Grommash Build. Last Page new pics of the silicone glove. 01/25/2017

Re: Grommash Build. Last Page Axe butt molded and cast. 14 new pics. 01/08/2017

While I've been waiting for paint I've been working on the glove for the articulating hand. This is a long story.

First there is the reference photos from Steve Wang's build.
glove2.jpgglove4.jpgglove5.jpg

First I had to do some experimenting with silicones to decide if I was going to go that route for the fingers. The problem was the back side of the fingers increase in length as the finger bends. I wanted to do them in leather but I just could not bend a finger with a tube of leather wrapped around it. I made a tube and slush cast Dragonskin Pro Fx and placed it on the finger. Not flexible enough. Then I tried EchFlex 20.
glove61.jpg

Here is a video of the test with the EchoFlex tube.

Once I decided on the silicone route I started to sculpt. I initially started on the hand that I did the palm cast off of. I abandon that idea pretty quickly. I decided I need to sculpt directly on the hand or something close to it. So I molded the hand.

The abandon sculpt
glove55.jpg

Molding the hand to create armatures to sculpt on.
glove60.jpgglove59.jpgglove58.jpgglove57.jpgglove54.jpgglove56.jpg

On to sculpting. Monster clay.
glove53.jpgglove52.jpgglove50.jpgglove39.jpgglove41.jpg

Next I wanted to try making a seamless mold. I used DragonSkin Pro Fx as the mold. Then I did a simple plaster bandage mother mold.
glove40.jpgglove45.jpgglove43.jpgglove42.jpg

Now understand this part was all experimental. I used Ease Release 205 on the mold and spread in a couple of layers of EchoFlex 20 tinted dark brown.
glove44.jpg
Here is the fresh pull. It looked great and felt great.
glove46.jpgglove47.jpgglove48.jpg

So after all of that all seems great. WRONG. I decided it was just to heavy and cumbersome to be used. In my next post I will show you what was next. No wonder this takes so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just read your build from the beginning and it's just an amazing job you're pulling right now:cool Incredible amount of details involved in that build...eager to see the next update!!

Great hand design. I'm thinking of employing it on my K-2SO build. I've never worked with 1/8" pvc sheets. How did you cut out the linkage and finger pieces? Dremel tool? Laser? Knife?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back