Finn's Leather Jacket

Just saw a pic of the new TFA poster from D23. Now I really want to do this version of Finn! @Indy Magnoli, any chance it would be possible to get one of these jackets in-hand by DragonCon (September 3rd)~?

Fantastic, Amazing, Beautiful work!!! You sir are a master of quality!... With that said, I'm a old guy, I need the Old guys jacket. Any word on Solo's digs?... My pennies are about ready.

Indy, just noticed some differences between your last round of progress pics and the screen jacket. I apologize if you're already aware of these issues (I'm sure you are) but I figured I'd point them out anyway!

issues.png

The tacking is definitely on the other side, so because of the buckling I figured it must be on this side too... but in that shot I'm not so sure. That stitching will be corrected...

Here's a couple more up-close shots:
Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-126.jpgStar-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-125.jpg

Comparison to opposite shoulder:
Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-124.jpg

Honestly it is hard to tell, and I don't know nearly as much as you do about which way would be "better" :(

I do not think that is tacking, I think it is the end of the stitching detail of the shoulder peaking out from underneath the trim.

the one shot above shows good detail of the placket and how it needs to be so the buckle can be added.

the red panel is interesting. The top stitching is not red from the paint but there is slight bleed over of the paint on the other pieces of the jacket near the panel. So it looks like the panel was painted after at least some construction and the the stitching added.

Last edited:
I do not think that is tacking, I think it is the end of the stitching detail of the shoulder peaking out from underneath the trim.

I assume best thing to do would be produce it WITH tacking, that way customers can just cut it free if they want? My concern about not tacking them down is if they will crease/"bubble" up as a result of being worn and moved in, which will make you look like you have mini-caves on either shoulder, you know~?

To me it seems like the belt length might be shorter as to allow the back to gather more when compared to the display. Not sure if that's it but there seems to be something going on back there.

Sorry I missed this thread... I've got good photos of most of the details

here's the back

View attachment 521161

See what I mean about how much gathering there is in the back? It seems like the belt is short/ tightened so that it pulls in the sides at the back for a closer fit. It's not just a decorative waist strap.

So these jackets are finalized and available now?

Epic shot man and the jacket looks great. Will you be distressing it a bit? Any ideas on the hardware? I guess something fairly accurate could be 3D printed for the chest piece at least.

So these jackets are finalized and available now?

Epic shot man and the jacket looks great. Will you be distressing it a bit? Any ideas on the hardware? I guess something fairly accurate could be 3D printed for the chest piece at least.

I worked something out with Indy where he worked extra hard to get me this by Dragoncon. I am 3D printing the jacket greeblies as we speak. Definitely need to weather the jacket and only have about 24 hours to do it so I could use some advice!

I worked something out with Indy where he worked extra hard to get me this by Dragoncon. I am 3D printing the jacket greeblies as we speak. Definitely need to weather the jacket and only have about 24 hours to do it so I could use some advice!

You should go over to the Wolverine thread. Those guys have a lot different techniques for wearing leather jackets. I think on of the things they mentioned was putting it in the dryer with a bunch of tennis balls. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=111619&highlight=Wolverine

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back