I think my Stargate chevron is being recast...

* Oh my... what's happening here ?

Hello,
I'm the one that recasted the chevron. Please read what I have to say carefully before ban or burn me and please let me explain.
I hope you'll understand. Otherwise... ban me and say to every-one that I'm the worst amateur prop maker ever, so I'll never try to do anything again.
chinese.gif

I'm on this project since now something like two years. The idea was to rebuild a full scale Stargate replica with all the ones that was interested in it. WE DIDN'T INTENDED TO SELL ANYTHING but wanted to use it in fanseries / fanmovies (once more free) or in LARP or just to show it in conventions. Naturally, we wouldn't have used it for these purpose before being sure that it wouldn't harm anyone.

The first things I have done was to get all the possible sources, pictures of the gate for the most part, and all what I needed to do it from scratch. Normally I am now able to describe it under any angle and I planned all what I needed to do it.

But I next had the opportunity to buy an original Backpanel from the gate just when I was ready to begin my work so I decided to use this piece like a base to do all the other ones. For me it was great to have an original piece to begin with because it couldn't be more accurate. Maybe this is the first thing you'll not be ok with, but it's nothing more than an idea. Now if you think that making replica for this project from the original Backpanel I own is a bad idea, so it's ok, we'll do it otherwise.

I know that's the sort of thing I wouldn't attempted to do if I had presented this project here on the RPF but I was frightened that I couldn't make any mistake in any case without being molested by the community.

We were now waiting for the shipping of the Backpanel and a friend told me that someone was selling a chevron made from an original one. I purchased it and once more, planned to do it from scratch with all the measurements, I even bought the material I needed to do it.

The community was growing up and I had to present my work and my project to the french Comic Con in Paris one week later (from the 5 to the 8 of July). I had some trouble with my replica and some prop maker told me just to make a cast from it and to fix it later. THERE IS MY FAULT, I haven't been alarmed by what he said and told me that if there were anything wrong with it I could just avoid to use it. But I didn't think to contact the seller and I'm sorry for that.

Here we are. I returned home yesterday at 02:00 in the morning and saw the comment of coolbutpointles that had been posted one week ago (I had no internet in Paris). I was feeling bad. So after a well merited sleep I wanted to answer him, saying that I would be happy to accede to his request. I have seen that he had posted on the RPF that I was a recaster and that I didn't want to do what he requested.

It's been now something like 24 hours that I answered him and no one noticed it but you're continuing to argue that I'm a monster to do such things...

I'm not planning to do anything with my cast. For me it's nothing more than a failed exercise (because the cast failed, not because of this argument). I'm now returning doing it from scratch and I hope we can speak of it to avoid this project to become something wrong.

Could we please just start from the fact that if someone tells me “Don't do that, it's bad.” I'll immediately say “ok, so let's do it otherwise.” once I will be aware of it ?
Have I the right to fail if there is no consequences, like here ? If I can go back ? Or will I just have to be molested by all of you ?

Hi Sendell!

I apologize for having not noticed your response on the blog itself sooner! I have just posted a response over there for you, but suffices to say, so long as copies of the chevron I sold you aren't used then I have no problem at all. We'll chalk it up to novice/unaware prop making as far as I'm concerned. I only brought it up here in case things turned sour which, it seems, will not be the case after all is said and done.

I want to state here, again, that I think your project is really neat and that I have been working on a similar project here in my apartment which is slowly becoming insanely full so I absolutely understand the difficulty of the undertaking!

It is important you understand that I am not connected in any way to the board's owners / admin. I speak for myself. My thinking in these matters, however, represents what the core members of this board feel.

But your avatar/name area has so many shiny things! :lol

Kidding aside, gotcha. It was something I had always observed on most prop boards(with the exception of one specific one which abides entirely by the "Original artist consent in all cases").

I have seen that he had posted on the RPF that I was a recaster and that I didn't want to do what he requested.

I would also like to point out that, as far as my re-reading of this entire thread, I did not say one way or the other that you were or weren't going to be open to my request. All I said was that I had not heard back yet.

I want to state here, again, that I think your project is really neat and that I have been working on a similar project here in my apartment which is slowly becoming insanely full so I absolutely understand the difficulty of the undertaking!

Well, if that is true, you can still help another propbuilder by giving him your OK to use the mold for creating the needed chevrons (maybe with a few replacements in case of damage on a convention). Without allowing him to sell any of them.

And then having him sending the destroyed mold to you, as a proof that no additional are made.

Maybe that would serve both parties?

So, all is ok. I thank you all to understand the whole thing and for your answers. ^^'

He may, however, wish to note my 'laughing' emoticon after that statement, or get some lessons in having a sense of humour. Or at least, my sense of humour. And if he still doesn't get it, he can frack a duck for all I care.

Alan, I did understand, I was myself ironical using your own words. ;)

Anyway, I hope this project is interesting for you all and if it's the case I'll give you some news in some weeks. :)

I think this topic should be canceled but not deleted.

why?
because it is an original prop?

is it not still somebody else's work??????????

We'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

We really need to have the Mods be able to flag people with a warning that they are supportive of recasters so any time we get contacted by them in the Junkyard we know not to sell to them.

Or just ban them.

So, all is ok. I thank you all to understand the whole thing and for your answers. ^^'

Alan, I did understand, I was myself ironical using your own words. ;)

Anyway, I hope this project is interesting for you all and if it's the case I'll give you some news in some weeks. :)

I think this topic should be canceled but not deleted.

My friend, you are going to be a great member here :lol (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Cast anything without coolbutpointles' consent, and I'll rip you a new one though :darnkids

Kidding ! :lol

We really need to have the Mods be able to flag people with a warning that they are supportive of recasters so any time we get contacted by them in the Junkyard we know not to sell to them.

Or just ban them.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, Kerr, but are you implying that I'm supportive of recasters?
If this is the case, then let me assure you that I most definitely am not!
I myself wanted to cast something (no longer produced) a while back. I asked for the creators permission, got a 'no', left it at that.
It is my opinion (and only mine, as a large number of people feel differently) that if you did not create the item, and don't have the creators permission to make copies, then don't. Screen used/production made or not.

Sorry if I'm reading this wrong, Kerr, but are you implying that I'm supportive of recasters?
If this is the case, then let me assure you that I most definitely am not!
I myself wanted to cast something (no longer produced) a while back. I asked for the creators permission, got a 'no', left it at that.
It is my opinion (and only mine, as a large number of people feel differently) that if you did not create the item, and don't have the creators permission to make copies, then don't. Screen used/production made or not.

Mark, I really like you :) (Seriously).

But, if you don't want to wear a patch, hook, peg-leg and parrot (which is perfectly fine with the rest of us if you don't), don't on the other hand walk into a lion's den covered in blood, shake a red flag at a bull or stick your head in a gator's jaws.

...... OK, that came out really, really badly :lol, but you get the point ;)

I think I've come up with an idea to diffuse the situation. I've posted on his blog, once its passed moderation you may go ahead and read it and let me know if you agree or disagree.

Brandon

If he recast a piece that came from a mold you made. Production linked or not he will be banned.. Provide enough information to the moderators and let them do their thing. I promise it will happen.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back