M1 Garand / Thompson Scource?

I'm thinking of doing a bank robber such as John Dillinger.

But I'd like to be able to have both a Chicago typewriter and a WW2 style one. However I guess the foreward handle ones were issued in WW2? You might be able to clear that up for me. I didn't know any foreward handle Tommy guns were issued until recently, is that true?

I'm thinking of doing a bank robber such as John Dillinger.

But I'd like to be able to have both a Chicago typewriter and a WW2 style one. However I guess the foreward handle ones were issued in WW2? You might be able to clear that up for me. I didn't know any foreward handle Tommy guns were issued until recently, is that true?

Sounds exciting!

The M1/M1A1 were, of course, simplified and cheaper versions of the Thompson submachine gun. There were a few early lend-lease versions of the gun that were sent to Britain and the Soviet Union that included the older style foward pistol grips, but for all intent and purposes, the majority of U.S. wartime versions removed this option in favor of the easier and less expensive horizontal foregrip. (among other cost-cutting measures) Another easy way to distingish the war-produced versions is a lack of cooling fins on the barrel.

Personally, I have the M1A1 Cybergun for my collection. It's traditionally been available at most online airsoft retailers. It's a nice, full metal version if you ever decide you want to go the bit more expensive route.

Sooo, anyone knew of any new places offering something like this :

Pe-ct-thom7.jpg

1_b291443_2.jpg

2009_public_enemies_010.jpg

Missed out on 2 of them off of ebay today. :(

This from imfdb.org:

The guns used in the film were a mix of Colt M1921s (Some the same used in "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull") with 1928 internals, M1928A1s refinished to look like M1921s (by adding a polished blued finish) and there were some Thompson hybrids that were built out of various models.

If I had a genuine '21 version, I sure as hell wouldn't let Hollywood use it.... :confused
Rob

You were, in fact, correct Tt...they all were '28 models, of some type....:cool....the original Colt-made '21's are extremely rare, as only 15,000 were made, and they sell in upwards of 15,000 to 25,000 USD....:eek
Rob

Hey Rob, any idea on the lanyard attachment yet? I've been looking around for one/something like it, but I've not seen anything like it ever. LOL. I may have found a Thompson to buy, but it's near $300. That's just a bit more than what I want to pay for one. :( (Taking into consideration I don't currently have a job. :lol )

EDIT - Missed the 2nd page posts....lol.

No luck on that attachment here either, Jodo...I'm not even sure it's a period item; Michael Mann has been known to 'stretch' the boundaries of screen realism when he needs to....I'll let you know when and if I find something....

300 bucks for a Tommy? Is it a prop, electric airsoft, or a deactivated model?
Rob

Yeah, it's a reproduction prop, but the trigger puls, bolt works,etc. Only thing is though, there isn't any signage or numbers on it,etc.

I figured, or assumed after a while the lanyard attachment was a custom peice that was made up to conceal 'em for the movie...I even thought about camera attachements or the like that could of been modified to fit the weapons.

Denix does a Garand and a Thompson.

I have the Garand and it's quite nice. Few working parts though, but highly suitable as a visual replica.

IIRC they have two Thompsons, the classic Chicago typewriter and the WWII straight stock version though the cocking lever is mounted on top, so it's only good as a very rare early war model.

I was just checking those out, they do indeed look good. :D Infact, the above mentioned one I was looking at may be a Denix, I'm not for sure.

I found a one on ebay here a few days ago that came with 2 receivers and 2 magazine, a stick and a drum for about $350. I can't find it now though, but you could switch evrything out to have the foreward grip or not. If I was going to drop that much, I might as well save a little bit more and get that one. But I don't know if it metal/wood like the other one or not.

(I can't find it on ebay at the moment, lol.)

Dang, when did you buy your real one?

My dad used to own one, and he didn't pay near as much as I'd be paying for the replica one. He talked like we might go to the next gun show in St Louis to see what they offer,etc.

Jodo,
I paid about 700 bucks for mine, about 5 years ago, from Sarco, Inc. Here's a recent Shotgun News ad:

http://www.sarcoinc.com/2-10-10 7-13.pdf

The thing about Sarco is, you have to call the 800 number to ask what they have in stock...they don't advertise complete guns. I get a lot of my 'custom' parts from Sarco, too.

Be careful of gun shows: the prices are usually outrageous (a lot of guys try to get rich quick), and a lot of falsehoods fly from guys who don't know what they are selling....horror story: A buddy of mine bought a "Thompson" at a gun show for 400 bucks, which turned out to be a Volunteer Arms clone, which looks nothing like a real Thompson, once you compare the two...for a little more, he coulda got a Kahr Arms Thompson (like mine), who owns the Thompson trademark, and are the only company that makes new Thompsons today.

Here's a pic of one...you can see the differences in the receiver and trigger groups, and the bolt handle is on the wrong side...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/3211046445_18f9e79f4c.jpg

Keep in mind that the Feds require a 16" barrel on all firearms like this, unless you apply for the SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) permit stamp for 200 bucks, plus all the FBI paperwork (fingerprints, background checks, CLEO sign-offs, etc.), and having to buy the 10.5" barrel, to boot. I paid for all that because I wanted the WW2 "look"...it's a bit of a logistics hassle, but worth it (I think)....and the '28 Chicago Typewriter looks better with the 10.5" barrel, too.

Let me know if I can help with anything else, Jodo! :cool
Rob

Caplan, are you taunting me with those pic!?! :p ;) :lol

DANG, that sucks about your buddy. :( I'll have to check out Sarco here soon, I don't know if a real weapon would be the way to go or not. lol.

EDIT - I didn't know the short barrel permit cost $200. DANG. They've got you coming and going don't they?

ehh the $200 sticker on the stamp isn't the annoying part it's the 6month wait while they process your paperwork.

If it's any consolation, Russ....the wait is now only about 3 months, since they moved the ATF NFA Branch office to Martinsburg, West Virginia....:cool
Rob

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back