ESB Electrobinoculars SHOWOFF thread!!!

Re: Reference pic request: HOTH BINOCULARS!?

Are these large lense covers original SIMRAD parts?
Were these added later?

They're add on parts for sure.
The base piece with the large tabs is also used on FX-7.
The lens piece (missing on the "clean version") could be a lens from welding goggles?

Re: Electrobinoculars reference pic and research thread!!!

What fx7 Chris ... The robot ?

Markus

Last edited:

The "clean" version isn't what is seen onscreen, unless they both are the same piece and the front lens bezel has been replaced at some point.

The film used piece features the thicker one.

The "clean" version isn't what is seen onscreen, unless they both are the same piece and the front lens bezel has been replaced at some point.

The film used piece features the thicker one.

They're both the same. The "clean" one is just missing the lens ring (bezel) part. It must have fallen off.
Now that I think about it, it's probably not from welding goggles since the ring is originally gray - welding goggles are usually black - maybe protective goggles of some sort though.

BTW - I believe the reason one is clean is because that was the one restored for the Star Wars prop exhibit in Japan back in 1995.

Yes, FX-7 the droid.
See here...

fx7_electros.jpg

BUMP...any new ideas?

The silver thing on the top is obviously kind of slotted clampring. But the one seen on the prop has one flat side, while all others I´ve found on the web are round :unsure

specializace_14.jpg

Any other ideas reg. the front lense ring or the semitransparent thing the stuck in the left hole in the frontplate?

Markus

They're both the same. The "clean" one is just missing the lens ring (bezel) part. It must have fallen off.
Now that I think about it, it's probably not from welding goggles since the ring is originally gray - welding goggles are usually black - maybe protective goggles of some sort though.

BTW - I believe the reason one is clean is because that was the one restored for the Star Wars prop exhibit in Japan back in 1995.

Yes, FX-7 the droid.
See here...

fx7_electros.jpg

Hey Chris

I took a closer look at the knurled front-lense assembly and have to disagree...the base is not grey, but white plastic! The grey is the actual paint, which you can see pretty good when zooming in on the available reference pics. The ring also seems to be made of pretty soft plastic, since it shows a lot of scratches and dents in the actual straight knurling.

Still couldn´t find a match for the base/ ring, which is also found on FX-7. Here´s a -sorry, LARGE- pic of a container lid, that resembles it the most (but has 8, instead of 6 "bumps"):
auslauftalle-2-fach-b-008.jpg

What is the english name for this???

Markus

Were a pair of electrobinoculars not restored/repainted for ANH SE?

Might be, Marcus ... You guys are the experts ;)

But it seems like there's not much interest in this prop !? Can remember thedays where a research thread tied up the rpf's Sherlocks and got much of attention...ah, the good old days! :cry

Markus

I'm always interested in research. :)
I think that most of the part hunting for this piece is done. What's left is fairly generic and tough to track down. It also seems like lately RPFers just want to be told what found items were used and not do any new research - which is a shame.
I've actually been making lots of progress researching other SW props.

The 'container' you've found above is interesting.
What is it for?
It would help to have more to go on to help find the correct piece.

I already did a bunch of research for the top clamp and never found a match.

You're right about that front piece of course. It is white originally. I should have noticed the black overspray on the gray paint.

Here are a few of my thoughts on the front ring, It looks like it could be two seperate parts on top of each other to me. The ring with the six bumps, then another "milk bottle top?" with the milled lines, sitting on top of it.

The picture of the FX-7 part does not have the milled lines, so perhaps the second top piece was not added to that but was for the electros.

There also seems to be a step down from the end of the milled piece to the bumps piece. here's a pic to show what I mean.

Electrobins.jpg

The part that Markus posted looks like a kitchen sink drain to me, (I've had to re-plumb 3 sinks in the last year :angry)

Here are some left over rings I had in the workshop which look similar. I realise they are a completely different moulding, but maybe the same piece, just 30 odd years later? Also you can see the two different sizes I have here, just to further complicate things!

Electrobins02.jpg

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Sorry, ignore most of the first half of this post, I just read the thread again and realise it's all been discussed before! Apoligies!

Last edited:

I agree that the front lense detail is a plumbing pipe seal.

I used a bottle caps as well for my lense cover. Looked dead on.

Richie

Thanks for your input gentlemen and sorry for my absence during the last few days :$

Lonepigeon:
The black ring I posted is part of a spout from a large canister.
While it´s close it still is not correct and has 8 instead of 6 "tabs" :unsure
Still the best match so far...will have to check the measurements I took off the SIMRAD to see what O.D. we have to look for.

The search for the clampring is really frustrating...
I´m sure it should be no big deal to have this machined, but I´d prefer the real deal, of course :cool

Still waiting for Robs reply :unsure

Pete SSS:
The front lense assembly is definately two parts. The base with the 6 tabs and the large knurled ring.
The plumbing rings were the first parts I had in mind when I started looking for the add-on parts, but I never found anything close. Even the eye pieces have similar rings added, but I´m unsure if these could be just a variation of the original SIMRAD!? The viewer hood is another mystery to me :cry

Richie:
Do you still have one of the large knurled caps which you used on your Binocs?

Markus

ll have to dig out the molds. I wouldnt have the original peice used but I could probably make you a copy.

Richie

My first impression was of a US army angle flashlight. They make somewhat frosted lenses too.
They make them in AA, C, and D cell sizes

But after posting a pic, there is too much of a gap from edge to edge of the grip

Re: ESB Electrobinoculars research an SHOWOFF thread!!!

I made it...finally :)

After more than two years, I was able to built my very own Hoth binoculars.

This buildup is not meant to be totally accurate to the prop we see at the MoM tour. It´s more a generic interpretation of "a" set of Electrobinoculars.

Even if mostly finished, it actually is still a WIP and missing some parts/ accurizing, f.e.:
- Knurled insert in the clampring (had to return my master to be copied)
- Lenses need to be replaced with dark-grey material
- etc...

Overall I´m pretty excited to add this to my collection :)
I couldn´t bring myself to convert the REAL SIMRAD the molds were taken from, but hey...maybe in the future ;)
Right now it´s based on one of my resin kits, BUT with upgrades such as real V8 parts, metal clamp-ring, real vactube, real vintage camera strap.

Comments very welcome :thumbsup

WIPBinocs1.jpg

WIPBinocs2.jpg

WIPBinocs3.jpg

WIPBinocs4.jpg

WIPBinocs5.jpg

WIPBinocs6.jpg

WIPBinocs7.jpg

WIPBinocs8.jpg

Markus

Re: ESB Electrobinoculars research an SHOWOFF thread!!!

Outstanding.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the leather case as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back