Iron Man 3

For those who seen the movie, I'm curious if a certain scene made it in the film. I was an extra during the beach bar filming where Tony Stumbles out and has some exchange with Rhodey, then takes off. Did that make it in?

It's in there.

Alex. I'm not trying to call you a liar. But could you please post the source where Shane Black specifically stated the sole reason for him not casting an Asian director is because of racial terrorist stereotypes? I assure you this wasn't the case, even if Mr Black said it himself. When you actually see the film you will understand...

It's in there.

Alex. I'm not trying to call you a liar. But could you please post the source where Shane Black specifically stated the sole reason for him not casting an Asian director is because of racial terrorist stereotypes? I assure you this wasn't the case, even if Mr Black said it himself. When you actually see the film you will understand...

No problem.

The first interview I saw that addressed this had Feige commenting that “What we don’t want is this potentially racist, stereotype of a Fu Manchu villain".

Considering they have kept the overt cultural tones with the character's wardrobe and design, having him NOT a Chinese character is just silly. He wasn't talking about terrorist stereotypes but specifically Chinese stereotypes. My issue was that they kept everything about this character intact APART FROM his race.

I'm not angry but perplexed by the thinking behind this decision.

so how was the movie guys? No spoilers and political stuff please

I loved it. But go in there not expecting anything. Cos it won't be what you imagined...

No problem.

The first interview I saw that addressed this had Feige commenting that “What we don’t want is this potentially racist, stereotype of a Fu Manchu villain".

Considering they have kept the overt cultural tones with the character's wardrobe and design, having him NOT a Chinese character is just silly. He wasn't talking about terrorist stereotypes but specifically Chinese stereotypes. My issue was that they kept everything about this character intact APART FROM his race.

I'm not angry but perplexed by the thinking behind this decision.

Whilst I see your point. He says potentially racist. and then goes on to stereotype. You say the race is the only element they have changed. I tell you now this is not true. You will see. Like I've said before I wont ruin it. But from seeing what you have quoted and the film. I still don't see a concrete admission of the sole purpose of not picking an Asian character. To me its more like 'Were not going to just solely consider Asians. but will consider others for the job, not just stereotype'. I can't think of anyone who would have played it better. No Asian actor I know of springs to my mind. Still, I hope you enjoy the film.

Also to point out that you said it was the Director that said it. Kevin is not the movie Director. Not that it changes anything

I loved it. But go in there not expecting anything. Cos it won't be what you imagined...

Whilst I see your point. He says potentially racist. and then goes on to stereotype. You say the race is the only element they have changed. I tell you now this is not true. You will see. Like I've said before I wont ruin it. But from seeing what you have quoted and the film. I still don't see a concrete admission of the sole purpose of not picking an Asian character. To me its more like 'Were not going to just solely consider Asians. but will consider others for the job, not just stereotype'. I can't think of anyone who would have played it better. No Asian actor I know of springs to my mind. Still, I hope you enjoy the film.

Also to point out that you said it was the Director that said it. Kevin is not the movie Director. Not that it changes anything

I understand where you're coming from. Most of my ire comes from the "stereotype" of having a white actor in "yellow face". Not the same thing here, but a very similar example. I'm really looking forward to Kinglsey's interpretation of the role. I think he'll be fantastic in the role. But I would still like to have seen them be true to the character not only in characterisation
but also in the established background of the character.

But, yes. Kingsley will own the role. :)

I understand where you're coming from. Most of my ire comes from the "stereotype" of having a white actor in "yellow face". Not the same thing here, but a very similar example. I'm really looking forward to Kinglsey's interpretation of the role. I think he'll be fantastic in the role. But I would still like to have seen them be true to the character not only in characterisation
but also in the established background of the character.

But, yes. Kingsley will own the role. :)
This is going to be so funny when you get around to seeing the movie.

I think the biggest point that hasn't been made yet is parts of the film were shot in China. China has very strict policies in place about allowing productions to film there, and how many non Chinese movies they allow to be shown at the box office. If an American movie features a Chinese villain, they aren't going to be allowed to film there, and it certainly won't be shown there, which would significantly cut down on international box office returns.

China has the 5th largest box office numbers outside of the US and only release about 20 "outside" films a year. Nobody wants to tick them off. Maybe Hollywood is trying to get back some of the money we already owe them. :)

Marvel had to go back and shoot scenes with Chinese actors for "China release only", just to be able to release it in China box offices, correct?

And also I believe I read once that the director stated that the mandarin wasn't going to be Chinese, but a man that is well versed in the Chinese culture.....

Sent from my HTC One X

If you build iron man stuff like I do, don't go watch the movie.
And when you'll go and you'll see the scene I'm thinking about while writing this, you will remember my words:

I TOLD YOU!

:D

I am about as devastated as I could get.

for everybody else, it's a nice movie, nothing more, nothing less ;)

This post does not condone nor condemn the opinions of anyone about the topic. Just an article I remember reading:

Movie Pictures | Movie Posters - Yahoo! Movies

Thanks. This was what I was after. In all honesty I can't see anything incriminating about purposely not picking an Asian actor. Basically the author of the article mentions the possibility of racial stereotyping. And decides to go to Black about the issue. Black says racial background doesn't necessarily become a worry as the Mandarin has crafted himself as such based on the art of war. Regardless of his personal beliefs etc. Meaning that stereotyping doesn't really have to be worried about. He never said it was a basis for not picking an Asian actor. Just replies to the Journalist who brought up the idea. Its not Black that brings it up. Even though he sees the point made. The main discussion was about an Asian actor getting screwed over because of fear of stereotypes. I have seen no evidence of this at all.

Thanks for the Link

J

Marvel had to go back and shoot scenes with Chinese actors for "China release only", just to be able to release it in China box offices, correct?
It will be interesting to see exactly how the Chinese release version differs and what they added for them, but all in due time I guess.
I don't think this is a spoiler, so read on at your own peril, but there is a scene at the beginning that introduces an asian character, never to return again throughout the film. I haven't read an Iron Man comic since I was a teenager so I don't know what significance the character has if at all, but it's clearly there setting up something for the chinese version. *shrugs*

It's an odd film. It's kinda jarring though. It zags when you think it's gonna zig and it's frenetic at times. The suits at the end don't get nearly enough screen time as I would have liked, but you get that.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back