James Gunn and Peter Safran Are the New Co-CEOs of DC Studios

Solely for the sake of argument. I wasn't there I have no idea what happened, but from everything said above they were things he said and did not act on. So, the guy should never ever be able to work again because of it? That's the flip side here?

I have seen what's written above. And yeah, i can't conceive of a time where that's something that should be said in any circumstance, not even as a joke really. But it's also not something to permanently ostracize someone from everything for life either.

People have spent time in jail for far worse, gotten out, and been productive members of society. Some in the entertainment world. I don't see people refusing to watch stuff these people are in or make, etc.

I wonder about this specific deal for other reasons. I wonder if GotG is so good because it wasn't 100% him and there was a studio saying what you can/can't do and that Suicide Squad is more unfettered Gunn. If he's GotG good left to himself, then this good be really good. If SS is what he is on his own, this may not be so good. We shall see.

Here's the thing, Whether you're a trash collector or an acclaimed Hollywood director, NEVER make light about the exploitation of children. If you put caveats on that then I have nothing to say. If you have actually read the things that have been posted previously as you say you have and continue to make arguments to excuse them well that's on you.

Ive always been a DC fan primarily... I really felt giving Snyder Superman was a big big mistake. I think he doesn't understand the heart of the character. Moving towards an Injustice storyline is a path to ruining the character for the future. There's a reason evil superman stories are best kept non-canonical.
Gunn can not but be better. If you had to give Snyder a character he might not ruin Batman perhaps. Maybe.

I wonder about this specific deal for other reasons. I wonder if GotG is so good because it wasn't 100% him and there was a studio saying what you can/can't do and that Suicide Squad is more unfettered Gunn. If he's GotG good left to himself, then this good be really good. If SS is what he is on his own, this may not be so good. We shall see.
My worries exactly. Sometimes limitations create better art—in the case of Gunn, from what I’ve seen of his “limited” films (GotG) versus what I’ve seen where he’s unchecked (SS/Peacemaker), I greatly prefer him with someone to reign that in.

Here's the thing, Whether you're a trash collector or an acclaimed Hollywood director, NEVER make light about the exploitation of children. If you put caveats on that then I have nothing to say. If you have actually read the things that have been posted previously as you say you have and continue to make arguments to excuse them well that's on you.
Where did i excuse it?

I said he didn't act on it, but that it still isn't stuff that's OK to say.

I said I don't think it disqualifies him from ever holding a job again. Apparently, you disagree with that. So be it.

Yeah, this hire feels a lot like, "Hey, let's just bring in the guy who made those movies with 70's music that everyone loves."

I thought the first GotG was great. Second one was good. I didn't even bother with his Suicide Squad after watching the trailer. I would hope he isn't going to pattern all of his DC movies after those. I totally understand the concern of "unfettered" vs "reigned in". This is why I think ideally, it's better to have Alan Ladd types in charge rather than the "creatives".

DCs problem up until now has been executives in charge of a universe they don't know, understand or comprehend as a whole. The first Suicide Squad movie is the go to example. A director wasn't even allowed to film scheduled scenes as they were next up to film is one of those head scratcher decisions made by studio execs. When pick up days were alloted what could and couldn't be filmed was religated moment by moment. It was so bad secret out of pocket filming was done just to get some basic scenes tied together. The final edit is public knowledge. On the flip side you get a stand alone movie where a film is allowed to be made and everyone loses their mind over it, the Joker. Studio execs are notorious for being out of touch with "product" to the point sabotage takes place.
DC had been a terribly run and executed machine until it was literally run into its own execution. If the infighting is indeed done and new knowledgeable of the content people are allowed to run it at face value, this could be a Renaissance.

"Comedy is Democracy's barometer" Each eras (Historical contexts, if you want) come with their types of jokes.
What worked in these eras cannot work with today's audiences. It's a mirror of our society right now! I don't know Gunn, or his type of comedy writing or humor for that matter. That he made pedophile tainted jokes about sex with children is indeed, for some, highly disgusting; for others funny (again: context!).
Is there an artistic merit about this type of jokes?
Can we equate what Polanski did with what Gunn said?
Is it possible for anyone of us to grow-up and accept that we're not the same person anymore?
To push people's buttons is easy in comedy: remember the Trifecta: Sex, Religion, Politics. Works every time!
I'm a partisan of second chances (not third).;)

Off with his head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (y)

No second chances.(n)

Cuts down on repeat offenders big time.:unsure:

Okay that might be a little extreme,...or is it?

Funny story. Me and a couple members were really starting to get into it and it was just going on and on about this. I did something different.

I reported on my own post.

I asked the moderators to delete the stuff as it was serving no purpose. They did not get rid of all of it but a lot, and brought it back to a more civil discussion.

Personally I said my peace and so has everyone else.

I say it's time to move on. My half cent.

On that note of civility, Zack Snyder sucks!!:lol:

Hang in there with me.

300 awesome, however he was terrible with all three Superman movies.

It's like wanting George Lucas back. People's memories are so odd. Most people don't like the prequals. Most were excited when Disney got Lucasfilm feeling George had lost his touch. The fact that the Sequels sucked worse does not make the prequals better one way or the other.

