I think my Stargate chevron is being recast...

Thanks to keep cool and informed you before crying at wolf.
Problem is that you don't seem to get is that he ISN'T crying wolf. He's stating FACTS regarding what you guys are doing. You recast his piece for your own gain - be it financial or to complete your project. So coming here with an attitude, when he is in fact right in his claim that you recast him is pretty weak attempt of trying to justify what you are doing.

Plain and simple: you recast a members work, which is a bannable offense here!!! :thumbsdown

For Posterity.

Hey ! the "Oh Damn Recaster" is one of my friends, and Yes he is going to HO DAMN recast this prop replica !

But for what purpose ? We're going to make a real size stargate replica for conventions & shows display ! yeah the SGC Stargate is going to be replicated from original parts (like a re-cast replica) or also the original backpanel that he owns !

But You may all know it's a really, really big invest and the size of the backpanel mold is almost indescent ! as we will need around 200lbs of sil and ... an incredible amount of Resin & Fiber mesh to cast one full Stargate.

We're not making money on theses recast (as their only purpose is to be part of the whole replica) but we accept donations for the project, and we will proudly share our experience on making a such hole big amazing replica !!!

And as a beginner or not, I think we all (or almost) started props making by recasting some props (originals ou replicas) we own, for test purpose, or experiencing on silicone, how to make the best molds, we all need to learn and the way human does is by replicating & improving, so are we all.

One for all, all for one !

French Fan Community in the rescue !

Notice for the irritated, thank you to reading and inquiring the project before criticizing. Yes it's a recast, does it intended for the resale : no.
The project aims at recreating a Stargate, on no account at selling whatever. There is no problems to duplicate a part for a private use.

What a bunch of crap. If you need ten or twenty, buy ten or twenty, or make it yourself. None of this recasting BS. You're not saving money, you're stealing.

Anyone else want to jump to their defense and support recasting? Please, speak now so I know who the **** to shun.

Wow!! The balls and arrogance!! Some recasters just think their s**t don't stink :lol
Like their reasons for recasting is justified.

Wow!! The balls and arrogance!! Some recasters just think their s**t don't stink :lol
Like their reasons for recasting is justified.

absolutely.
Both the OP and the guy that he's calling out are as bad as each other.

It was somebody else's work which was recast by both parties without permission from the creator. End of story

coolbutpointles said "I made a mold and made a couple copies for myself"

So why didn't you take the dimensions of the whole prop and made yours from scratch ? 'cause youre mold became an "hero prop mold" yeah or also because "it's faster and much eaiser"

Now you said you casted two of them, and for "money" you selled one of them, why didn't buy another "hero, not-screen used props ?" maybe the production got only one in stock, maybe they won't recast one only for your pleasure ... many, many, many reasons.

Now a friend "re-mold" one of YOUR casts, but hey why didn't he tooks the dimensions and make it from scratch, if think ... for the same reasons as you did the original mold.

One week ago, you've seen a props you sold being replicated, I'm ok with the facts that they was no mention of your name, or quote to you, ok be fair and ask the guy, we're not monster.

Finally, they will not make money with this replica, why are you so angry ? have they mentionned that they're going to sell replicas ? no !

Please be gentle, we are fairplay and we are not going to make money, we just want to cast our amazing screen-used stargate, and what a best, as if all the molds were made with original hero props (or cast/molds from heros)

Yeah this rocks !!!

We are 7 Billions people on earth, and you are here with a headless topic for 18 chevrons (a whole stargate ...), God bless Stargate, God bless Iron Man.

absolutely.
Both the OP and the guy that he's calling out are as bad as each other.

It was somebody else's work which was recast by both parties without permission from the creator. End of story

The OP is following the honour amongst thieves code for the casting of original props.

The person who recast that cast without the OP's consent is in the wrong.

You really must accept these matters as given facts. Albeit you obviously do have a point about the original piece, that holds no water here I'm afraid.

The OP is following the honour amongst thieves code for the casting of original props. You really must accept that as a given fact.

why?
because it is an original prop?

is it not still somebody else's work??????????

We'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Last edited:
coolbutpointles said "I made a mold and made a couple copies for myself"

So why didn't you take the dimensions of the whole prop and made yours from scratch ? 'cause youre mold became an "hero prop mold" yeah or also because "it's faster and much eaiser"

Now you said you casted two of them, and for "money" you selled one of them, why didn't buy another "hero, not-screen used props ?" maybe the production got only one in stock, maybe they won't recast one only for your pleasure ... many, many, many reasons.

