Logan's Run ---- Life Clock

A photo I also just posted in another Life Crystal thread. It shows the crystals affixed to the palm under a latex prosthetic, which put the crystal at or below skin level. The prosthetic also hid the power wires. Sorry for the blur, but I was shooting my bluray on my TV screen with my phone. When I watch the film, it seems to me that the palm crystals glint like faceted crystals, not like the rounded-off copies of copies of copies we get off eBay. Also, another photo of a transparent 2" version I just printed at i.materialize.com. They offer clear and color-tinted transparent materials that aren't offered on Shapeways.com, and the transparent print was roughly the same price as a grainy opaque red one I had done at Shapeways last year.
Palm crystal prosthetic.jpgred crystal and hand.jpg

Last edited:
I also responded to your other post but I will show what I posted here. This is from the after retrogram shot.
Palm crystal prosthetic point 01.jpg

The other main thing I wanted to point out is that the crystal is not smooth on the edge, more like a gear from a clock.
Palm crystal prosthetic point 02.jpglogans-run(1976)_3038crop point 03.jpglogans-run(1976)_0889croppoint 04.jpglogans-run(1976)_2433 point 05.jpg

I'm wondering if the wires epoxinator points out could be the lines found in everyone's hand, I cupped my hand and made a similar line in my hand, Any thoughts from the rest of you?

A photo I also just posted in another Life Crystal thread. It shows the crystals affixed to the palm under a latex prosthetic, which put the crystal at or below skin level. The prosthetic also hid the power wires. Sorry for the blur, but I was shooting my bluray on my TV screen with my phone. When I watch the film, it seems to me that the palm crystals glint like faceted crystals, not like the rounded-off copies of copies of copies we get off eBay. Also, another photo of a transparent 2" version I just printed at i.materialize.com. They offer clear and color-tinted transparent materials that aren't offered on Shapeways.com, and the transparent print was roughly the same price as a grainy opaque red one I had done at Shapeways last year.
View attachment 583188View attachment 583192

http://www.rogermwilcox.com/LogansRun.html

This is the page where the green crystal can be seen. Scroll down to number 16. This says that (as far as he knows) this is a copy of the crystal that would be worn by the "Extras" in the movie instead of the main characters. This is what my weathered version is based on. This is the best lineage I can find to a close up of a crystal.

Considering the crystal he has shown is 40 years old it should be a bit worn, LOL. If you look at the images, it seems to me there could have been sharper edges on the crystal.
Yellow lifeclock on palm small.jpgYellow lifeclock at angle small.jpgYellow lifeclock closeup small.jpg

I doubt that the crystals would have worn down in the Logan's Run universe but who knows?

http://www.rogermwilcox.com/LogansRun.html

This is the page where the green crystal can be seen. Scroll down to number 16. This says that (as far as he knows) this is a copy of the crystal that would be worn by the "Extras" in the movie instead of the main characters. This is what my weathered version is based on. This is the best lineage I can find to a close up of a crystal.

Dude, you don't have to keep both threads going for the same topic...Good luck just the same.

-Rylo

NOTE: I've owned screen used lifeclocks. They all looked like the green one. In fact, most of the ones previously available on ebay were cast from originals. A bunch of my replicas are floating around out there, too. (Also cast from originals) Once you see one up close you can spot one a mile away.

That did have me confused awhile ago. I'm subscribed to this one. could we please let the other one die. or at least merge them or something.

I doubt that the crystals would have worn down in the Logan's Run universe but who knows?

(in the Logan's run world) I would think it would indeed be some kind of 3D printed acrylic with bio luminescence built in. The computer can't mine REAL crystal. So, the "crystal" would be installed at birth and slowly wear down by the time they have to die at age 30. (23?)

Damn it jintosh, there you go making sense again, knock it off will ya?;) Okay it's a valid point but that wouldn't explain the pattern in some of the photos as the Doc and Logan were approaching their end of life. Of course they were starring roles and would have had better crystals that the extras, but still.

(in the Logan's run world) I would think it would indeed be some kind of 3D printed acrylic with bio luminescence built in. The computer can't mine REAL crystal. So, the "crystal" would be installed at birth and slowly wear down by the time they have to die at age 30. (23?)

I presume they ARE supposed to be hard crystals, not acrylic. They do call them crystals. The whole city is pictured with crystals everywhere: in Carrousel, in the Retrogram chair, on the life clock control computers, in Arcade and in the Mazecar stations. Presumably the computer makes them somehow, as they are all the same shape though of different sizes. There are also buildings that look like they are made up of crystals (even though they look like the plastic that covers fluorescent light fixtures.)

Last edited:
You mean them I have a whole set they are around some where but I don't do pics sorry, when I put down my camera years ago that was it for me.

There are pics out there of them the Green one is a fair example of what they looked like

Do you still have it? A picture would be awesome, if yes.

Jintosh, I've done a comparison of the palm crystal you did and a 3D lifeclock someone posted online years ago. Very similar, but I do see some changes to the palm version. I wonder how they were originally constructed?

green crystal compare.jpg

And in this thread, I have called my own product a crystal on occasion. :)

And yes, if we were to say that it is a lab grown crystal that a computer could make, look at glass washed up on the beach. It's extremely smooth by nothing more than moving water and sand. After 30 years, even a crystal would HAVE to be worn down at least a little. It's on the hand, it's not like it's on the forehead or something that wouldn't get touched 100 times a day like hands.

Pristine isn't really realistic. Maybe somewhere in between. I believe you mentioned iMaterialise ? A smoother finish, instead of Shapeways "frosted" might give a more faceted appearance.

Last edited:
Jintosh, I've done a comparison of the palm crystal you did and a 3D lifeclock someone posted online years ago. Very similar, but I do see some changes to the palm version. I wonder how they were originally constructed?

View attachment 583642

Yes, the "in between" crystals are REALLY worn down in "extra's" crystals. Excessively so.

I'll be looking at that in my design.

Apollo, could you tell me if the concave section is like a shallow dome or more pointed. Also, did yours have any reflective backing to it? Thanks in advance for your time.

They were concave and not flat, time and aging had nothing to do with it.

I got my Production made set before the Movie even hit the Theater

More pointed and yes they had reflective backing on them

:facepalm Okay, I missed the post about them being originally concave and not the result of time. Concave mine will be then.

Pointed on the part that goes into your hand ? I might need a picture or diagram to get that.

Apollo said he doesn't post photos so I came up with this primitive little drawing;

dome examples.png
Apollo, which of these three closest represents the concave shape on the crystals?

:facepalm Okay, I missed the post about them being originally concave and not the result of time. Concave mine will be then.

Pointed on the part that goes into your hand ? I might need a picture or diagram to get that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back