The Last of Us HBO Joel Thread

johncarbon1991

Starting this thread to help fans of Joel Miller/Pedro Pascal's look from the recent Last of Us HBO Max flagship television series.

The jacket has been confirmed as being Flint and Tinder's waxed flanel-lined trucker jacket. Lighting makes the jacket look green, and although a couple websites have mistakenly identified it as the "forest" color scheme, Huckberry's own reps have confirmed it is in fact the field tan color:

Huckberry also makes a wool lined version with an apparently identical outer shell but slightly different colored interior lining:

I believe I've identified the shirt but want to hold off on sharing that until I've 100% confirmed it.

I'm wondering if anyone here can identify the jeans, boots, or backpack. I believe (zero confirmation here) that the jeans are also a flint and tinder item, but the color variation in the photos makes it difficult to confirm which ones.

As for the backpack, a number of lookalikes show up when searching "vintage canvas backpack", but I believe they're all similar cheap imitations of what's likely a more iconic brand. Would welcome any and all help identifying it.

Attachments

• 20230125_131219.jpg
    20230125_131219.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 376
  • The-Last-of-Us-HBO-TV-Show-Release-Date-Ellie-and-Joel.jpg
    The-Last-of-Us-HBO-TV-Show-Release-Date-Ellie-and-Joel.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 337
  • xuZxf5q2RPGAaWpL94EBP5.jpg
    xuZxf5q2RPGAaWpL94EBP5.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 309
  • p0dv64d4.jpg
    p0dv64d4.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 315
  • https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_210927101031-the-last-of-us-hbo-first-look.jpg
    https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_210927101031-the-last-of-us-hbo-first-look.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 365
The shirt is a wrangler indigo shirt that was distressed for the show
s-l1600.jpg

The boots apper to be the Irish Setter 861 boots. They're by Irish Setter at least.
1675088712431.png

His latest shirt appares to be a Fjällräven FJÄLLGLIM that's had the pockets altered
lim_shirt_m_81380-625_a_main_fjr__57132.1671084352.jpg

Last edited:
What's your source for these? The shirts look about right, but those boots seem to have that very distinctive spiked tongue near the toe that the boots on the show are lacking.
Source is me myself. I've been collecting Rick Grimes stuff for 7 years and you learn a thing or 2 about finding ID's over time haha. You can clearly see the boot logo in a few shots. The spinked tounge you can remove.
F484C7A0-A2C0-49D9-8AD3-2540462693AB.jpg

1675091896836.png

Source is me myself. I've been collecting Rick Grimes stuff for 7 years and you learn a thing or 2 about finding ID's over time haha. You can clearly see the boot logo in a few shots. The spinked tounge you can remove.
View attachment 1663587
View attachment 1663585
Fair enough haha. What's the specific model of wrangler shirt? Any chance you can post a link? "Indigo" turns up a number of options, all of which seem to have the wrangler logo stitched onto the front pockets.

Fair enough haha. What's the specific model of wrangler shirt? Any chance you can post a link? "Indigo" turns up a number of options, all of which seem to have the wrangler logo stitched onto the front pockets.
The Costume designer also posted regarding the wrangler shirt on her story right after episode 1 dropped. I'd assume the shirt is discontinued, so your best bet is Ebay. That's where i grabbed mine anyway. I looked the other day and saw a few small, 1 medium and a handfull of Large still up. The key thing to notice about the wrangler is that it is a lighter color with light stitching. It is not the one with Yellow/orrange stitching.

The Costume designer also posted regarding the wrangler shirt on her story right after episode 1 dropped. I'd assume the shirt is discontinued, so your best bet is Ebay. That's where i grabbed mine anyway. I looked the other day and saw a few small, 1 medium and a handfull of Large still up. The key thing to notice about the wrangler is that it is a lighter color with light stitching. It is not the one with Yellow/orrange stitching.
Thank you. As for the boots, I'm looking, and all the 861s I'm seeing have a different logo than the one you posted. It's lacking the circle around the dog. Are the 861s used in the show an older model?

Attachments

• SH00861C_MUL_N2_0816.jpeg
    SH00861C_MUL_N2_0816.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 198
Thank you. As for the boots, I'm looking, and all the 861s I'm seeing have a different logo than the one you posted. It's lacking the circle around the dog. Are the 861s used in the show an older model?
There is a variant with and without the circle, annoyingly. The ones listed at Academy sports have the circle. Friend of mine grabbed a pair from them already, will report back if it's old listing pictures or what's going on :p

Edit: They are supposed to come in later today i belive

There is a variant with and without the circle, annoyingly. The ones listed at Academy sports have the circle. Friend of mine grabbed a pair from them already, will report back if it's old listing pictures or what's going on :p

Appreciate the help! Please let me know on how your friend's pair goes, looking to source a pair myself if they're accurate.

Now I just need to figure out the backpack and the jeans.

