Logan's Run ---- Life Clock

The ones I have seen usually come in a set of 5. Clear, yellow, green, red and black. I bought two sets in the 90's that had six, one being blue. That was a nod to one of the colors in the book.

Made another revision to the crystal. I had remembered Calico 1997's photo of the caliper measuring a crystal, in fact, I used those measurements for the final size. However, in looking at the photo again, I decided that the edges of my 3D model might be too steep. I scaled down the facet in the outermost petal facets so the sides have more of a slope. It's still the same height.

Attachments

• calico crystal measure 02.jpg
    calico crystal measure 02.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • LR crystal revised 01.jpg
    LR crystal revised 01.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 44
  • LR crystal revised 02.jpg
    LR crystal revised 02.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Just throwing out the idea, but consider glow in the dark UV powder.

I use the stuff in resin cast all the time.

Even in regular light, once it gets charged up, it glows. It looks much more brilliant/intense

More renders, this time with simulated reflective backing.

Attachments

• 5 in a row 1920.jpg
    5 in a row 1920.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 5 lifeclocks 1920X1080.jpg
    5 lifeclocks 1920X1080.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 52
Now real. A lifeclock positive and a 5X5 grid lifeclock negative mold. Printed through Shapeways.

A shot of a lifeclock in my palm, then with aluminum foil in pack. A shot of the mold, and the a couple more of the mold, and then with quick-and-dirty pressed-in sculpy copies.

Attachments

• lifeclock mold 5.jpg
    lifeclock mold 5.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 67
  • lifeclock mold 4.jpg
    lifeclock mold 4.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 66
  • lifeclock mold 3.jpg
    lifeclock mold 3.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 75
  • lifeclock mold 2.jpg
    lifeclock mold 2.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 70
  • lifeclock mold 1.jpg
    lifeclock mold 1.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Now real. A lifeclock positive and a 5X5 grid lifeclock negative mold. Printed through Shapeways.

A shot of a lifeclock in my palm, then with aluminum foil in pack. A shot of the mold, and the a couple more of the mold, and then with quick-and-dirty pressed-in sculpy copies.
Are you selling these or the ST file so I can print one

I finally discovered UV-hardening resin. I tried to do the 2-part casting resin in the mold I had 3D-printed. I added red pigment powder that I had on-hand, but it made the crystal I cast opaque. Plus the resin stuck to the mold badly, and I had to pry them out when they were still soft to remove them from the mold, and resin I didn't pull off is now hard and fast on the mold. I used vaseline as a release agent but it didn't work.

Then at the craft store I discovered UV-hardening resin. They only had clear. I did a test and it worked really well. Even as I was exposing it to the UV light as it hardened some of the facets started to pop free of the mold. The mold plastic is slightly pliable and I was able to bend it enough to pop the copies free enough to pry out with an exacto knife.

Something that might be an issue is the UV resin puts out a lot of heat as it hardens, which has made the 3D-printed material turn a bit white. I don't know how negatively that will affect the mold.

I'm hoping I can find the UV resin in colors.

Attachments

• lifecrystal.jpg
    lifecrystal.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 46
  • lifecrystal 2.jpg
    lifecrystal 2.jpg
    754.8 KB · Views: 56
  • lifecrystal 3.jpg
    lifecrystal 3.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 46
  • lifecrystal 4.jpg
    lifecrystal 4.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
5 colors. The colored ones have mirrored mylar on the back. Because I snapped a few in half pressing them into my palm I have given them a little more thickness. Turns out it also has a better look with the reflective backing than the thinner ones. Oh, and I've been using 2-part resin rather than UV-hardening resin. With the pigment, the UV light couldn't harden the entire thickness of the resin. Also, it's so viscous that I couldn't get the bubbles out after stirring in the pigments. The two-part resin, I will say, is a pain to get out all the bubbles, but I can't afford and don't have the right living area for a "pressure pot."

Attachments

• Five on palm.jpg
    Five on palm.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back