Custom Denix Thompson M1921/1928 with lots of real parts in a violin case!

JoakSteins

Just finished my Thompson M1921/1928 sub machine gun, based on a Denix copy with original walnut wood stock and pistolgrips, Cutts compensator, Lyman rear sight, fire control switch, safety switch and pivot spring
Chicago made vintage leather covered violin case modified for the Thompson with green velvet interior, dummy .45 ACP rounds and reproduction cartridge boxes
Featured in countless movies and tv shows including Public Enemies, The untouchables, Dick Tracy, Boardwalk Empire, The Godfather and the list goes on

Hope you guys like it!

VintageScene184921562.jpeg
VintageScene185082097.jpeg
VintageScene185237365.jpeg
VintageScene185296390.jpeg
VintageScene184875307.jpeg
VintageScene184894064.jpeg
VintageScene185277222.jpeg
VintageScene185098499.jpeg
VintageScene184719272.jpeg
VintageScene185192753.jpeg
VintageScene185014411.jpeg
VintageScene185155087.jpeg
VintageScene185174478.jpeg

Very nice! I just received my denix Thompson and plan on modifying it too.
There's a screw that I assume is what attaches the foregrip to the gun but it's not easily accessible with the second half of the barrel in the way. That screw looks like it's missing on your model, obviously you're using an original foregrip so your attachment method would be different and wouldn't require that screw I'm guessing. How were you able to get to that screw on top of the foregrip and what was that process like? were you able to take apart the barrel? I'm trying to get access to this screw so I can reinforce the foregrip.

Very nice! I just received my denix Thompson and plan on modifying it too.
There's a screw that I assume is what attaches the foregrip to the gun but it's not easily accessible with the second half of the barrel in the way. That screw looks like it's missing on your model, obviously you're using an original foregrip so your attachment method would be different and wouldn't require that screw I'm guessing. How were you able to get to that screw on top of the foregrip and what was that process like? were you able to take apart the barrel? I'm trying to get access to this screw so I can reinforce the foregrip.
Thank you very much! Yes that screw was a big problem, I tried to modify a screwdriver to reach it but I ended up just splitting the wood on the front grip and removing it that way but later I found out the barrel is made out of two pieces just pressed together so with some patience you should be able to just pull them apart
I might haves used a little bit of heat and some oil to ease the seperation as they fit together pretty tight, I got the bolt with the new grip and I had to drill and tap a new hole to fasten it after that
It’s only a zinc alloy but the threads are pretty strong

Thank you very much! Yes that screw was a big problem, I tried to modify a screwdriver to reach it but I ended up just splitting the wood on the front grip and removing it that way but later I found out the barrel is made out of two pieces just pressed together so with some patience you should be able to just pull them apart
I might haves used a little bit of heat and some oil to ease the seperation as they fit together pretty tight, I got the bolt with the new grip and I had to drill and tap a new hole to fasten it after that
It’s only a zinc alloy but the threads are pretty strong
Thanks for sharing! This helps a lot

Can you post any dimensions your Tommy gun and violin case? I have a real (modern Auto Ordinance) Thompson and have been playing with the idea of modifying a violin/viola case to carry it, but the dimensions don't seen to add up (ie, the Thompson seems like it would be too big...particularly too long...to fit in the case, even partially disassembled). I'd love to even know if this is a viable project of if I should just drop the ideal all together.

Thanks!

Can you post any dimensions your Tommy gun and violin case? I have a real (modern Auto Ordinance) Thompson and have been playing with the idea of modifying a violin/viola case to carry it, but the dimensions don't seen to add up (ie, the Thompson seems like it would be too big...particularly too long...to fit in the case, even partially disassembled). I'd love to even know if this is a viable project of if I should just drop the ideal all together.

Thanks!
Sure, the length is about 80cm and width is about 20cm
That is awesome, would love to have one myself too it’s possible in Norway even getting a fully automatic one for around $3000
I understand, there are a few different shapes of violin cases but mine was made in Chicago so I guess this model is easier to fin in the US
It’s really not difficult at all but measuring is important and I have been thinking about getting som buckles to strap the parts instead of just brass studs for a more secure mounting
No problem, glad to help!

Sure, the length is about 80cm and width is about 20cm
That is awesome, would love to have one myself too it’s possible in Norway even getting a fully automatic one for around $3000
I understand, there are a few different shapes of violin cases but mine was made in Chicago so I guess this model is easier to fin in the US
It’s really not difficult at all but measuring is important and I have been thinking about getting som buckles to strap the parts instead of just brass studs for a more secure mounting
No problem, glad to help!
Oooh...that's right at the dimensions for mine (80cm/31.5in length, 19cm/7.5in height at the rear grip, 15.25cm/6in at the front grip). Are those exterior or interior measurements? That would be TIGHT so I'm curious on how much play there would be. I'm also curious on any manufacturer marks on the case so I could try to match it up and find something similar...absolutely love the old look of yours and how it fits the use.

Great job with the wood and the overall metal finish.
I've also handled and shot both variants over the years (including one which was shot at Bonnie and Clyde in the ambush that turned both into colanders).
I also own two dummy display Tommy's from real parts kits, and yours looks great.

Oooh...that's right at the dimensions for mine (80cm/31.5in length, 19cm/7.5in height at the rear grip, 15.25cm/6in at the front grip). Are those exterior or interior measurements? That would be TIGHT so I'm curious on how much play there would be. I'm also curious on any manufacturer marks on the case so I could try to match it up and find something similar...absolutely love the old look of yours and how it fits the use.
I see so pretty close yours too then, yes those are the exterior measurements
My replica is pretty much spot on the original Thompson and if fits very well I must say
Here is a manufacture label and the case before converting it

Thanks again, really appriciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_4422.jpeg
    IMG_4422.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4421.jpeg
    IMG_4421.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back