Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Post-release)

Well, GoTG3 is post E8 in our timeline - maybe Star Lord comes back, catches up on SW and gets himself a Falcon for pt 3 - i could totally the falcon with a tape deck, or an auxiliary port for the Zune :)

Well, GoTG3 is post E8 in our timeline - maybe Star Lord comes back, catches up on SW and gets himself a Falcon for pt 3 - i could totally the falcon with a tape deck, or an auxiliary port for the Zune :)

When I watched the first (which I'm not a big fan of) one of my complaints was that his ship could have been more iconic. I get that it's just a ravager ship, but the idea of one that truly stands out like the falcon would have been awesome.

That's one thing I give them credit for in that first (and second) movie... Yondu's arrow is something I found totally unique weapon wise. Not often I see a new weapon in a movie.

*if a whistle controlled exploding arrow has been used elsewhere, I'm not aware

Yeah, dude...

Here I was, thinking I had a good grip on these movies. While I did follow a lot of the subtext in #2, I did miss a lot of what she points out. Very, very nice analysis, which I will ave to share with the wife.

Okay, watched the movie yesterday night. Did something that I haven´t done in a long time, namely BUY the BD before seeing the movie. I have so much stuff cluttering up my life that I swore to NOT buy movies physically anymore. But somehow I WANTED that movie.

And I mus say, I regretted buying the BD. Because I was so excited to see the movie and in the end I was quite a bit disappointed, since I like GotG V.1 much better. I think I got some of the subtext, but did find the movie having lengths. I love the characters and all, but this time the whole story felt a bit "thin". And, don´t shoot me, predictable. So predictable, that my gf knew Ego´s intentions before I did. Damn. I mean, she watches a lot of those CSI-Criminal suspect-murder 1st shows, so in all those whodunnits she tries to figure out the culprit asap. Seems that something good comes out of watching mediocre shows. And me, the self-proclaimed film buff, was a bit slow. Huh.

The father-son topic does resonate with me, so the ending really got to me (whereas both the start and the end of GoTG V1 strongly got to me), it still felt a bit weird, I can´t really put my finger on it atm. But maybe because I almost slept through the last 20 minutes of it (damn you, old age!).

SO, I think I´ll watch that review before making final judgment.

Okay, watched the movie yesterday night. Did something that I haven´t done in a long time, namely BUY the BD before seeing the movie. I have so much stuff cluttering up my life that I swore to NOT buy movies physically anymore. But somehow I WANTED that movie.

And I mus say, I regretted buying the BD. Because I was so excited to see the movie and in the end I was quite a bit disappointed, since I like GotG V.1 much better. I think I got some of the subtext, but did find the movie having lengths. I love the characters and all, but this time the whole story felt a bit "thin". And, don´t shoot me, predictable. So predictable, that my gf knew Ego´s intentions before I did. Damn. I mean, she watches a lot of those CSI-Criminal suspect-murder 1st shows, so in all those whodunnits she tries to figure out the culprit asap. Seems that something good comes out of watching mediocre shows. And me, the self-proclaimed film buff, was a bit slow. Huh.

The father-son topic does resonate with me, so the ending really got to me (whereas both the start and the end of GoTG V1 strongly got to me), it still felt a bit weird, I can´t really put my finger on it atm. But maybe because I almost slept through the last 20 minutes of it (damn you, old age!).

SO, I think I´ll watch that review before making final judgment.
My initial reaction was the same as yours. I thought GotG had a much more engaging pace to the narrative; I liked the music better; there was the joy of having each character discover each other. On the other hand GotGv2's story seemed to stall around the middle.

But after a couple more viewings I started to like GotGv2 even more. Each individual arc as well as the relationship arcs were deeper and more sophisticated. The ending of GotGv2 was incredibly strong because of a synergy of the different arcs closing simultaneously. In the first film the villain, Ronan, was a bit of a bore as was Glen Close's character. In GotGv2 I liked to rewatch every single character. Nobody was boring to watch.

It took me a few viewings but I think I just might like GotGv2 even better than GotG now.