Now a friend "re-mold" one of YOUR casts, but hey why didn't he tooks the dimensions and make it from scratch, if think ... for the same reasons as you did the original mold.

One week ago, you've seen a props you sold being replicated, I'm ok with the facts that they was no mention of your name, or quote to you, ok be fair and ask the guy, we're not monster.

Finally, they will not make money with this replica, why are you so angry ? have they mentionned that they're going to sell replicas ? no !

Please be gentle, we are fairplay and we are not going to make money, we just want to cast our amazing screen-used stargate, and what a best, as if all the molds were made with original hero props (or cast/molds from heros)

Yeah this rocks !!!

We are 7 Billions people on earth, and you are here with a headless topic for 18 chevrons (a whole stargate ...), God bless Stargate, God bless Iron Man.

As I stated in my original post, I posted a, in my opinion, polite comment on the blog asking that they stop with the recast process.

The main difference between what I did as far as casting something VS what he has done is that I paid a high dollar amount for the original prop from the studio. Again, as I said in my comments here and on their blog, it is my understanding that this is generally considered OK.

However, as Nobby continues to point out and as I have seen on other sites, this is a contested point and not everyone agrees.

Also, the main reason I didn't modify my original prop by painting it was not for the sake of quickness or anything of the sort- it was in the interest of not modifying the original in any way from how it was sold to preserve the original value on the off chance I decide to try and sell it. I wouldn't take paint to an expensive painting to touch it up/fill in that spot the artist didn't bother to finish on the original canvas. Why would anyone do the same with a prop?

Could I have scratch built a replica? Yes. Did I? No. Do I own an original? Yes. Is it ok to cast copies if you own the original? That's of debate amongst groups. However, what is almost universally accepted(from my observation, anyway), is that casting copies of copies without permission to do so is definitely not good. So, regardless of if you side with me being in the wrong or not in my original cast, the end result is the same.

Furthermore, seeing as how I sold them a copy, they had my contact information and could have asked that I supply additional copies to them.

At no point have I said the guy is a horrible person or any such thing, in fact, if you look back, I thought the project was neat. I didn't demand anything, I simply stated here that he is a potential recaster(seeing as how he is recasting) and I stated on the blog that I would like to politely request that they not continue with the mold.

Last edited:
Does your attitude extend to all props you purchase? If you buy one item from me, but you need five more, you're good to recast as long as you don't sell?

In a general frame, somehow .... it´s a different thing to copy something bought from the artist - or something that someone already copied from the artist made thing (which is already a recast).

The "i have a screenused item, so i can make copies" is a shaky thing - someone buying a screenused piece, making copies to regain his money and maybe even making profit is not so much better than pure recasting. Sooner or later many of the screenused items were resold, and latest then the person has got his expense back AND the profit. And the original artist got nothing - just cause he didn´t sold it directly. Is THAT fair?

For a project like this, where the questioned part is only a small piece ..... a copied chevron from a bought cast from a screenused is not very different than a copied piston (as example, fill with any other greeblie) from a cast modelkit piece. There is also no right to resell cast modelkit pieces from any company, not even if the part is rare and no longer produced. If you own the original, you can make copies, as long it´s only for your own use, too - but there are dozens of accepted for sale threads of that in the Junkyard, and noone cries, cause it´s comfortable.

Coolbutpointless, you are 200% correct in what you say. Contested elsewhere or whatever is irrelevant. Here, it's cool and all who think otherwise are not within this board's frame of mind. Simple as that.

Guys, this thread is going to become yet another 'recasting' arguments one. It should be locked and if desired, more info obtained through infinite similar threads through the search function.

What a ***!!!

One for all, all for one !

French Fan Community in the rescue !

Notice for the irritated, thank you to reading and inquiring the project before criticizing. Yes it's a recast, does it intended for the resale : no.
The project aims at recreating a Stargate, on no account at selling whatever. There is no problems to duplicate a part for a private use.

* Oh my... what's happening here ?

Hello,
I'm the one that recasted the chevron. Please read what I have to say carefully before ban or burn me and please let me explain.
I hope you'll understand. Otherwise... ban me and say to every-one that I'm the worst amateur prop maker ever, so I'll never try to do anything again.
chinese.gif

I'm on this project since now something like two years. The idea was to rebuild a full scale Stargate replica with all the ones that was interested in it. WE DIDN'T INTENDED TO SELL ANYTHING but wanted to use it in fanseries / fanmovies (once more free) or in LARP or just to show it in conventions. Naturally, we wouldn't have used it for these purpose before being sure that it wouldn't harm anyone.

