Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

I didn't sand/prime. I just painted everything with Krylon fusion paint. I painted the silver over it and it adhered well.

oh sweet. I was actually thinking about going with some Testors stuff, they have some Lacquer spray paint I think looks like the mark 4 really well. Revvin' Red, and Inca Gold. Both have metal flake. I'm not sure if I should prime with those though...

oh sweet. I was actually thinking about going with some Testors stuff, they have some Lacquer spray paint I think looks like the mark 4 really well. Revvin' Red, and Inca Gold. Both have metal flake. I'm not sure if I should prime with those though...

Before I paint plastic I use a rattle can of Plastic Primer. It comes in clear or white. I prefer the white as you can see where it is laying down. I buy mine at Lowes. The last thing you want to do is skip a step painting and then get "lift" or "orange peel". I have come up with new words when this has happened!

Wow awesome template, you did an awesome job, congratulations !
Its all printed , I'll start it soon and post my progress ;)
Just to know, does somebody knows if the original scale of the prints are big enough or if I will have to re scale ? If yes how with PDF files ?
Oh and the last templates are still the version 1 ?

Thanks ;)

So I should sand/prime/paint these? Just like any other material right? Any idea of what grit sandpaper?

hypothetically if someone was to go this route. you could just scuff up the plastic with a scotch bright pad. then primer it and sand the primer smooth with a 220 grit paper. after that i would use something acylic based so that it has a lil flex in it. or you could just skip the primer part and spray directly onto the scuffed up plastic.

edited: 220 grit is good for primer, 750 is a wet sand thats good for making a clear coat look like glass.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

I went out today to Granitecon with my Mark V armor. This was a FAST built (5 days). I had never done costuming before and learned a lot...like dont buy Krylon paint!

THe suit needs a lot of mods, more peices, better arms...ect...

All in all, it went well for my first time out in costume. It was great to see all the kids faces light up when they see Iron Man. If you guys could suggest some mods for the breast place and thighs, it would be very appreciated. I need a solution that will allow the breast plate to stay attached to the rest of the armor, but still allow for movement. Also, for the thighs, Im thinking running elastic up to the chest piece, similar to stormtrooper armor. THink thatll work? Also, any ideas on how to patch gaps in the plastic pieces would be great!

Dont laugh at the helmet! my molds are still in the works. Im taking my time with those...so the helmet is a 3 hour paper helmet...

Also, I have to note my girlfriend. THis was her first time as well, and she went as blackwidow. Frankly, I think she looked fantastic! Her attitude was also great, she had a great time nerding out with me. She died her hair red just for today! She also stayed up until 3 AM, cooking me eggs and watching the empire strikes back while i frantically tried to fix the paint on the armor and make a decent temporary ab plate. Then stayed up on her own for another hour to finish her belts! What more could i ever ask for?!

Sorry for being long winded, but i had a lot to say

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

I went out today to Granitecon with my Mark V armor. This was a FAST built (5 days). I had never done costuming before and learned a lot...like dont buy Krylon paint!

THe suit needs a lot of mods, more peices, better arms...ect...

All in all, it went well for my first time out in costume. It was great to see all the kids faces light up when they see Iron Man. If you guys could suggest some mods for the breast place and thighs, it would be very appreciated. I need a solution that will allow the breast plate to stay attached to the rest of the armor, but still allow for movement. Also, for the thighs, Im thinking running elastic up to the chest piece, similar to stormtrooper armor. THink thatll work? Also, any ideas on how to patch gaps in the plastic pieces would be great!

Dont laugh at the helmet! my molds are still in the works. Im taking my time with those...so the helmet is a 3 hour paper helmet.

Also, I have to note my girlfriend. THis was her first time as well, and she went as blackwidow. Frankly, I think she looked fantastic! Her attitude was also great, she had a great time nerding out with me. She died her hair red just for today! She also stayed up until 3 AM, cooking me eggs and watching the empire strikes back while i frantically tried to fix the paint on the armor and make a decent temporary ab plate. Then stayed up on her own for another hour to finish her belts! What more could i ever ask for?!

Sorry for being long winded, but i had a lot to say

first off for 5 days thats awesome and since you said that you want to upgrade, you are off to a great start! as far as your ab plating question check out my solution on my thread here on Rpf. i used elastic to hold it all together. heres a link http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=85841 .
also that was awesome of your girl to go all out too.:thumbsup

Last edited:
Thanks!

I have been following your build closely. I tried to locate some elastic, but i wasnt quite able to find the right stuff. I will say that i like what you are doing with the breast plates. I think i might try sometihng like that on my suit!

It was brought to my attention that you can just take the pep files for war machine and easily use them as trashcan templates. In retrospect it makes a lot of sense and I feel silly not thinking of it myself. So, I've decided to abandon the war machine templates and just pass along that info. You will need to assemble the pep files and then just use the faces you choose to transfer tot he can and cut out. Good luck. I think I'm done with Iron Man now. ha ha ha ha

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back