but I remember over the summer a director or screenwriter was giving an interview about a movie or show of their's that flopped and said something along the lines of "I just don't think anybody got it...." It's the lamest excuse for pumping out **** movie after **** movie. Nobody "got it" because it sucks.

Oh, definitely. Maybe we didn't "get" it because YOU didn't WRITE it well. That said, sometimes a film is beyond the cultural zeitgeist when it's released, and is later embraced. That can happen, too. But plenty of times, it's just crappy work, and people "got" it fine. They just didn't like it.

Batman (1989)

As well as everything associated with Tim Burton. He's desecrated Willie Wonka and Sweeney Todd.
I'm particularly upset he was allowed to touch Sweeney Todd which is my favorite Sondheim work.
I'm sick of Burton turning everything into Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

I am OK with his Batman movies (I think because I love anything Michael Keaton does) but beyond that Burton's movies are just plain boring and weird for the sake of being weird.

There are plenty of movies that are considered "weird" or "different" that I consider awesome but Burton does it in a way that throws me off. Watched Dark Shadows and decided that was the last Burton movie I would watch, his work is just straight up drivel.

I am OK with his Batman movies (I think because I love anything Michael Keaton does) but beyond that Burton's movies are just plain boring and weird for the sake of being weird.

There are plenty of movies that are considered "weird" or "different" that I consider awesome but Burton does it in a way that throws me off. Watched Dark Shadows and decided that was the last Burton movie I would watch, his work is just straight up drivel.

Word....I can't think of ANYTHING Burton has ever done, other the first two Batman and the first Pee Wee movie, that I can sit through. Everything else is just plain awful.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back