Gatchaman/ Battle of the Planets/ G-Force First Look (Japan)

Um... yeah there is.

Are you referring to the CGI version because I thought that had stalled quite dramatically?
I watched the original 'Ring' - the American remake...poor in comparison. I saw 'The Grudge' - American version...same result.

I really need to watch the original series subbed. Trouble is, I've heard it's received so many US versions that it's really hard to find the JP original accurately subbed. (as in, not an HK godawful sub)

I really need to watch the original series subbed. Trouble is, I've heard it's received so many US versions that it's really hard to find the JP original accurately subbed. (as in, not an HK godawful sub)

ADV released the entire first series, remastered and subbed. (And dubbed). It's the only US release of the entire series. There were some Battle of the Planets DVDs that had some Gatch episodes as a bonus, but that accounts for just a handful.

I'm thankful that Sandy Frank brought it over to the US, but after seeing what Sandy Frank did to it... I can't go back.

It seems like every time they try to interpret a Japanese film to America... they completely screw it up. From Godzilla on.

I can only imagine the US abomination...because I know that they're going to go with archetype characters, in lieu of real character development, and cram in a bunch of big action sequences loosely strung together with the barest of plots.

Leave the Japanese properties to the Japanese.

P.S. Jet, if you're writing the screenplay, I'm sure you'll turn in a faithful first draft, and I'm sure that the notion of Zoltar being a hermaphrodite will never play in a "kids" movie...It's not the writer that bothers me... it's the studios.

If it was a 30-60 million dollar movie with a director that had some creative control, I'd be happier. But, to hear it's going to be big budget... tells me it's going to be homogenized

Last edited:
I hear ya.

Just know this - the director is Japanese and this is a joint venture with Tatsunoko. There are negative points when dealing with either studio - Japanese movies are sometimes confusing or unsatisfying when it comes to the 3rd act. They want their films to be more American - hiring Steve Tyler to do a track for Yamato and so on - This movie is not Gatchaman - it's Battle of the Planets, meaning you are stuck with Tiny, Princess and Keopp as the names - but it also means Zoltar's secret behind the mask could be done because it was established in the cartoon Zoltar was an alien. At least I'll try to come at it that way.

for those curious about the responses coming from some of us... I think this sums it up pretty well

Good Luck Jet. I'm rooting for you to do something with this. And if they try to tell you it's a kids movie... remind them that a kid hasn't seen this since 1978... we're all grown up now

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever isn't happy with anything changed or if the characters end up all being different I learned a lot from the Star Trek and Superman threads -

my responses will be

1. They are not G-Force yet. They are working toward becoming the team you know and love.
2. Those uniforms were outdated so we removed the capes and bird symbol to modernize them.
3. Marc had to die to stop the Godphoenix from crashing into a city.
4. Princess and Jason's relationship gives the charaters more depth.
and the best one of all ---
5. They had to do it - they had no choice!

and for those who haven't seen this you'll love it
http://youtu.be/exJaIfk1_b4

I'll have to wait for a English translated version of the new live-action Gatchaman to understand what's going on. The Phoenix looks very cool...or should I say hot?!

Last edited:
I'm thankful that Sandy Frank brought it over to the US, but after seeing what Sandy Frank did to it... I can't go back.

Well, Sandy Frank IS the source of all our pain. And I've heard he likes to crap in his hand. But that could just be vicious rumor. ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back