Imperial Probe Droid studio scale model help

darthbooth1978

Hi all.

After building a few off the shelf kits my confidence is up to getting started on something a bit more challenging and studio accurate.
Have been wanting to build a probe droid for a while now but as its my first studio scale I literally have no idea where to start.

Any help with kit parts, painting, sourcing stuff and reference info would be a great help and hopefully helpful to others too.

The body and head shells were custom vacuformed parts, if I'm understanding your question.
Yes you understood my question :). Thanks very much for confirming this. I literally had no idea if it was something they converted or something they created fresh.

It can be a bit daunting getting into this hobby for a beginner as you don’t want to sound silly asking certain questions but obviously if you don’t know it’s better to ask.

I've been gearing up for a probe droid build as well, but I have a question about the Airfix Saturn V kit.
I'm told the old tooling is what is needed, but I need to know how to identify the old vs new tooling.
What is the difference? What changed? and how old is "old"?

Last edited:
I've been gearing up for a probe droid build as well, but I have a question about the Airfix Saturn V kit.
I'm told the old tooling is what is needed, but I need to know how to identify the old vs new tooling.
Looking forward to your build, hopefully you will share the ride and give inspiration to myself and others :)

Does anybody make the head and body shells here on the forum? I think this is where I’m gonna struggle before I’ve even bolted.

Check here. Timeline for Apollo Saturn V, Airfix 09170 (2000) - Timeline
You want the ones pre 1978 version. I believe the white box will also work. You can get some of the earlier Smithsonian versions too.

I haven’t studied the parts map but it wouldn’t surprise me if they did. There were a lot of go to kits in the ILM stash. I know that there’s was overlap for me going from the probe pod to the TIE bomber.

Looking forward to your build, hopefully you will share the ride and give inspiration to myself and others :)

Does anybody make the head and body shells here on the forum? I think this is where I’m gonna struggle before I’ve even bolted.
I am working on some body and head shells for the Probe Droid, but it is taking a while. The patterns are made, but untested, and Adam just got his vacuformer out of storage so we haven't had a chance to pull a set of shells yet. Hopefully I'll have an update in the next week or two.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back