Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

JediG60racer

Sr Member
Got to see a sneak premiere of the movie. Here are my non-spoiler thoughts:

- Good pacing. Moved quickly enough to keep us engaged.
- Tasteful nods to the original movies, including musical cues and things both in foreground and background.
- World building without info dumping, rewards the attentive viewer. There's a lot in the background to discover.
- INCREDIBLE animation for the apes' eyes and facial expressions. BRAVO, whoever did this work. BRAVO!!
- Leaves you wanting more. Definitely needs a follow up movie.
- Intentionally vague on the timeline of most of the movie, definitely inspired the nerd in me to cue up some episodes of "Life After People" to figure out how much time has passed based on things shown in the movie.
- At least one major plot hole that is distracting to the intelligent viewer. Fortunately it doesn't figure in until near the end, so the movie's not ruined by it but still a wtf moment.
- At least one major plot payoff got left on the cutting room floor, as there were two scenes filmed to build up to it. Then... nothing. Left out. Probably saved them 6 seconds of screen time. Boo.
- Could probably be enjoyed on the small screen just as well as the big screen. Sound design does not require an incredible Atmos speaker system to enjoy. Not immersive sound like the Dune movies. Also while the detail in the visual design is excellent throughout, there are definitely some things that would probably look better on a TV than stretched across the big screen. The characters are all great.. it's just a few of the scenery shots that could have used more attention to detail to not look like they were out of a video game rendering engine.

Not as good as the previous trilogy, but a fun movie. I enjoyed it. My wife and I weren't 'wowed' by it when we saw it Thursday, so saw it Saturday again, with our daughter. Knowing the Human character's agenda in advance made the cues more noticeable, and was more satisfying on the second viewing. I recommend watching it, but not with extravagant hopes.

It was an entertaining film in an interesting setting after the last trilogy set everything up so well in a new and refreshing way.
It will be interesting to see where they go with the inevitable sequel to this newest entry into the franchise.

I liked it.

Read somewhere that the plan is a trilogy of trilogies, so I guess these three are leading up to The Lawgiver character, and the last three will be in the time of the original '68 Planet of the Apes movie, making it come full circle.

Got to see a sneak premiere of the movie. Here are my non-spoiler thoughts:

- Good pacing. Moved quickly enough to keep us engaged.
- Tasteful nods to the original movies, including musical cues and things both in foreground and background.
- World building without info dumping, rewards the attentive viewer. There's a lot in the background to discover.
- INCREDIBLE animation for the apes' eyes and facial expressions. BRAVO, whoever did this work. BRAVO!!
- Leaves you wanting more. Definitely needs a follow up movie.
- Intentionally vague on the timeline of most of the movie, definitely inspired the nerd in me to cue up some episodes of "Life After People" to figure out how much time has passed based on things shown in the movie.
- At least one major plot hole that is distracting to the intelligent viewer. Fortunately it doesn't figure in until near the end, so the movie's not ruined by it but still a wtf moment.
- At least one major plot payoff got left on the cutting room floor, as there were two scenes filmed to build up to it. Then... nothing. Left out. Probably saved them 6 seconds of screen time. Boo.
- Could probably be enjoyed on the small screen just as well as the big screen. Sound design does not require an incredible Atmos speaker system to enjoy. Not immersive sound like the Dune movies. Also while the detail in the visual design is excellent throughout, there are definitely some things that would probably look better on a TV than stretched across the big screen. The characters are all great.. it's just a few of the scenery shots that could have used more attention to detail to not look like they were out of a video game rendering engine.
Could you elaborate on your points now that it's out?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back