Finn's Leather Jacket

The red areas are actually red leather and red strapping. Yes, I agree the originals seem painted, but I think that's an example of the "prop" versus "real world" debate. If someone wants to paint there own, we can certainly leave those parts tan, as they'll all be made-to-order.

As for the hardware, the only issue is going to be that vertical strap on the chest. Again, for those who plan on adding hardware, we can leave the bottom of this piece unstitched by request.

I see what your saying but I see the red paint coloring is intended to be custom decor added by the owner. A type of decor added by WW2 military aircrew and Motorcyclist. Of course they usually do images.. in the Star Wars universe it seem like people use color panels as personal identifiers (X-Wing Helmets, Clone troopers Armor) I'm pretty sure that LFL could have come up with the money for red leather is they wanted to. I believe the paint and its weathering was an intentional visual choice. That's just my humble opinion.

When you say chest, do you mean center the or left breast? Either case, it looks like whatever those pieces are, you need to be able to have access to some sort of entry to add them because it does not look as if those item as are pinned or riveted directly on to the leather.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion. If you are not willing to create the doodads, maybe you should work with someone who is... or at least someone who is willing to create a 3D file and sell them on Shapeway.com. At least this way you have some sort of reference for how they might hook onto the jacket.

When you say chest, do you mean center the or left breast?

The center piece, I was talking about. The breast has a relatively loose piece of canvas that the greeblie could easily be pinned to.

Mara Jade's Father said:
maybe you should work with someone who is...

JJ Griffin mentioned in a post above that he'd be working on these...

Last edited by a moderator:
The center piece, I was talking about. The breast has a relatively loose piece of canvas that the greeblie could easily be pinned to.

Since the real item is unknown, you may be right about it being pinned. However, when I look at it, that breast panel looks as if the material is some sort of canvas strapping and those straps are strung through the mystery piece. Once again... I don't know anything for sure. It's just my take on what I am seeing.

Looking at the pics in the close-ups in the German gallery of pics, I'm certain you are correct. All of the metal greeblies are threaded onto the jackets like buckles on straps.

Since the real item is unknown, you may be right about it being pinned. However, when I look at it, that breast panel looks as if the material is some sort of canvas strapping and those straps are strung through the mystery piece. Once again... I don't know anything for sure. It's just my take on what I am seeing.

See how it looks like there might be at least 3 straps... possibly elastic behind the greeble?

SWCA-TFA-Exhibit-WP.59.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, we'll have three straps in that breast "pocket". Leaving these straps loose for whoever wants them as such is no problem at all. Just make sure to mention this when you order...

Indy, would you mind sharing with us the dimensions of those "greeblie" straps so that if/when we decide to model them for 3D printing we have some idea about what size they should be to be compatible with your jacket (which I assume, given the high quality and your reputation, will be the go-to jacket for aspiring fans ;)?

If you'd rather not share that info I understand. Not suggesting a formal partnership or anything, of course! Just hoping to get a baseline for how wide/long they need to be IRL.

Lots of detail in. Quite impressive.

To me it seems like the belt length might be shorter as to allow the back to gather more when compared to the display. Not sure if that's it but there seems to be something going on back there.

Also, any shots of the prototype being worn? On the form, the length looks long but I realize it might just be perspective.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back