The first things I have done was to get all the possible sources, pictures of the gate for the most part, and all what I needed to do it from scratch. Normally I am now able to describe it under any angle and I planned all what I needed to do it.

But I next had the opportunity to buy an original Backpanel from the gate just when I was ready to begin my work so I decided to use this piece like a base to do all the other ones. For me it was great to have an original piece to begin with because it couldn't be more accurate. Maybe this is the first thing you'll not be ok with, but it's nothing more than an idea. Now if you think that making replica for this project from the original Backpanel I own is a bad idea, so it's ok, we'll do it otherwise.

I know that's the sort of thing I wouldn't attempted to do if I had presented this project here on the RPF but I was frightened that I couldn't make any mistake in any case without being molested by the community.

We were now waiting for the shipping of the Backpanel and a friend told me that someone was selling a chevron made from an original one. I purchased it and once more, planned to do it from scratch with all the measurements, I even bought the material I needed to do it.

The community was growing up and I had to present my work and my project to the french Comic Con in Paris one week later (from the 5 to the 8 of July). I had some trouble with my replica and some prop maker told me just to make a cast from it and to fix it later. THERE IS MY FAULT, I haven't been alarmed by what he said and told me that if there were anything wrong with it I could just avoid to use it. But I didn't think to contact the seller and I'm sorry for that.

Here we are. I returned home yesterday at 02:00 in the morning and saw the comment of coolbutpointles that had been posted one week ago (I had no internet in Paris). I was feeling bad. So after a well merited sleep I wanted to answer him, saying that I would be happy to accede to his request. I have seen that he had posted on the RPF that I was a recaster and that I didn't want to do what he requested.

It's been now something like 24 hours that I answered him and no one noticed it but you're continuing to argue that I'm a monster to do such things...

I'm not planning to do anything with my cast. For me it's nothing more than a failed exercise (because the cast failed, not because of this argument). I'm now returning doing it from scratch and I hope we can speak of it to avoid this project to become something wrong.

Could we please just start from the fact that if someone tells me “Don't do that, it's bad.” I'll immediately say “ok, so let's do it otherwise.” once I will be aware of it ?
Have I the right to fail if there is no consequences, like here ? If I can go back ? Or will I just have to be molested by all of you ?

Coolbutpointless, you are 200% correct in what you say. Contested elsewhere or whatever is irrelevant. Here, it's cool and all who think otherwise are not within this board's frame of mind. Simple as that.

Thank you for the support/clarifying the boards attitude on the matter.

I just wanted to post on the potential for a recaster in case anyone else was selling things which might be of relevance. I see the owner of the blog(I assume, anyway) has responded to my post over there and seems fairly understanding of my point, though confused about who said the "hung, drawn, and quartered" statement.

I'll see where this ends up. Thus far it seems in earnest from him and very straight forward, regardless of what his friends/supporters may have implied(purposefully or not) here in this thread.

Thank you for the support/clarifying the boards attitude on the matter.

It is important you understand that I am not connected in any way to the board's owners / admin. I speak for myself. My thinking in these matters, however, represents what the core members of this board feel.

though confused about who said the "hung, drawn, and quartered" statement.

I did. He can sue me if he wishes. My details are freely available all over the internet. He may, however, wish to note my 'laughing' emoticon after that statement, or get some lessons in having a sense of humour. Or at least, my sense of humour. And if he still doesn't get it, he can frack a duck for all I care.

Hi and good of you to chime in.

But I next had the opportunity to buy an original Backpanel from the gate just when I was ready to begin my work so I decided to use this piece like a base to do all the other ones. For me it was great to have an original piece to begin with because it couldn't be more accurate. Maybe this is the first thing you'll not be ok with, but it's nothing more than an idea. Now if you think that making replica for this project from the original Backpanel I own is a bad idea, so it's ok, we'll do it otherwise.
No one would have an issue with you molding your original back-panel for your project.

Here we are. I returned home yesterday at 02:00 in the morning and saw the comment of coolbutpointles that had been posted one week ago (I had no internet in Paris). I was feeling bad. So after a well merited sleep I wanted to answer him, saying that I would be happy to accede to his request. I have seen that he had posted on the RPF that I was a recaster and that I didn't want to do what he requested.
A week is a long time to wait for an answer, which is why the issue was clearly brought up here. So clearly, the request was accepted to not use his for your project, so that should clear up any issues.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back