Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

where are all the people that said they was gon do a mark v armor for the opening??

Murphey's Law. :)

We're all of us still working though, least far as I can see from quakevirus' update thread, which I might add is phenomenal proof of how good a build can be gleamed from the methods discussed here.

Awesome build, Fetts!

The only big problem of that template is the chin. It's in a straight line with the faceplate, which is not correct. In my helmet, I had to cut the chin part off, redo it and then glue it back in to achieve the right angle between chin and faceplate. But I'm a sick individual so... :D

Aah... I thought so... :)

29831_423855392164_712752164_5859455_2526242_n.jpg

My chin's a bit off thanks to the cutting and re-gluing! BTW, I traced out the template on card stock, bent it into shape and applied fiberglass and bondo on it. Took me a week to get to this stage (the battle damage was done before I saw the movie. Got a big surprise when the Mk.VI had a similar damage on screen!) . Thanks for the template, Gemini Khan!

Must be the camera angle making it look destorted but it looks alot like bigheaded Marvin
Marvin-the-Paranoid-Android.jpg

Speaking of big heads, has anyone considered making a BK King stlye Iron Man suit? I can't find any pics online but the main difference that I can see is an oversized helmet to accomodate the King's head. Granted that it's probably not as cool as a regular Iron Man but imagine the laughs you'd get at a con dressed as the BK King Iron Man, at the very least you'd stand out from all of other Iron Mans.

Speaking of big heads, has anyone considered making a BK King stlye Iron Man suit? I can't find any pics online but the main difference that I can see is an oversized helmet to accomodate the King's head. Granted that it's probably not as cool as a regular Iron Man but imagine the laughs you'd get at a con dressed as the BK King Iron Man, at the very least you'd stand out from all of other Iron Mans.

At first I thought "thats demented" and then I thought it's genius, Imagine if Burger King would pay anyone for the viral marketing.... most likely not.

It's a good option for "Fred Flintstone" heads that need extra room for their melons (See the Gladiator Helmet thread) as the King has a giant head. :lol

at first i thought "thats demented" and then i thought it's genius, imagine if burger king would pay anyone for the viral marketing.... Most likely not.

It's a good option for "fred flintstone" heads that need extra room for their melons (see the gladiator helmet thread) as the king has a giant head. :lol

jack in the box iron man head!!

As a newbie on the forum so much of the unbelievably high standard of work that members produce here can be intimidating for those of us just starting out, or in my case, with no skills or experience.

This thread however is the inspiration that makes me think I could at least attempt that, perhaps end up with something similar to the movie costume, and have great fun with limited outlay in the build process.

The inginuity & ideas that members have freely shared & discussed in this thread open up a whole wealth of possibilities for this and other projects.

I just wanted to say thank you Fetts, you rock!!

As a newbie on the forum so much of the unbelievably high standard of work that members produce here can be intimidating for those of us just starting out, or in my case, with no skills or experience.

This thread however is the inspiration that makes me think I could at least attempt that, perhaps end up with something similar to the movie costume, and have great fun with limited outlay in the build process.

The inginuity & ideas that members have freely shared & discussed in this thread open up a whole wealth of possibilities for this and other projects.

I just wanted to say thank you Fetts, you rock!!

You're welcome. All credit goes to AFettFullofDollars on TDH! :)

Well fetts. You did apply it to iron man really quickly. You brought back a hidden and overlooked method
That everyone could afford.

You could have kept it to yourself but you're selfless.

That alone deserves credit.

I've been looking into an Iron man suit and *****, you found a way I can do it and afford right now and it looks amazing. :D

However I really am dead set on the Mark IV armor...is there a known template I can use this method with for that?

Also, should I paint it before rivets?

Last edited:
THANKS Stealth!

I've been looking into an Iron man suit and *****, you found a way I can do it and afford right now and it looks amazing. :D

However I really am dead set on the Mark IV armor...is there a known template I can use this method with for that?

Also, should I paint it before rivets?

I painted it last. I painted the rivets and all.

I'm making War Machine templates right now but I don't have any plans to make any Mark IV templates.

A lot of people have been asking about the legs on this thread. tk1055 had an idea about using the chest pieces to make the shins and calves, so I gave that a try.

Just wanna share my results.

boy, its a tight squeeze, but my feet are size 12...

for the plates that stretch around to connect it all, i just freehanded the template. the last plate on the shine flares out a bit giving a neat look in my opinion

I added a picture of the back of the leg. i also showed the strap i used at the bottom to attach it all, just some velcrow.

Last edited:
A lot of people have been asking about the legs on this thread. tk1055 had an idea about using the chest pieces to make the shins and calves, so I gave that a try.

Just wanna share my results.

boy, its a tight squeeze, but my feet are size 12...

for the plates that stretch around to connect it all, i just freehanded the template. the last plate on the shine flares out a bit giving a neat look in my opinion

Dude awesome job on this, it's always cool to see people come up with the fixes to these issues on the fly.

Hey, if you light the eyes, what do you look out of? (slightly OT, sorry...)

I was wondering the same thing. Ive seen some tutorials on doing boxes within the eyes that hold the light, but my helmet has very small eyes...so I'm not sure it would be a good solution for me.

If anyone has any ideas, thatd be great.

Also, has anyone done the arc in this build yet? I'm using a tap light because i have very limited electrical skills...

Another issue I have been having is fitting the breast piece to the body. I cant think of a solution that would allow my arms to have full mobility. Any solutions?

I was wondering the same thing. Ive seen some tutorials on doing boxes within the eyes that hold the light, but my helmet has very small eyes...so I'm not sure it would be a good solution for me.

If anyone has any ideas, thatd be great.

Also, has anyone done the arc in this build yet? I'm using a tap light because i have very limited electrical skills...

Another issue I have been having is fitting the breast piece to the body. I cant think of a solution that would allow my arms to have full mobility. Any solutions?

Have mirrored lens (on a slight angle) that are lit by small LED's in the front, it won't inhibit your vision and will hide you eyes.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back