I know there are prequal lovers and that's cool. Heck, there are sequel lovers. Cool as well. (seek help).

Anyway Man of Steel was divisive, to say the least. BVS was god awful. I think most agree. Justice League was a hot mess and remember when he was brought in to try and save it everyone loved Joss Weadon. He was given little to work with.

Then Snyder was given years to think and plan, 70 million more, lots of time to shoot and the result seems to be meh!

So why does everyone want him back??

New blood. Lets get back to the DC heroes we know and love.

Great that Cavill is back, bring Ben back. As hard as it is to believe he was the best Batman and Bruce Wayne. I will always love Keaton, and hope to see him again as Batman.

Give them good material and a new team.

Just my opinion which you all know is correct. :love: :lol:

c9f63494e19efbd94fb65fe03ee4216f.jpg

DC just needs a decent long term plan and stick to it.

Best if they got someone who knew the material and could win over old and new audiences.

Whedon became a leper after accusations of him being terrible. Even though he was everyone's go to for saving a failing show or movie.

Presentism - where today's standards are applied to past events. Keep using it, and no one with any chops will be able to make anything.

Snyder has his own style, just like Tim Burton did. It can get old, but turning a franchise over to someone who has no clue about it is far more lethal.

I'd love to see Gunn take DC and make it competitive with Marvel. For starters, get rid of the terrible muscle suits. Gunn may be hopping on board at the perfect time as well if Marvel is continue going woke.

Well, you are in luck!

For instance, in the new Black Adam, in a country whose name sounds like "Wakanda" without the "Wa" they have access to a rare element.

Nothing at all like anything Marvel!

And they have a wizard guy who can make energy shields and see into the future.

Another guy who shrinks and grows.

They even have a cool plane that looks like it takes off from a school for gifted kids!

I am soo happy they chose divergent pathways from Marvel.
This is nothing new. DC and Marvel have been copying each other for the longest time, well before their respective movies started to become a big thing. To name a few you have Flash & Quicksilver, Aquaman & Namor, Thanos & Darkseid, and I think that Marvel even has their own answer to Batman but who is not nearly as well known.

This is nothing new. DC and Marvel have been copying each other for the longest time, well before their respective movies started to become a big thing. To name a few you have Flash & Quicksilver, Aquaman & Namor, Thanos & Darkseid, and I think that Marvel even has their own answer to Batman but who is not nearly as well known.

Oh, that is the point of the post.

I still can't believe Marvel is steering away from Atlantis because of Aquaman.

But more important:

Dr Fate Box Office $0

Dr. Strange

Box office​

• Budget
    • $165,000,000 (estimated)
  • Gross US & Canada
    • $232,641,920
  • Opening weekend US & Canada
    • $85,058,311
    • Nov 6, 2016
  • Gross worldwide
    • $677,796,076

Dr Strange 2

• Box office​

• Budget
        • $200,000,000 (estimated)
      • Gross US & Canada
        • $411,331,607
        • $187,420,998
        • May 8, 2022
      • Gross worldwide
        • $955,152,198
          *******************************************************************************************************************************
          Atom Smasher Box Office $0

Ant-Man
        • Box office​

• Budget
            • $130,000,000 (estimated)
          • Gross US & Canada
            • $180,202,163
            • $57,225,526
            • Jul 19, 2015
          • Gross worldwide
            • $519,311,965

Ant-Man 2

• Box office​

• Budget
                • $162,000,000 (estimated)
              • Gross US & Canada
                • $216,648,740
                • $75,812,205
                • Jul 8, 2018
              • Gross worldwide
                • $622,674,139

If I could head a DC movie…

They are reallllly missing out on THEIR “into the spiderverse” movie.

DC animated does do some great stories, but they never go full “feature budget” on them.

Put some real money in a Batman movie. We can’t finally get that look we’ve never had in the cinema - a Batman who isn’t wearing iron man armor. (I know the animated series had features… but those were still cheap)

Just throw money at a production. Go for best picture… Batman SHOULD be animated anyway. Really have fun with the art style from the comics (especially detective in the 90’s)

Just harsh angles and shadows. Cloth ninja style costume, not plastic muscles.

Serious content.. can even pull off a proper Robin.

This post brought to you by afternoon margaritas while watching spiderverse.

DC animated does do some great stories, but they never go full “feature budget” on them.

Put some real money in a Batman movie. We can’t finally get that look we’ve never had in the cinema - a Batman who isn’t wearing iron man armor. (I know the animated series had features… but those were still cheap)

Just throw money at a production. Go for best picture… Batman SHOULD be animated anyway. Really have fun with the art style from the comics (especially detective in the 90’s)

Spiderverse is the best comic movie yet. It's damn near perfect.

If they film a Batman movie in the style of "Sin City", count me in...if not:rolleyes:

Zack Snyder is a great visualist but not the strongest writer.
James Gunn is a polished storyteller who writes good characters.

Here's an idea.
Maybe Zack Snyder should direct films written by James Gunn.

DotD 02.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back