Ennis House Tiles from Blade Runner

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading through the information. I would love to have enough tiles to cover a section of a wall and thought vacuum forming would be the best way. Does anyone have the 3D model one could export in a format that could be used for CNC milling? I appreciate your help.
finnbar

I was at Ennis house last November.
Whatever you guys do, you're gonna want to make them a little more durable than the Ennis ones are. The place is constantly under repair.

(I know we're talkin' about indoor use here, but still...)

I don't think anyone can argue that vac form ABS is the best way to make these...

We had a wall in our house that was covered with fake vac formed wood grain 1'X1' square tiles. The only thing we had problems with was the plastic was so thin, that they got dented. They were a product of the 70's,and were held on with double stick tape. After about being on the wall for 20 years, We pulled them off and painted the wall.

I could see these being vac formed, then maybe sprayed with an adheasive and dusted with stone powder to give them the stone look. These would be completely doable, plus, if you got a good enough pull of the master, you could use your vac as another mold, and use a little ultracal or something to make more masters to vac over. :thumbsup

I've been searching for someone who has knowledge with pepakura to unfold that file that was posted here. The hard part is finished, we just need someone to unfold it.

I've been searching for someone who has knowledge with pepakura to unfold that file that was posted here. The hard part is finished, we just need someone to unfold it.

The guy how made the file has been banned and i don't remember he posted the file before he got the ban. Unfolding a file is something i could do if i had the file.

Here are some 1/6 scale tiles that I'm making for a member over at Prop Summit. I built a CG model first, then used that to mill a pattern with the CNC router. From there a silicone mold and resin casting. The tiles are 2.66 inches square.

CRW_3741.jpg

CRW_3747.jpg

CRW_3745.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen the Ennis House neighbor who decided to stucco over the retaining wall? No respect....

map-1copy.jpg

And what's with all the Sparkletts bottles? Who lives there, Aquaman?

Hmm. The ones in the Farscape screen capture are different from the others. There is a circular recession, and the center raised squares rise higher than their neighboring elements. Now I'm curious to see screen shots of the other shows and movies they've showed up in, to see how many are like HMS Mike's, versus the Farscape exaggerated-relief ones.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this one, but the tiles appear to be in the background of Christopher Lee's house in "Howling 2".

Please don't take my knowing that as an endorsement of the film...

The tiles you guys may be seeing in the backgrounds of these other films and shows are likely the left over Deckard walls from the apartment set. They have since found their way into private hands and are well kept.

2m6lqx3.jpg

Hey guys! Long time lurker, here.

Just wanted to drop by and say “thanks” for all of the info on the site, especially to those who have contributed here in this thread on the Blade Runner tile.

I am a commercial photographer in Tunisia, and we don’t have anything but the most basic supplies…so I’m doing my best to build a couple tiles for a personal project photo shoot (no revenue generated, paid, or given. Just for fun).

Some lessons learned:
1) You shouldn’t do this in your wife’s kitchen.
2) Wear gloves.
3) Vaseline substitute here is very strange.
4) Neighbors think this is very weird.

So, the parameters.

Two kinds of tiles seem to be present in the movie. 1) Area by the elevator has a Lower Left Square, and Groove Right (LLGR) and 2) in most of the other areas, Lower Left Square Groove Top (LLGT). I am choosing to replicate LLGT.

I know the thickness of the tile at the square (lower left corner) is 4cm.
The width is 40.6cm square.
I can only get these supplies:
1) Foam board.
2) Silicone sealant.
3) Cement.
4) Bondo.
5) Chicken wire.
6) Sugar.
7) Olive oil.
8) Weird Vaseline substitute.
9) Construction adhesive.
10) Plaster.

I want one cement tile to start; just, well, because. :)

So, I started with a piece of foam board, and measured out the 40.6cm. Then I added a layer below it, 3cm bigger. Here’s why. Here we have two industries that I *may* be able to tap into to make these: 1) Paper Mache egg cartons and 2) Yogurt containers (which are vacuformed). If that happens; to put them quickly on the wall, I could place one tile, put a thumbtack in the center of each flange, then put the next tile over the flange…covering the thumbtacks.

IMG_2481 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

Anyhooo. I found a picture of an actual tile from Screenused and just measured everything out from the same corner in Photoshop. Once I divided everything into layers (this was tough because I couldn’t tell if the center of the inner square was the lowest level or layer two)…

IMG_2482 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2483 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2485 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

Of course, I had help. :)

IMG_2487 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2488 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2490 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

Once this was done, I used Bondo to cover all of the seams, and lightly sanded it with a drywall sanding block. I lightly rounded all the transitions from one layer to the next with something like acrylic caulk (they don’t have that actual product here, so I found some acrylic construction adhesive…which dried waaaay to fast, and basically was a nightmare).

IMG_2501 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

Then I spray painted everything to seal it.

IMG_2493 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

Then, I built the mold form.

IMG_2504 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2505 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2506 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

I brushed on some weird fake Vaseline that seemed to just be wax. It was way too thick, so I added olive oil to thin it. I then sprinkled coarse sugar on top, to give the final tile more of a weathered sandstone texture.

IMG_2508 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

After that, I tried the “silicone in a bucket of dish soap water” trick. Bad idea, lots of work. In the end, I just cut the entire end of the tube off and kneaded it with cornstarch. For two reasons 1) the cornstarch helps the silicone harden quickly and evenly and 2) it makes it possible to actually handle the stuff.

IMG_2518 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2512 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2509 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

The problem is we bought 15 tubes of the stuff, and basically that was every tube in town…which means I ran out (of course) ¾ of the way through. But, I did get all of the important stuff…so I just plastered the back to support it, and let it dry.

IMG_2521 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr

Since it wasn’t level on the back, I used loose sand to level it as best as I could…mixed up some concrete, and poured it in. Adding chicken wire, for support, of course.

IMG_2522 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2524 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2526 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2527 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2528 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2530 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
IMG_2532 by Robert Jewett, on Flickr
It’s drying now. I’ll add a post when I crack the mold... :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back