Ennis House Tiles from Blade Runner

Great project. I've always wanted one or two 1:1 vacuform casts of the Deckard apartment tiles for a display. I think they were 14-16 inches square?

Yeeeeah, I'm pretty sure I just ruined all my work by using old, crappy silicon molding agent.

I'm kinda bummed now. I wish I knew how to mold/cast stuff.

*sigh*

it has always been a goal of mine to have one room that almost
replicates Deckard's appartment.

But...the one thing that has kind of always been at the
back of my mind about those tiles is that they must
be a real ***** to dust and keep clean.

it has always been a goal of mine to have one room that almost
replicates Deckard's appartment.

But...the one thing that has kind of always been at the
back of my mind about those tiles is that they must
be a real ***** to dust and keep clean.

Canned Air. Would work like a champ. Besides, dusting is women's work.

True. I know this because I actually own two of the tiles from the movie set. They are gray, vacuformed styrene and painted to look like stone. I feel lucky to own anything from that movie as most of it is too expensive, destroyed or already apart of a private collection. Love to see sombody do a real apartment in these tiles:love

Hi Guys,
The panels that were used on Deckards apt. set , Were made of thin vacuumed formed styrene. The org. panels were .040 styrene. Other areas were fiberglass casts. If your going to make them by hand then I would make them out of MDF. Much easier to work with that plywood or plex and you can still bondo it to make the bevels.

3388044770_b8ee0e0864.jpg

I have a vacuum form mold to make the individual panels. I was aloud to mold one of the unused Cement panels from the house about 10 years ago.

Hope this helps,

HMS Mike

Here is a SketchUp file for those of us interested in doing our own runs. I would suggest keeping the master simple. It could be cut from various gauges of plastics, but unless you have your own, or cheap (free) access to a laser, it just isn't worth it. MDF and putty are definitely the way to go.

Cheers,

JM

I have not read all the posts here to see if it was mentioned but these are made commercially. Saw them used in an episode of Dexter. The police go to visit Dexters girlfriend at the hotel where she works and they are on the wall behind the registration desk. mAlso saw them on some crappy sitcom called "Cuts".

Last edited by a moderator:
For JW and Buffy fans they were used in Angel's crypt. There were also some publicity Shots of the cast of 'Firefly' set in the real FLW Ennis-Brown house I believe.

Andy

For JW and Buffy fans they were used in Angel's crypt. There were also some publicity Shots of the cast of 'Firefly' set in the real FLW Ennis-Brown house I believe.

Andy

and they made it into the delta quadrant in ST:voyager (probably thanks to HMS)
flw_tiles_in_delta.jpg

FWIW I made these 3" tiles for my BR blaster back in '01:

mount1.jpg

Last edited:
The house, and the tiles specifically, have been in numerous feature films and on TV.

Among the movies shot there,
"Karate Kid 3"
"House on Haunted Hill"
"Terminal Man"
"Blade Runner"
"The Howling II"
"Black Rain"
"Glimmer Man"
"The Rocketeer"
"Rush Hour"
"Thirteenth Floor"
"Predator 2"

I think it shows up for a moment in "Gattaca" too

Episodes of Buffy were actually shot at Ennis House.

Last edited:
Cool thread, guys! :thumbsup

I have a vacuum-formed female mold that someone in the LA prop community sold to me many years ago for $5:

Is this one of yours, Mike? I always thought I could use it as a master to make expandable foam or plaster tiles for my own wall, but never got around to it. What's the best course of action for making durable, lightweight tiles that I could double-sided tape or glue to drywall?

I also used dimensions from it to create the following 3D model:

It's more or less identical to the SketchUp model, but mine can be exported as CNC formats like IGES and STEP (skp files can only be converted to 3D print files like STL). I just need to add draft angles to all the vertical surfaces.

If anyone is considering making tooling for a 1:1 scale tile (or any scale, for that matter), they'd be welcome to my model - PM me.

I am going to make 3 different sized Ennis Tiles.

4", 8" and 16"

I should have the masters done sometime by Monday.

I could use some 2 or 3 inch tiles. I want to use them as corner piece for some moulding around the house. :)

I have a vacuum-formed female mold that someone in the LA prop community sold to me many years ago for $5:

Is this one of yours, Mike? I always thought I could use it as a master to make expandable foam or plaster tiles for my own wall, but never got around to it. What's the best course of action for making durable, lightweight tiles that I could double-sided tape or glue to drywall?

It's more or less identical to the SketchUp model, but mine can be exported as CNC formats like IGES and STEP (skp files can only be converted to 3D print files like STL). I just need to add draft angles to all the vertical surfaces.

If anyone is considering making tooling for a 1:1 scale tile (or any scale, for that matter), they'd be welcome to my model - PM me.

That is awesome !!!! I love anything that is vacuum formed and I had been wondering about this piece being done like this for some time now. I was so sure that there would be a webbing issue that I had decided I'd do a mold, but I just love how that vacuum formed tile looks.

Awesome work !!!

Yes,
That is one of my tiles I made a few years back. If you guys want some of these then PM me. I am open to making some more with the mold I have. I will not give any prices on this thread. But they will not be $5.00 .

Just to let you know I love those mini tiles, There great.

HMS Mike

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back