quakevirus's Iron Man Mark V with pics 06/10/10 (WIP portion is done.. well kinda)

SMOKE

I decided to start my own thread on pop rivets and trashcan plastic armor. i feel bad jacking fetts thread. this is my first (not last) attempt and making armor of anysorts..soo this is not exactly a tutorial but im sure it would help out some folks out there. Ok i used some of fetts templates and created some of my own. i'm gonna add pics of the suit i various stages of construction so that others making one can get an idea of how i did things. will be updating pretty frequently. thanks for looking!:)

first pics of chest area made with Fetts templates.
4594857371_1f459a45fc.jpg

after i attached the back plate, wings and spine section, i held them up with masking tape to figure out where i was going to put rivets and the velcro to hold it.
4594858399_a187559150.jpg

after i was happy with placement i riveted and velcroed it up.
4595475598_4c7256962b.jpg

ok skipping a few steps here. to get to the point im at in this pics. i cut two extra "track" pieces for the chest, split them lengthwise then scored and bent them to give them that kinda sectioned look. as far as the abs go. i made my own templates that uses the same method of attaching that Fett illustrated in his Mark V. i added more plates and straps. i used masking tape to line everything up and piece it together before i started adding rivets and straps to the abs.
4594864175_f38239d9f9.jpg

next i added the side plates and attached them to the torso. the way they are riveted, allows for forward and backward movement. the two rivets on the side plate are attached to the straps that connect to the abs. that way everything is all together but can still move.
4594865655_f38fafac70.jpg

heres and inside view of how its put together.
4595482340_1a2c372047.jpg

lets talk bells now.. i found these army helmets from walmart (4$ apeice) the curves are great for the Mark V bells.
4594867769_54c100a97c.jpg

some more shots of the bells( yes dual crossbows:love)
4594869897_27ef814ed8.jpg

after that i made a cod peice. went of pics and some hand drawn sketches from Punisher. (sidenote funny how the mark v has this lowrise bikini codpiece:lol)
4586117537_ca33e28324.jpg

after its alll together you shoud have something like this.
4584166418_1b3b898f92.jpg

i test fitted everthing and some things will need to be trimmed here and there.
4585674248_35c49634d1.jpg

back
4585674618_49f4a9e486.jpg

next i did the arms

forearm trimmed up
4589195919_706d919f67.jpg

inside the forearm
4589815856_747c45abf1.jpg

inside the bicep
4589197145_0f96c15b09.jpg

Last edited:
Re: quakevirus's Iron Man Mark V WIP with pics

after i made the forearm and bicep pieces. i added the elbow joint and elbow plate. i have trimmed some in areas on the inside of the forearm elbow region to prevent pinching.

4595593296_89e762c3dd.jpg

4594978699_e844529c97.jpg

Great work-in-progress photos, keep documenting and its looking very good so far.

Nice to see how this is coming along. I like the idea for the shoulder bells, looks very accurate.

cheers,

-Jay

Awesome work, dude! Nice job. Very clean looking. I'd love to have a bash off this. Do you plan on posting the templates for lesser mortals like myself? :lol

Thanks everyone for the comments! Should have a few more pics later this evening.

This is a great looking suit, very nice progress. I think I'll try one out sometime soon. :thumbsup

Already up in Fett's thread. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=84259
Thanks Finhead for that link! I used fetts templates to get me going chest arc, back plates. for the spine piece i used Fetts ab plates. the ab plating and side plating i made my own templates for. for the biceps i modified Fetts templates. forearms are my templates. cod piece i freehand drew it out. legs i plan on making my own(havent really gotten that far in planning yet) but i have no immediate plan to make pdf templates. after im done making the suit im gathering what ever templates ive used and made and sending them to a buddy so he can make a suit. i might be able to scan a few that i made and put them up before i send them off.

Last edited:

Cool, I had not looked through Fett's templates yet to busy with the Mark3. Sorry didn't realize they were incomplete, it would be great if you had the time to post your stuff up so a guy could have a really good starting point to go from. (y)cool

Cool, I had not looked through Fett's templates yet to busy with the Mark3. Sorry didn't realize they were incomplete, it would be great if you had the time to post your stuff up so a guy could have a really good starting point to go from. (y)cool
once i get a chance ill try and put up as much as i can. im about to get super busy with my kids summer visits. they are so pumped about the suit.:)

Here's a pic of how it looks with everything so far together. there are a few gaps in the upper chest area that stick out. im making templates now for the collar and the upper back to cover those spots. might modify Fetts abs to continue the spine to the bottom of the neck.
4596860424_440a4a152f.jpg

4596246459_d4bd0e0dac.jpg

Looking great man! How's the movement in that thing? Restrictive at all?

Looking great man! How's the movement in that thing? Restrictive at all?
Thanks man! mobility is pretty good. i can bend forwards and backwards pretty freely(the three side plates on each side each have a single pivot..3 pivots eachside). im going to have to upgrade the velcro on the back plate. im afraid its not gonna hold. and turning left to right is not too bad. the most restrictive part is the arms. most of my rotation comes from my arm turning in the gauntlet(being that its attached to the bicep) the next suit i make im hoping to figure out a solution to that.

Last edited:

almost forgot.. today i decided to attach the ab straps in the back.. i used 3M dual lock velcro. i glued it to the elastic with E-6000(i call it mega glue) seems like its gonna hold up. most likely going to use the same dual lock velcro on the back plates.
4596362661_335dddaa8c.jpg

Flippin SWEET! The templates were just to get people rolling and adjustments / mods are expected. I'm glad you took this and made it your own. It looks great! I can not wait to see this finished. I can't tell you how happy it is to see you making this and doing a MUCH better job than I could hope to. LOL! YOU ROCK!!!!

Keep us posted, this looks bad ass. My buddy says vac-table and certain plastics, this has my vote.
Keep up the good work!
:)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back