Okay, if I find the time I will watch GotG2 again. Maybe starting with V1 and then watching V2 might have helped appreciate it a little more.

Watching the review did help a little. I now can appreciate the movie a little more. I expected an action fun space opera comedy. But I was served a to some extent character-driven movie about family and what makes us the people we are. Nice, but unexpected. I am not sure if it did mix that well.
I love the comic relief in GotG, but to be honest I found the Sovereigns too over-the-top. I am really curious how they (Gunn and production) are going to tell the development and conception of Adam Warlock. How in heck is one of the strongest characters in the MU and potentially in the MCU going to come from those ninnies? What is his motivation going to be?

I am waiting for the next movie, patiently and mildly eagerly, but this time I won´t buy the BD before renting the movie.

My 4 year old son has watched this so many times he is now doing Kraglin's dialogue when he plays. :)
"SOOOUP!!! SOOOUP!!! Baby you've been so goooood to meeee!!" I'm guilty of blurting that out when that song comes on the soundtrack. I've also been leaning on the line "OOOOO that's niiiiice..."

It still amuses my girlfriend, so I don't see it ending anytime soon.

"SOOOUP!!! SOOOUP!!! Baby you've been so goooood to meeee!!" I'm guilty of blurting that out when that song comes on the soundtrack. I've also been leaning on the line "OOOOO that's niiiiice..."

It still amuses my girlfriend, so I don't see it ending anytime soon.

Thats the one! Oooooo, that's nice. Happy trails!

It is one of those movies that I can throw in the player and watch it at any point without losing interest. Purchase worthy disc.

I noticed some of Yondu's funeral wrappings featured US military insignia and medals.

Captain's rank bars (USAF probably) near his left temple. For his rank.
'National Defense Service Medal' full ribbon near his right temple. For his defense of Xandar.
'Good Conduct' ribbon bar on the cloth over his eyes. For his redemption.

At least, that's why I think they chose those specific items.

I would be curious to see if there was any personal significance to the utilization of the Missile badge. Whether or not a family member or close family friend had any Air Force missile career background. Considering the Gunn's grew up in St Louis Missouri, Whiteman Air Force Base was a missile base only 200 miles west of there.

As for the badge being a Missile Maintenance badge (Father mentioned this elsewhere in this thread #153) it technically could have been either the Maintenance Badge or the Operations Badge. From the 1960s through the late 1980s the same badge was used for both occupations. My stepfather was issued the illustrated badge seen in the movie as a launch officer but I was issued in the mid-90s the badge with the operations wreath when I completed launch officer training. Just curious as to whether these items may have been something that Quinn had on him in his pack upon being picked by Yandu or collected over the years. Any way... things that make you go hmmm. :)

I don’t think I posted in here that I finally saw this.

I am not a die hard fan, I don’t know anything about the books, but loved the first one

I also loved the second one, my favorite part is when they throw the jet pack on drax “My nipples!!!!”

I was dying in laughter, I really love that character

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be curious to see if there was any personal significance to the utilization of the Missile badge. Whether or not a family member or close family friend had any Air Force missile career background. Considering the Gunn's grew up in St Louis Missouri, Whiteman Air Force Base was a missile base only 200 miles west of there.

As for the badge being a Missile Maintenance badge (Father mentioned this elsewhere in this thread #153) it technically could have been either the Maintenance Badge or the Operations Badge. From the 1960s through the late 1980s the same badge was used for both occupations. My stepfather was issued the illustrated badge seen in the movie as a launch officer but I was issued in the mid-90s the badge with the operations wreath when I completed launch officer training. Just curious as to whether these items may have been something that Quinn had on him in his pack upon being picked by Yandu or collected over the years. Any way... things that make you go hmmm. :)

A few of them seem to refer directly to things Yondu did on screen as I listed above. I'm sure the rest probably refer to something that was seen on screen as well. The Missile badge could even refer to his usage of the arrow, which is not unlike a missile. It's even self-propelled.

I would like to identify and collect all the pieces one of these days.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back