Galactica Shuttle 356

Thanks guys. Gotta say with all the builds i started in my first year of Sci Fi SS building it will be nice to actually finish one.... Thanks for all your help & support Doug. Also big thanks to all the modelers Ive learnt so many tricks from over the last 12 months.

Now Im down to the last few parts Ive realised i didn't make the missile parts for the belly properly. Here I was thinking there were parts missing but guess this is what happens without instructions. So snapped them off, literally breaking one set :eek Lucky resin parts snap cleanly & can be fixed vertually perfectly. I just love that about resin. Also had to add a missing piece so scratched it out of some styrene. Can''t believe i actually can fix parts like this. This is what I have learned over the last year watching everyones builds. Thanks everyone. Almost there & Mike says he's got some parts on their way. Thanks Mike your customer service is exceptional.

Well theres really not much to go on this build. Just waiting for the last parts from Mike & decided to get what I have on in the meantime except for the landing pads that will be done last.
I realised that Mikes measurements for the rod piece at the front under the chin is out as was taken off the replica & not the original. The original needs the 2 rods that connect to the F1 piece to be a tad longer. So yep had to snap em off & I'll cut some new ones.
The rockets are back on with the correct parts asell as the 1 radiator until I get the replacement for the one I used on My battlestar Butt Plate
Had to fix a couple of the Nitto parts that the tubing snapped off the bottom ends. Mike told me to use some tube which I did & whalar! Their fixed alsmost good as new One of those pieces actually snapped into four after I snapped it off & got it glue back quite nice.
So small stuff now & getting ready to paint the cabin.

Its raining here so not a good start to the holidays for the kids.... :unsure

Yeah, Mike also uses a really nice soft resin that's a pleasure to work with. You can do many things with hand tools that'd take a Dremel with harder resins. I love that stuff.

Model's looking good! :thumbsup

Lucky resin parts snap cleanly & can be fixed vertually perfectly. I just love that about resin.

So close now. Just a few bits to go. Just finished the piping for the top & sides. First timimg doing that & am happy with the results.

Thanks Scott & Jason. Coming from artists such as yourselves that a great compliment. I just splashed a little more primer on to bring up any areas for clean up such as scratches & excess paint. Just 4 more pieces to on the fuselage that Im waiting for & the landing gear which Im about to start on.

Getting to the half way point now.
Just finished the landing gear which have been the most dificult part of this build yet.
Have to mould & cast up a new small round piece that sits under the cockpit as one seems to have fallen off....
A few small parts on the toip sides & add another resistor to the engine lighting wiring so I can swap the bulbs from Halogen to LED. Im doing this as I want to be able to leave the lights on for a while sometimes & if I do that wioth the halogend this baby is going up in flames....
Looking forward to finally painting.
Thanks for looking.

Thanks Michael. Glad to see your still around. Hope the Marathon circuit is soing you well.
George cheers mate. Much apreciated. Am very keen to see that Base Star come on line mate. keep up the good work. Hope your well.

Have finished the last of the detailing & went about trying to make it so I could swap from Halogen to LED balbs as I pleased.
Can't leave halogens on due to heat & I would really like to just have the lights on all my models.
Like thats the whole point of lighting these things right?
Anyway I put a resistor in that works great for the LED's but cancels the Halogens out.
IThe only way to achieve that is to take the resistor out.
Then I would have to rig the leds with a resistor to each on & make it so it could sit behind the rocket bells.
If that makes sense :confused
Anyway heres a couple of pics with some blue LED's I have...
So no the quetion really is LED or Halogen......

Hey Jason, it's looking great, if i can make a lighting recommendation for lighting, i would go with LED's because if the heat issue, but i would use the Superflux superbrights (follow the link below). They are my new favorite for lighting, they have 4 chips and give off light in a much more natural way for things like thrusters. I used them on my Gal shuttle and they, for low heat option, seem to be the best of what's around. I am also using them on my SW shuttle as well....
great work
mike

12V LED - Pre-wired Waterproof SuperFlux LEDs

Last edited:
Decided to definately take your advice Mike & am going with the LED's.
Have finally started painting.
Laid down a lighter shade in the panels & will now recieve washes to create shadows & a touch of the orange & brown for some ageing before coming back with the white.
I might actually get this finished :lol
Thanks for looking.

Have hit the shuttle with a heavy wash of artist oils Black & Raw Umber. :sick Oooh ugly :eek Startted rubbing back the wash from the initial panelling from the air brush. Stiall a fair bit of rubbing to bring the panels back to a lightish color. Will be adding the red stripe & dark panels before hiiting with another few washes of various hues. The beauty of oil paints is that though take hours to dry /cure so when you hit the washed surface with thinners on a 'lint' free cloth/medium you can rub back first layers uder the wash & leave nice shadows in the crevices & scribing. She just looks like a dirty pig right now.:love
Still alot of work to get her how I think she needs to be.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back