Equinox Cephalopod Stop Motion Model Scale Replica

Obsart

Scale replica of the David Allen stop motion model from The Equinox: A Journey into the Supernatural (1965/67) and later seen in the 1970 Jack H. Harris theatrical release, Equinox.
D75C574C-7320-4DC2-BD95-AB0DB26C8AFD.jpeg

Attachments

• 39039B4F-C5CD-4B5A-86C6-61428A1524AF.jpeg
    39039B4F-C5CD-4B5A-86C6-61428A1524AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
  • 2BF4A50F-7620-4C34-8FB4-778733F5F30E.jpeg
    2BF4A50F-7620-4C34-8FB4-778733F5F30E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 102
Nice work! This is the first time I've ever seen a model based on that movie. Is it a kit or did you sculpt it your self?
Thanks so much. I appreciate the kind comment!

Yes, this is a new piece that I sculpted/molded/cast & finished. The image is of a reference copy that I made and I have another (with ball & socket armatured tentacles) ready to finish up when I have the chance.

It seems as though a few have done kits (to be honest, I did the first resin kit of Taurus back in the ‘90’s) and ever since I first caught Equinox when it was released here in LA in 1971 and found out both versions of the film were shot in the area I grew up in. Thanks to Forry Ackerman, I found out the guys who made the film lived nearby and I became friends with them (in 1994, I went to Romania to supervise the makeup effects on The Primevals with Dave Allen, so that was a bucket-list item kicked off).
A couple of years ago, I went ahead an did a similar armatured scale replica of the Taurus model. This was mainly because Dave Allen had given me the miniature book from the film and I thought that would make a nice display.

I do make these on a per order basis.

Attachments

• 45CDB292-94F9-4500-BAC3-EDF95F4210DB.jpeg
    45CDB292-94F9-4500-BAC3-EDF95F4210DB.jpeg
    657.4 KB · Views: 119
Wow. Excellent and spot on! The best reproduction of Taurus I've come across so far. Kudos!!
Please let me know if you are still taking orders for replicas.

Thanks!

-Ken-

Wow. Excellent and spot on! The best reproduction of Taurus I've come across so far. Kudos!!
Please let me know if you are still taking orders for replicas.

Thanks!

-Ken-
Thanks so much for your kind words Ken.
Taurus is very close to my heart as I first saw the model on a local Los Angeles TV station the morning my parents took me to see Equinox later that evening in 1971. The film literally changed my life at 8 years old and after finding out about the two versions and that they had both been shot in the area I grew up in, I
made a point to find out as much as I could about the film(s) and soon after, through Forry Ackerman, I became friends with Dennis Muren, Dave Allen, Jim Danforth, Mark McGee, Frank Bonner & Jack Harris and they gave me a ton of info. Dave Allen gave me the miniature book from the film and in 1994, I went over to Romania to head up the makeup effects dept. on The Primevals.
I had made a promise to myself in 1971 that one day, I’d have a copy of Taurus, even if I had to make it myself as Dave told me that the mold was gone by the time we met. During 2020, I was in the middle of making puppets for the feature, Abruptio and that’s when I realized that in March 2021 would be the 50th anniversary of Equinox’ release in Los Angeles so I decided to get the job done. This wasn’t my first attempt at the character, when I had my company Obscure Artifacts open in 1990’s, my first garage kit was Taurus and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Dave had one in his collection. A few years ago, I also made a three-inch tall silicone version with wire armature.
So to finish up, I do have the (Ultracal 30) mold and can make copies. I just make them to order.
Please feel free contact me at; obsart@live.com
I’ll send my number from there if you’d like to chat.

Thanks again!

Best,
Jeff

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back