Ah dang, I own a replica of Joel’s shirt from the game. Slightly annoyed they brought in a version of it I’d have to spend $200 and alteration costs on to have one accurate shirt

Just A Dead Man any update from your friend on Academy? I called a bunch of stores in the US, seems like they're all out of stock of the older pairs. Apparently Irish Setter stopped making the boots for a while during covid hitting it's peak, during which time most of the existing stock was bought up. They changed their logo not long after that.

Just A Dead Man any update from your friend on Academy?
Yes! He got the boots in and they dont' have the circle. I'm assuming it's an older logo sadly.

Listened to the interview with cynthia yesterday (Costume designer) and she mentioned the boots being irish Setter as well. She also revealed that his tshirt is a crossley that has been dyed. Lastly she also mentioned that on the Flint & Tinder jacket, they removed all of the wax. She's also very happy about people wanting to cosplay Joel and will be posting more of outfits on her instagram.
She did confirm that the watch is a custom piece for the show by the way!

If you want to listen to the interview / podcast, it's on itunes? and spotify for free. It's simply called "The Last Of us costume desginer Cynthia summers" It's definitely worth a listen if you haven't already.

Yes! He got the boots in and they dont' have the circle. I'm assuming it's an older logo sadly.

Listened to the interview with cynthia yesterday (Costume designer) and she mentioned the boots being irish Setter as well. She also revealed that his tshirt is a crossley that has been dyed. Lastly she also mentioned that on the Flint & Tinder jacket, they removed all of the wax. She's also very happy about people wanting to cosplay Joel and will be posting more of outfits on her instagram.
She did confirm that the watch is a custom piece for the show by the way!

If you want to listen to the interview / podcast, it's on itunes? and spotify for free. It's simply called "The Last Of us costume desginer Cynthia summers" It's definitely worth a listen if you haven't already.
Appreciate the help, thank you. Yeah, I'm looking less for exact cosplay and more for a fun, functional outfit that's a nod to the show. I bought the flint and tinder jacket, the wax finish is super practical and I can't imagine stripping it for a costume (plus it looks attractive). At this rate, I may just settle for the boots with the new logo (I need a solid pair or boots anyway) and call them close enough.

What t shirt are you referring to? The one Joel wears in the pilot on the couch with Sarah?

Well, on that note, I have officially given up my quest of trying to find the irish setter boots with the older logo. I've called just about every store in the US I can find, with no luck on the older logo. If anyone else here has any suggestions I'd welcome them. Otherwise I'm going to buy the newer pair and simply call it close enough.

Bought a few of those Wrangler shirts last month in a large from eBay. They sell exclusively new on Walmart’s website, but they are completely sold out. Didn’t even buy mine because of the show . And then I was researching the jacket, which I confirmed from Huckberry in their comments section from their Joel post (name is Wizbiz) - it’s the field tan, stripped of wax and aged/dyed.
The green hero shirt is definitely not from that Norwegian looking brand, but the pattern is similar (collar is different is Joel close ups than the shirt suggested). If you look at allot of Wrangler flannel’s on their site, it has to be a new design that they’re probably going to release. I speculated this after seeing they had collabs with another show, Yellowstone.
I posted as much on Cynthia’s Instagram, speculating that Wrangler must be coming out with a new collection with Joel’s shirt, and low and behold, a few hours later, the comment was removed. Keep your eyes out gents.

Last edited:
I will definitely keep an eye out for an accurate Wrangler shirt, I’d love for it to be that simple.

But considering the costume designer has already confirmed hand distressing and dyeing items I feel like she’s not above completely remaking a shirt which is what I think happened.

The Fjällräven shirt that was posted has a zipper pocket integrated in the chest and the one on the show does not.
I think the production team bought a bunch of the shirts and then used them for fabric to match the one in the game, completely remaking the front. Any differences in the collar would have happened there when they either remade or reattached the collar.

That or we can start looking and seeing if the fabric is available anywhere, I’ve seen Paul Smith and Zanella make shirts out of fabric used to custom make shirts for a production before. If they just bought the flannel fabric and made the shirt from scratch that would explain things as well

For what it's worth, I purchased the fjallglim shirt off Amazon and am already returning it. It's definitely not a slim fit despite what the description reads (pick your true size), but the bigger issue is that the fabric just feels really cheap. The Huckberry jacket feels like a $300 jacket. The fjallraven shirt doesn't feel like a $100 shirt. The fabric's very artificial looking and has that cheap shiny finish to it. Even the reviews on REI's site say similar things. Unless you absolutely had to have a cosplay replica and were up to extensively modifying it, I can't recommend it.

As a stroke of luck, I've found myself with an extra wrangler indigo shirt. It's a size medium and currently in transit (I bought extras since I was uncertain on sizing), but willing to sell it at cost should anyone want it. Honestly, I may have an extra large too depending (thinking I may go up to an xl for a looser fit).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back